Literacy rate jumps 10% in a decade in India

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by pmaitra, Nov 23, 2014.

1. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Literacy rate jumps 10% in a decade in India

Read full: Literacy rate jumps 10% in a decade in India - The Times of India

3. santosh10

santosh10 Senior Member Senior Member

we have a report from the Indian government for the year 2011 as below, which means the Youth Literacy rate would touch 90%+ by 2014 :ranger:

Srinivas_K likes this.
  4. CrYsIs

CrYsIs Regular Member

Before you jump in to celebrate!

Look at hard facts....

India's literacy rates even with 74% is one of the lowest in the world.Whats more worrying is that female literacy rate is just 65%.

When you have nearly 40% of your female population illiterate,rest assured you are no nearer to solving your myriads of socio economic issues.

Also in this space age just because you can read "i am ram" and "i am shyam" does not guarantee you success in life.

We should also worry more about giving quality education to our young population.

5. LordOfTheUnderworlds

LordOfTheUnderworlds Regular Member

Since five decades, literacy rate has been slowly but steadily improving by nearly 10 % every decade.

[​IMG]

So within a decade it should be around 85% with most of the illiterates being in older age group. Most of the young population i.e more than 90% already have at least primary education.Though there are problems like quality of education, regional variation etc, this is not a bad number ; it is good enough to provide required population base for rapid industrialization and urbanization of old feudal India restrained by shackles of Caste system. I think it is one of the reasons why India is poised for unprecedented economic growth in next 2-3 decades starting now.

It just needs good management and united focussed efforts, for which people have voted in Modi for next decade.

Ironically, credit will be taken by the loudmouth political groups which were long seen to represent interests of upper castes and singing glories of old social system.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
    santosh10 and LalTopi like this.
  6. ninja85

ninja85 Regular Member

india have huge population too except china so considering this its maybe ok,people here poor too so not so supportive environment for education u know.

7. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

steps in right diection:india::india::india:

8. Nicky G

Nicky G Senior Member Senior Member

Absolutely.

Female education, particularly young girls is most critical and pressing need in this context.

I remember reading that the countries with the most socioeconomic problems often have the lowest female literacy rate. Would need to validate that though.

True, however quality education should not necessarily mean university.

If we are serious about India as an manufacturing base, we need skilled laborers.

santosh10 and CrYsIs like this.
  9. Kshatriya87

Kshatriya87 Senior Member Senior Member

Though the rise is commendable, the fact that there are over 2 crore families in India without even a single member disappoints me.

10. Kshatriya87

Kshatriya87 Senior Member Senior Member

Sir, what do you think the cause is for no literate member in 2.42 crore families is? For me the other families are not of concern as literacy and education have been introduced there and by continuing the same efforts, the literacy rate in those families will increase. But these 2.42 crore families indicate the following;

1. They have not been introduced to the idea of education.
    2. They do no have the necessary facilities e.g. schools, awareness etc.
    3. Money. They just cannot afford to send their children to school.

11. santosh10

santosh10 Senior Member Senior Member

@CrYsIs

hmmm, as per census 2011, we now find youth literacy rate at well over 90% by 2014, and its mainly because we find closed to 100% attendance of kids in primary schools since 1998. and this does means that literacy rate of India would improve by at least 1% to 2% every year. so you would now consider it at around 85% by 2020, and closed to 95%+ by 2030, as we find most of the illiterates belong to the older age group

for example of the news in post#2, as below, literacy rate of India was hardly around 12% in 1947, would be around 20% by 1960, 30% by 1970 etc etc. so it does mean that closed to 100% kids attendance since 1998 is replacing the old age group people with least literacy rate :ranger:

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  12. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

It is more like the parents are compelled to send their children to work instead of going to school for the sake of feeding themsevles. Education is not expensive in India, but buying basic things, like notebooks, and pencils, still cost money, and for a few people, (few, amongst 1.2 billion Indians) cannot afford that.

Peter and Kshatriya87 like this.
  13. jouni

jouni Senior Member Senior Member

During time of your independence , you had literacy rate of 15%. Interesting, that is huge improvement from there. On the other hand, I now understand why some still patronise you. 70 years ago Europe was almost like it is now, but India must have been a quite a bit different.

14. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

when I wandered in Kathmandu it was an eye opener for me. Children there attended school maybe 6:00~11:00 AM then they work rest of the day mostly in cafeterias alike or study on their own (some in study groups). in case they want additional courses PM they have to pay extra tuitions. students are impressively hard-working, visibly reading in the crowded Palace Durbar Square though their school facilicities looked simple.

their textbooks (Maths) r in English. English proficiency is good for their international exposure.

Nepal might be an epitome of S. Asia I guess.

Peter and jouni like this.