London Olympics Opening Ceremony, Worst ever ?

john70

Country flag
so you think CWG opening was better?
Yes Tianshan, I feel so.

And one more thing this is a quote from The telegraph india, and not mine. Yet the observations made by him/her match mine that was the reason of posting it here. And it has nothing to do with India - Britain, it is just simple comparison that which show made you sit there with awe and which didn't no bashing of countries and cultures involved, and get it right as it is.

I agree to his view :

And it was when I saw young children jumping up and down on the NHS hospital beds and women dressed as nurses doing a really bad imitation of "ringa ringa roses" or some such "dance" that I looked back with wonder at the CWG opening ceremony.
In Delhi too, that early October evening, there were thousands of performers on our far-less-grandly designed set. But there was melody and rhythm, grace and harmony. The CWG opening ceremony began with drummers from all parts of India with seven-year-old Keshav taking the lead, and the sounds from myriad percussion instruments echoed through the nation for a long time afterwards
And if you have not watched it watch it now to decide on your own, leave aside CHINESE - INDIAN - BRITISH nationalities and opine what you feel !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tianshan

i thought that the london opening ceremony was very good.

i also thought that delhi opening ceremony was very good as well.

i don't get all the fuss.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
i thought that the london opening ceremony was very good.

i also thought that india's delhi opening ceremony was very good.

i don't get all the fuss.
Many people are comparing it to the Beijing Olympic ceremony

Tianshan

"better" or not is subjective, i think all three (london/delhi/beijing) were exceptional opening ceremonies.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Many people are comparing it to the Beijing Olympic ceremony
That is where the comparison is all about - the two Olympics and the difference.

All said and done, the British have done something that I am a bit embarrassed about - making the Queen the New BOND girl.

Bond's girls are NOT quite the example one would fit the British Monarch, who is all dignity and poise.

Maybe this was the subtle English humour we are constantly reminded about.

Rather quirky and Boyle promised it would be quirky and eccentric!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
"better" or not is subjective, i think all three (london/delhi/beijing) were exceptional opening ceremonies.
Commentators have felt that the Beijing Olympics was glitz and glitter, loud and proud, while the London Olympics was quiet and distinguished and definitely full of dignity and decorum demanded by the majesty of the event and oozing with the famed British understatement.

john70

Country flag
Another thing, Tianshen - comparison is a way of life, here we regularly compare Indian millitary with every other, we compare price when we go to buy something, we compary quality when we have to pay price, we compare people when we are in groups, we compare services when we want attension...... Its a way of life.

Frankly I was expecting a lot from British who are holding their third Olympic event, only one in world to do so. The British were people who have influenced the world with their millitary and English language, we are not talking of someone ordinary. We were expecting a Gala show, but were left aghast with a not so spectacular show.

Reactions: Ray

Tianshan

Commentators have felt that the Beijing Olympics was glitz and glitter, loud and proud, while the London Olympics was quiet and distinguished and definitely full of dignity and decorum demanded by the majesty of the event and oozing with the famed British understatement.
every country will use a different style.

the beijing opening ceremony i thought maybe too culturally "chinese" and maybe foreigners won't understand many of the things there. but even though they did not know exactly what it was about and the history behind it, maybe they appreciated the show and the atmosphere.

same with britain, they tried their own "british humor", and it worked i think. maybe i did not understand everything but i enjoyed it.

i don't want to compare london/delhi/beijing directly because i think they were all exceptional in their own ways.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Actually China had to prove that they have 'arrived'!

Hence the glitz and glitter.

The British, I think, felt that they had nothing to prove to the world which has already seen them through history.

Though, as John says, many thought the British could have done better since they were world leader at one time and many had hope in them being on the Top of the World.

LalTopi

Actually, I was at the opening ceremony, cheering on both India and team GB. I will post some pics later.

I thought Danny Boyle did a superb job.

LalTopi

Armand.
I am a fan of both Paris and London. I would say London is economically more successful and far more cosmopolitan. Paris looks better architecturally.

Overall foreigners prefer to live in London.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
every country will use a different style.

the beijing opening ceremony i thought maybe too culturally "chinese" and maybe foreigners won't understand many of the things there. but even though they did not know exactly what it was about and the history behind it, maybe they appreciated the show and the atmosphere.

same with britain, they tried their own "british humor", and it worked i think. maybe i did not understand everything but i enjoyed it.

i don't want to compare london/delhi/beijing directly because i think they were all exceptional in their own ways.
By mocking itself, Britain proves why it is not China and displays a deep-rooted sense of self-confidence
Greatness in lightness

Huh! Why I liked CWG better

Hari Sud

Country flag
Brits could do better. They have the skill, talent and money to that. Somehow they chose a pathetic director of Slum Dog Millionaire to present Britain to the world. He had made a movie of worst of India - Mumbai in particular. Now he has done it again. He has not brought out the best of Britain. Rather in his enthusiasm done a bad job. On a scale of one to ten, London opening ceremony is about 3; Beijing - 7. New Delhi was one third of the games in terms of Commonwealth Games as opposed to Olympics at London. Its opening ceremony was at 7; far ahead of London.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
The British, I think, felt that they had nothing to prove to the world which has already seen them through history.
There is more to British history than P. L. Travers and J. M. Barrie.:rolleyes:

Scalieback

Professional
There is more to British history than P. L. Travers and J. M. Barrie.:rolleyes:
A hell of a lot more. Still won't stop people on here trashing it though ;) And of course, the French contingent getting their inevitable needles in :)

LalTopi

@Hari Sud
Slumdog Millionaire was if anything a sanitised version of the original book 'Questions and Answers', which was written by an Indian diplomat. An excellent book, I do recommend anyone to read it.

As I said, I found the opening ceremony to be original and highly entertaining. Beijing was good, so was Delhi, and so is London.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles