London Olympics Opening Ceremony, Worst ever ?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I wonder what the security arrangements are ? some lady was allowed to walk with the Indian athletes even though she wasn't cleared to be anywhere near that area.

They got lucky...imagine if it was some terrorist. The british must give us a formal apology for this lapse in security.

LalTopi

Yes, I have a picture of that. I was not sure who she was.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
That's a poll. Based on immigration, I'd say US is #1.
Actually it is based on WHO, government as well as polling data. US only has more because there is just a waist deep river between it and poverty. We have an entire sea.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Indian Olympians see red: Gate-crashing girl steals spotlight from athletes

A girl wearing a bright-red blouse gate-crashed the march of the Indian Olympic team at the opening ceremony, infuriating the guests and embarrassing the host's security staff.

-The company came out of the blue for the Indian delegation comprising around 40 athletes and 11 officials, acting chef de mission Brig PKM Raja was quoted as saying by the Times of India newspaper.

First a man, whom the Indians thought to be a member of the organizing committee or a security person, asked them to let the girl walk in front of them. The Indians thought the girl was also one of the organizers. After they all entered the Olympic Stadium, she fell back and walked next to the Indian flag-bearing wrestler Sushil Kumar.

The girl's red and turquoise costume was in sharp contrast to the team's yellow and blue clothes. Also strikingly missing in the photo was an ID badge, which everyone taking part in the march is supposed to wear.

Raja said he would be taking the incident up with the organizers.

"We will ask for an apology. She embarrassed us in front of the world"¦ the Indian contingent was shown for just 10 seconds, and to think this lady hogged all the limelight," he is quoted as saying.

When asked whether he considered it a security breach, Raja said: "I can't say that as she was in a sanitized zone, but this was bizarre."

Indian newspaper The Asian Age identifies the female as Mathura Honey, a post-graduate from the city of Bengaluru. It says the woman has been living in London lately and had reported her Olympic opening stunt on her Facebook account. The latter has since been deactivated, the newspaper says.
Source: RT

I wonder what the security arrangements are ? some lady was allowed to walk with the Indian athletes even though she wasn't cleared to be anywhere near that area.

They got lucky...imagine if it was some terrorist. The british must give us a formal apology for this lapse in security.
Yeah, I agree they need to apologize for this lapse in security. The situation could have gotten real bad.

And as expected this is not on the BBC News Feed. :)

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Best Olympics Ever: Free Tickets :rotflmao::rotflmao:

Absent 'family': Thousands of empty seats at 'sold out' Olympic venues

Organizers of the London Olympics have been forced to give free tickets to soldiers as events sold out to the public months ago have and rows of empty seats. Bureaucrats and VIPs from the so-called "Olympic family" are blamed.

-The tennis at Wimbledon, the beach volleyball on Horse Guards Parade, and the gymnastics in the North Greenwich Arena, formerly The Dome, where the UK team was considered one of the favorites, remained half-empty – despite no tickets ever being on general sale. Entire blocks of empty seats – almost always those with the best views near the action – have been seen on millions of TV screens during the live broadcasts.

Jeremy Hunt, the Olympics Minister, said the lack of spectators was "very disappointing", while the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, Locog, has promised a "full review".
Pics & More go to this link (Source: RT)

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
London Olympics: Empty seats prompt investigation
Alok Sinha

LONDON: Hardev Singh was a desperate man on Sunday. The 50-year-old Londoner and his son Sunil were stopping almost every person with an Olympic tag around their neck, asking for tickets. He was agitated and did not bother to even listen to visiting journalists who had no idea about tickets.

"You are an Indian? Help me out. I know there are empty stands, so why deny me?", he pleaded. Singh was not the only one looking for tickets outside the Westfield Mall in Stratford on Sunday. Susan Smith wanted to get into the swimming complex. "I saw empty stands at Wimbledon on TV and they say there are no tickets. Something is wrong somewhere," she fumed.

"I also read reports of empty stands in the Aquatic Area so why are there no tickets, even on the website (Ticketmaster)? Why can't I get in with my daughters when there are seats and I want to pay?" she said.

It reminded one of the 2010 Delhi CWG, where events at some venues were held to almost empty galleries despite tickets having been sold out. In fact, the organizers (LOCOG) have claimed that empty stands are due to tickets allocated to the "Olympic family' and sponsors (1.1 million tickets overall have been reserved for them). Every National Olympic Committee (NOC) has been given tickets. "If they don't use the tickets what do we do?" said an official.

The fact is Olympic family tickets will not fill up stands. They would just be a percentage of total number of seats. There were reports in London newspapers that organizers have been so rattled by empty stands that they have brought in soldiers to fill the empty seats. Quite like the Delhi Games, you would say.

The Guardian reported that those soldiers whose leaves had been cancelled to provide emergency cover after the Games organizers failed to find enough security guards, would be issued with last-minute invites to take seats in venues when blocks of seats were found to be empty.

The strangest bit is that the stadium at Wimbledon was half empty when tennis icon Roger Federer was playing and several seats were empty at the swimming arena when Michael Phelps and his US rival Ryan Lochte met in the heats on Saturday. These events were assumed to have been sold out long ago.

LOCOG chairman Sebastian Coe, however, was living in denial mode. He told the Guardian: "Let's put this in perspective. Those venues are stuffed to the gunnels."

Well, to put it in perspective, an official enquiry has been ordered and Britain's culture secretary, Jeremy Hunt is "very disappointed" with the whole affair. The organizers were expecting the sports-loving citizens to come out in huge numbers, especially on the weekend, and are now red-faced. So, where are the fans?

There were full houses - like the boxing arena at Excel, archery at Lord's or even shooting at the Royal Artillery Barracks ranges, which are way out of the city - but not every stadium has been getting the rush expected.

There were reports on Sunday that the British Olympic Association ( BOA) chairman, Lord Moynihan has suggested a "half-hour rule" where unused seats could be given to fans waiting outside the stadiums if they weren't taken up in 30 minutes.

Probably that will work. These are still early days but with the weekend getting over, the coming week will be a litmus test for "the greatest show on earth" and a 'sports-crazy' nation.

London Olympics: Empty seats prompt investigation - The Times of India

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag

Good one. Your post reminded me of the BBC's so-called "security concerns" in the CWG games. :D

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Instead of selling the tickets, they are giving them away to soldiers and students... sounds familiar. :rolleyes:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Best Olympics Ever: Free Tickets :rotflmao::rotflmao:

Absent 'family': Thousands of empty seats at 'sold out' Olympic venues

Organizers of the London Olympics have been forced to give free tickets to soldiers as events sold out to the public months ago have and rows of empty seats. Bureaucrats and VIPs from the so-called "Olympic family" are blamed.

-The tennis at Wimbledon, the beach volleyball on Horse Guards Parade, and the gymnastics in the North Greenwich Arena, formerly The Dome, where the UK team was considered one of the favorites, remained half-empty – despite no tickets ever being on general sale. Entire blocks of empty seats – almost always those with the best views near the action – have been seen on millions of TV screens during the live broadcasts.

Jeremy Hunt, the Olympics Minister, said the lack of spectators was "very disappointing", while the London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games, Locog, has promised a "full review".

Pics & More go to this link (Source: RT)
Now look at the BBC version of the same news.

Olympic tickets: More put on sale

More Olympic tickets will go on sale after the row over empty seats, organisers Locog have said.

It said an initial 3,000 tickets - including 600 gymnastics tickets - were "put back into the pot" and sold on the London 2012 website on Sunday night.

After a smooth morning rush hour, London Bridge station is expected to be particularly busy in the evening.

And in an historic success, Team GB's men's gymnasts won bronze - the first medal in 100 years.

They had initially won silver, but were demoted after fourth-place Japan successfully challenged the result, moving up to silver.

With evening events expected to impact London transport, six platforms at London Bridge are exit-only between 18:00 BST and 22:00 BST to handle an expected 50,000 equestrian spectators moving through it.

There was evidence of unusually quiet Tube platforms in the early evening at some stations, while at others there was the usual level of passengers for a Monday, BBC reporters said.
More @ Source: BBC

Notice, how they totally avoid the subject and talk about medals and stuff. LOL
Is that the best you got BBC ? Pathetic

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
BBC = Bluff and Bluster Corporation!

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
'We're bleeding' – London's theatres, shops and hotels claim they are suffering because of the Olympics

The Olympics is turning central London into a "ghost town" as the games put off thousands of visitors to the city.

Shops, hotels and theatres owners say that many people are staying at home and staying away, fearful that they will get caught up in congestion and be overcharged.

More than 100,000 fans – a record – have flocked to the host city to watch the "the biggest show on earth" but that is putting off other tourists who normally flock to the city.

An estimated 300,000 foreign tourists would normally be expected in a typical year. Londoners are also staying away, believing everything to be full and busy.

"We're bleeding, darling," said Nica Burns, chief executive of Nimax Theatres, told the Financial Times.

"For my six theatres, last week was the worst this year. I think the Olympics are great – but I feel like I've been the bullseye for the archery competition."

Ms Burns believes that ticket sales at her company's six West End theatres could be down almost a third for the summer.
Other tourist attractions, such as museums, are also suffering with footfall down by 30-35 per cent over the past fortnight.
Bernard Donoghue, chief executive of the Association of Leading Visitor Attractions, whose members include the British Museum, the Tower of London and the Science Museum – "have been trying to compensate by telling people there are fewer queues and longer opening hours".

Transport for London has been warning for months of heavy disruption over the summer in central London and urging travellers to avoid transport hubs and plan alternative routes.

The voice of Boris Johnson, London's mayor, has boomed from station platforms warning of the imminent "huge pressure" on the transport system.

TfL said estimates of journeys on the Tube were up 4 per cent on Monday from normal traffic.

In response to slow bookings, hotels have now cut prices. Research by Hotels.com said prices in London during the Olympics had fallen around 25 per cent in a two-week period in June.

Nick Palan, managing director for Golden Tours, an open-top tour bus company, said: "It's totally destroyed the market for us this summer.

The hotels put up prices heavily earlier in the year and some of the larger tour companies literally stopped selling London back in May. We're down by over 20 per cent."

David Cameron, prime minister, has said £13bn of economic investment should flow from the games over four years, some of which is from tourism.

But in the short term, the benefits are more elusive.

Mark Field, a London Conservative MP, said: "The message has been going out for months that London would be packed to the rafters – and the transport system would be under pressure – and that has put a lot of people off.

"The high-end hoteliers are fine because of all the official Olympic guests but many others have not benefited so much."
Mr Donoghue of ALVA said the body had asked TfL to alter its advice to travellers: "As long as you avoid peak times and stations, London is surprisingly accessible and open for business."

Businesses in the town hosting Olympic sailing have claimed that far from heralding a spending bonanza, the Games have damaged trade.

Weymouth was expected to attract more than 60,000 visitors a day, but while the main spectator arena has been sold out, a separate 15,000–capacity live area on the beach is struggling to attract more than 1,000 a time, it was reported.

Retailers say that at a time of year when they would normally be expecting visitors to flock to the beach, the resort is "dead". "The Olympics have damaged my business," said Dennis Spurr, of The Fantastic Sausage Company.

"It's the negative advertising – beat the delays, plan your journey now, come by train – people have been put off. Normally this time of year you can't move. The town is dead and businesses are really worried."

James Parsons, 42, owner of the Nothe Tavern near the ticketed Olympic site at Nothe Fort, said business was much quieter on the opening day of the sailing events than a usual Sunday in July.

'We're bleeding, darling' – London's theatres, shops and hotels claim they are suffering because of the Olympics - Telegraph

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles