Link Language for India - Suggestions

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Oracle, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Well! It depends on what you read between the lines.

If I, coming from one of the most backward regions of NE India know Hindi, what troubles South Indians in learning it?

Of all the years I have been working, I have worked in Tamilnadu too. So, dude I got practical experience of what life is in South Indian states. You can speak Hindi and survive in Arunachal Pradesh but not in TamilNadu. Is that not a shame?

Hindi may not be the national language of India, but most and majority of Indians speak Hindi all over, if South Indians can just learn it - won't it make life a little easier?

What the f**k is the fight all about?

MOD EDIT: Take it to another thread. Not here

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  3. Adux

Adux Senior Member Senior Member

So Hindi is the super language and others arent. Well Boofvckingya, not happening. Why dont North Indians learn Malayalam, it is a very nice language and good exercise for the tongue.Lets get that the National Language, what say. North Indians arent lords of India, Want the better solution, learn english. India isnt China. There is something called Cultural and Social Genocide. South Indians arent going to allow it, I know Hindi, But if some areshole imagine just because I am an Indian, I speak Hindi, I can make him sweat it, and speak english or my language.

4. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Ah! the mods you are. My next post would have been the friends and colleagues I made in Chennai, who are Tamils and speak better Hindi than myself. Those guys of this generation who sing bollywood tunes and dance to Hindi numbers. But you are right, that's not acceptable. I am moving on.

Make sure, you gauge the theme and tone of my posts from next time, for you are supposed to be neutral. For you are a Moderator!

5. Oracle

Oracle New Member

This is where your mind beats you. I am not a North Indian, but I have used Hindi and survived in almost all over India. You are welcome to crawl back onto the cave you came from! Four legged!

6. Bangalorean

Bangalorean Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

Speaking Hindi is not a test of Indian-ness. You have no right to force a language on anyone.

I am NOT a Tamilian, and I speak Hindi better than most people. But I draw the line at imposing Hindi on people who do not wish to speak the language, just to make things convenient for visitors or job seekers. If the "South Indians" as you lump them together, speak Hindi out of choice, then it's one thing, but please stop forcing them to speak a language which is as alien to them as Tamil or Malayalam is to you.

7. Bangalorean

Perfect. That is the point which these 'one-language' fanatics need to understand. India would have been worse than Pakiland, wrecked by civil wars, if these people had their way!

MODS: Can these posts be moved to another thread?

8. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

no is forcing anyone to learn anything! if its convenient for them to learn english for the international stage then it should also be convenient for them to understand hindi for the national stage.

note the key word is understand....before you go on a tangent!

9. Oracle

Oracle New Member

Ah! again! I am not forcing someone to learn Hindi. Ands also just because I don't know Tamil or Malayalam doesn't make it Mexican or Colombian to me. Each and every part of India I have been, I have found Hindi to be a universally acceptable language, albeit Tamilnadu. But dude, <shock> I survived for 2+ years in Tamilnadu speaking Hindi, even though I am classic in English!!!

I am not at all trying to force any language on anyone. Hindi is not even my mothertongue. However, I have survived with Hindi in places you're manhood would go, take a piss and never come back. No pun intended!

10. The Messiah

................edited.................

11. Adux

Sad that your language isnt worthy of your greatness. Keep surviving there, dont come to South. Here we like our culture, we love our people; speak english or our language. or you can keep on living in wherever the god forsaken place you came from.

12. Bangalorean

My advice to thread starter is, people like you generate a lot of hate and anger when you travel to other cities in India and expect the locals to make things convenient for you, and deride and abuse the locals for not behaving the way you would want them to. Stop doing it - you are causing immense harm to the idea of India.

And as far as your "South Indian" lumping is concerned, that's as offensive as saying that "North Easterners" don't want to be in the mainstream, and lots of people in the "North East" don't consider themselves Indian, and don't make an effort to "be Indian". Were I to be offensive, I could accuse you of it the moment I know you're from N-E.

Keep this in mind whenever you visit any part of the country henceforth.

13. The Messiah

He comes from India.

14. Adux

It is more convenient to learn the oldest spoken widely language of India, Tamil. I dont know, but I am ready. Up for it? How about Malayalam.You know why CBSE was created? There is nothing about understanding there. North Indians have this superiority complex, as though India begins and ends with them, the rest of them must confirm, Not Happening. No more Madarasi, Malabari, Kalu and all that. You wanna live here, you live by our rules.

15. Bangalorean

Leave it to them to decide. If you don't like their choice, you can shrug your shoulders, nothing more. Don't expect them to learn it. The key word is 'expect'.

16. Adux

Not all parts of India are hunky dory. There are shitholes.

17. The Messiah

why are you getting emotional ?

The point oracle first made is that every corner of India understands hindi but only one state tamil nadu refuses to accept. Now is it more convenient for all the states to learn tamil or just 1 state to understand hindi ?

18. Bangalorean

But India does have several states and several languages, created so that all cultures and identities get space. A person moving from one state to another is not doing a favour to the host state - he is moving because he has a job or opportunity which he did not have in his home state.

The least such a person can do is to respect the culture and language of the place he moves to, instead of expecting them to conform to his idea of what people should speak.

19. Adux

Forcing people to learn Hindi as complusory language in school, Sending out Central Government Circulars in Hindi, Funding Hindi Schools through money collected from non-hindi speaking states. Kerala recently said, Malayalam should be taught as subject in all schools till 12th. And I concur, my concerns are doing the same.

20. nrj

nrj Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

I think that surely justifies the purpose of having a national language.

It makes business & life easier. Increasing growth makes professionals, businessmen, students to relocate to remote part of nation where your regional language isn't going to work.

Its not just about South Indians. Requirement is to have a meaningful productive communication even in strange place. Look at the size of this country & diversity it tries to accommodate.

A commonly spoken language is required & without which it'll always be great difficulty in carrying out any cross regional activities.

21. peacecracker

peacecracker Regular Member

There is No Harm in learning Hindi. Afterall, Hindi is taught in most southern states, exception may be Tamilnadu. Other Reason is Hindi is intelligible by most Indians. but Hindi imposition and *Assumption* that Hindi is supposed to be de facto national language is Seen by South Indians as PURE Arrogance. Especially considering south India has a Different Culture compared to Hindi Heart Lands. Hindi is a Foreign language for most of South India just like English is to Hindi Speakers Region.
    just Compare the Diversity:
    eg:
    I don't like Hindi language
    Enakku Hindi Mozhi Pudikkathu(Tamil)
    Enikku Hindi Bhasha Ishtamalla(Malyalam)
    Mujhe Hindi Bhasha Pasand Nahin He(Hindi)

Compare and it is easily understandable that the above two(Tamil,Malyalam) are very different from Hindi in most aspects. that's it. if a person Speaks or Learn Hindi by Choice, it is Welcome. But Hindi Imposition Which caused Riots(Anti Hindi Riots) in Southern India Especially TamilNadu is an example How protective People are regarding their Southern Language and Cultural identity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.