Lord Shiva's Statue in Rishikesh

johnee

Kailasanatha Temple, Ellora

Lord Brahma driving Tripurantaka's chariot

Trimurti, with Lord Shiva emerging from linga

Lord Brahma officiates at Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati's wedding

Lord Brahma with Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati

Standing Trimurti(Divine Trinity of Lord Vishnu, Lord Brahma and Lord Shiva )

Link

Vyom

Seeker
Thanks for sharing all these pictures and info, johnee!

Reading through your posts it comes to me, how much this modern India has been alienated from its root and so much precious knowledge has been lost. *Sighs*

How much, after all, we understand our own past?

Last edited:

johnee

Thanx, Vyom. I agree with you, we are increasingly alienated from our cultural roots. Reviving Sanskrit would be one sure shot way to reverse this trend.

Iamanidiot

reviving sanskrit?what for sanskrit was never the lingua franca and it will never be

johnee

Sanskrit was the national language of India. After its near extinction, there is no language to replace it through out India. There were attempts to push Hindi as the national language of India and this was resisted by the south India particularly Tamilnadu. Today, the English is used to fill that vaccum. But English, at the end of the day, is a foreign language. Sanskrit, on the other hand, is the original Indian language. Most other languages of India are directly or indirectly derived from Sanskrit. Learning that Sanskrit, prepares an individual to a position where he can primitively understand most other Indian languages. Further, Sanskrit contain vast amounts of Indian literature which are untapped by modern India due to its lack of knowledge in Sanskrit. Sanskrit is also considered to be a more complex language and learning it would be beneficial to the IQ of youngsters.

Sanskrit was much more of a lingua franca than English is in the modern India....

From Hindus' point of view, Sanskrit language contains most of the scriptures and hence knowledge of Sansrit would help the Hindus to keep their faith. In these days of rampant illegal prostelysation, it is a must for a Hindu.

BTW, what exactly is your objection to reviving Sanskrit?

Iamanidiot

Sanskrit was the national language of India. After its near extinction, there is no language to replace it through out India. There were attempts to push Hindi as the national language of India and this was resisted by the south India particularly Tamilnadu. Today, the English is used to fill that vaccum. But English, at the end of the day, is a foreign language. Sanskrit, on the other hand, is the original Indian language. Most other languages of India are directly or indirectly derived from Sanskrit. Learning that Sanskrit, prepares an individual to a position where he can primitively understand most other Indian languages. Further, Sanskrit contain vast amounts of Indian literature which are untapped by modern India due to its lack of knowledge in Sanskrit. Sanskrit is also considered to be a more complex language and learning it would be beneficial to the IQ of youngsters.
Understanding other indian languages what for?Knowing Hindhi and English is enough the individual will be able to rule the roost in the world.What material benefits does learning sanskrit accrue
Sanskrit was much more of a lingua franca than English is in the modern India....
sanskrit never was the national language neither in the ancient period,nor in the medieval period nor in the modern period.Atmost it was a brahamanical language used by them mostly only for eccleastical and scholarly purposes.It was all greek and latin for common individual

From Hindus' point of view, Sanskrit language contains most of the scriptures and hence knowledge of Sansrit would help the Hindus to keep their faith. In these days of rampant illegal prostelysation, it is a must for a Hindu.
Define a Hindu individual for me first

BTW, what exactly is your objection to reviving Sanskrit?
No tangible gains

johnee

Understanding other indian languages what for?Knowing Hindhi and English is enough the individual will be able to rule the roost in the world.What material benefits does learning sanskrit accrue
Why learn Hindi even? Learn English and rule the roost...

sanskrit never was the national language neither in the ancient period,nor in the medieval period nor in the modern period.Atmost it was a brahamanical language used by them mostly only for eccleastical and scholarly purposes.It was all greek and latin for common individual
Bro, even English is greek and latin for aam aadhmi in modern India. Your idea of national language is wrong in itself.

Debate for the sake of debate is useless. Most people understand what is meant by a Hindu, if you dont, then its your problem.

No tangible gains
There are no tangible gains of learning any language for that matter. Should we abandon learning our mother tongues as well? Language and culture are closely associated. Thats the reason, mother tongue is learnt. And thats the reason Sanskrit deserves to be learnt for it is closely associated with Indian culture. Now, dont ask me to define Indian culture...
Anyway, your antagonism to what you consider as brahaminical is quite amusing.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Very less you know about real Indian history and heritage. All the good books whose ideas had been stolen and written as ideas of west were in Sankskrit. You may be aware of Political Science but i guess you are not aware of Chanakyaniti. Man if you were having slightest idea and knowledge about snaktrit you would have been knowing what is written in Chanakyaniti and how western world produces it as their own.

Some question:
a. Do you know thousands of years before Galilio, an Indian Khagolvid Arayabhata discovered that earth revolves around sun in definite orbit and a year constitutes of 365 days?

b. Do you know value of pie is 22/7 was discovered in Bharat and first book on trigonometry was written in sanksrit?

Recently i met a guy in delhi who is from Bangalore. He is post graduate in Sanskrit and was preparing for Civil Services. He told me that how he was surprised to know that how much gold is in our ancient books. He gave me various example and requested me to develop reading knowledge in sanskrit. He said "you will be surprised to know how shamelessly west claims something as their's which in fact is ours".

He later said "understand to know hear to get fooled". Idea was ample clear.

No tangible gains
Self respect at least and infinity at best.

Last edited:

Iamanidiot

Sanskrit was never the lingua franca I repeat and I don't see the use of learning it

johnee

Sanskrit was never the lingua franca I repeat and I don't see the use of learning it
because you consider it to be a Brahmanical language? My little cousin does not see any use of learning maths, he just likes cartoons. ;)

Iamanidiot

Very less you know about real Indian history and heritage. All the good books whose ideas has been stolen and written as ideas of west were in Sankskrit. You may be aware of Political Science and but i guess you are not aware of Chanakyaniti. Man if you were having slightest idea and knowledge about snaktrit you would have been knowing what is written in Chanakyaniti and how western world produces it as their own.
The Arthashasthra manuscript discovered by Shyama sastry was written in grantha language.Ever heard that a language and script called grantha exist.Every civilization has its own version of Chanakyaneethi.The Chinese have "the art of war" written by Sun Tzu,Machiavellis "the prince",Even the Islamic hadiths are great depositories of realpolitik.The existence of these books was known since quite a few centuries to millenia unlike arthashastra

Some question:
a. Do you know thousands of years before Galilio, an Indian Khagolvid Arayabhata discovered that earth revolves around sun in definite orbit and a year constitutes of 365 days?

b. Do you know value of pie is 22/7 was discovered in Bharat and first book on trigonometry was written in sanksrit?
a)the books name is suryasiddhanta
b)Its actually rekhaganitha which knowledge is first sctually mentioned in atharva veda I think
Recently i met a guy in delhi who is from Bangalore. He is post graduate in Sanskrit and was preparing for Civil Services. He told me that how he was surprised to know that how much gold is in our ancient books. He gave me various example and requested me to develop reading knowledge in sanskrit. He said "you will be surprised to know how shamelessly west claims something as their's which in fact is ours".

He later said "understand to know hear to get fooled". Idea was ample clear.
Problem is legend mixed with science no one will take the work seriously

Iamanidiot

Pali,Prakrit,sauraseni,ardhamagadhi,kharosthi and tamil were the lingua franca(Brahmi script) .Sanskrit was a very brahmanical language

johnee

Pali,Prakrit,sauraseni,ardhamagadhi,kharosthi and tamil were the lingua franca(Brahmi script) .Sanskrit was a very brahmanical language
Those languages, that you mention, were regional languages. Sanskrit was the pan Indian language used and understood from the present day NWFP to Myanmar and beyond, from Kashmir to Kanyakumari.

And whether Sanskrit is useful or not can be determined only by learning it. It is a language that contains the greatest amount of literature produced in India.

If by Brahmanical, you mean elite, then any pan Indian language will remain a elitist language in one sense or the other. The day-to-day languages will be regional languages.

Iamanidiot

Those languages, that you mention, were regional languages. Sanskrit was the pan Indian language used and understood from the present day NWFP to Myanmar and beyond, from Kashmir to Kanyakumari.

And whether Sanskrit is useful or not can be determined only by learning it. It is a language that contains the greatest amount of literature produced in India.

If by Brahmanical, you mean elite, then any pan Indian language will remain a elitist language in one sense or the other. The day-to-day languages will be regional languages.
What the heck are you talking pali and prakrit are regional languages?ROTFLAMO!Now Iam laughing johnee boy(Try to figure out why?)
Where did you get that from?Truck load of horse puckey

Vyom

Seeker
Do you know the two greatest thing a man could earn? They are knowledge and time. And just to let you know that material benefit is not even close to them. Whilst time cannot be earned, knowledge and wisdom are the only greatest thing a man could earn. A language, that of the stature of Sanskrit, is an honor to learn. It opens door to a lot more cognizable materials.

I don't think we can debate over whether it was a national language or not, but seeing the amount of texts written in the language and found in various parts of the country, it is logical to think that it was most widely used - even if only by the elites.

I think if you see someone who is neither a Christian nor a Muslim nor a Buddhist nor of any other religion and neither is atheist, you can be fairly sure that he is a Hindu.

No tangible gains
I agree no tangible gains, for knowledge and wisdom are not tangible. Yet to preserve thousands of years of heritage - it is worth learning.

johnee

Lord Shiva statue at the Rishikesh was washed away by the floods:

New statue of the Lord was installed later:

Last edited by a moderator:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I was there the day when that Statue was washed away by the flood!! The people of the ashram where very disappointed.

The new statue looks bad, the old one was better.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles