Like never before, I the Muslim am seen as the root cause of problems

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Singh, Oct 22, 2014.

1. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

‘Like never before, I the Muslim am seen as the root cause of nation’s problems’ | The Indian Express

With six MPs, the Lok Janshakti Party may not count for much in the 330-plus ruling NDA. But ABDUL KHALIQ, secretary general of LJP, is the first ally to speak out against ‘the unfettered hate being spewed’ against Muslims by ‘a long list of hate mongers’

The by-election results in Bihar and UP are being viewed as a vindication of the deep-rooted and strong secular credentials of the nation. As heartening to the secular devotees is the Prime Minister’s statement that Indian Muslims would live and die for the country. However, the fact that the PM has thought it necessary to underline the patriotism of Muslims is in itself deeply disturbing. Implicit in the statement is the frightening reality of how the Muslim is viewed in today’s India.

I am an Indian but the fact that I am a Muslim has endangered my claim to equal citizenship. I say this not because of our laws which are unexceptionable but because of the mind-numbing environment of hostility and prejudice, the inexorable growth of sheer distrust and hatred for the Muslim and all that he represents.

Although the Muslims are near the bottom of the socio-economic ladder and at par with the Dalits in almost every human development index, the public discourse today is not about the economic and educational backwardness of this beleaguered community but about the huge affliction they are in the nation’s social fabric.

The plight of the ordinary Muslim is getting progressively worse. Living on the margins of society, he has always been up against it in the field of education, in the job market, even when looking for accommodation. He is also burdened with the stigma of being in tacit collusion with terrorists. But hitherto, the discrimination and the distrust of the Muslim were covert. Now the gloves are off and the hatred is in-your-face.

Like never before, the Muslim is viewed not just as “the other” but as the root cause of the nation’s problems. The most pernicious myths are being given the widest publicity — about forced conversion of Hindu girls as a “love jihad” conspiracy to distort the population ratio, about every conversion to Islam creating one more enemy for Hindus, about 90 per cent of all rapes being committed by Muslims, about Muslims provoking riots, about there being no place for non-Muslims in areas where there are more than 35 per cent Muslims. The miasma of distrust, of hate, of prejudice hangs like a black cloud over the community.

Today Praveen Togadia is passé. What was the narrative of the shakhas and the fulminations of right wing fundamentalists are now mainstream discourse. The most inflammatory and divisive rhetoric has become commonplace. Leading a long list of hate mongers, Member of Parliament, Sakshi Maharaj, uses the public platform to allege that the madrasas across the country are imparting the ‘education of terror’ and ‘love jihad’.
    Maneka Gandhi, Minister and inveterate animal lover, has no qualms in making the outrageously mendacious statement that profits from trade of slaughtered animals go into financing terrorism. Senior police officers express the most poisonous views against Muslims and Islam in their internet discussion forum on Yahoo.

At a time when there are legitimate fears of Hindu majoritarianism, a Supreme Court judge has publicly announced that if he had been the dictator of India, he would have introduced Gita and Mahabharata in schools. Tragically, these deviant thoughts, which violate the basic canons of secular humanism, are not an aberration but an everyday, recurring theme in our fractured society.

In this iniquitous environment where even allegedly secular parties tango to the politics of community and caste, rational but lonesome voices like Fali Nariman, Rajmohan Gandhi and Meghnad Desai have warned against the anti-minority bigotry and rabid hate being freely aired in the public space and the studied silence of the governing class.

Significantly, Nariman in his keynote address at a National Minorities Commission forum had exhorted the commission to fulfill its constitutional mandate of protecting the interests of minorities by filing criminal complaints and taking other strong measures to counter the hate tirades against minorities. In limp response, the commission has appealed to the Home Minister to take suitable action, thereby reinforcing the view of minorities that they cannot depend on state institutions for redress of their problems.

It is unfortunate that the observations of such enlightened individuals do not constitute “breaking news” and are hence consigned to peripheral by lines whereas the hate-soaked ranting of a Yogi Adityanath captures banner headlines and ‘eyeballs’. With the media’s lopsided focus on the sensational, everybody knows what the Yogi has said. But the rational voice is muted. It is high time that the media seriously introspected on how it projects such nation-threatening issues.

Significantly, those who are working to create a permanent rift between communities and isolate the Muslims are actually executing the pernicious plot of the separatists and other enemies of the state who thrive on social discord. It is foolhardy to believe that the nation can progress by banishing 150 million Indians into ghettoes and isolation.

Our Prime Minister has, in that most compelling slogan “Sabke saath sabka vikas”, nailed the panacea for the nation’s problems. This slogan needs to become a reality or else we face the deluge.

(The writer, a former civil servant, is secretary general of the Lok Janshakti Party. The views are personal)

‘Like never before, I the Muslim am seen as the root cause of nation’s problems’ | The Indian Express | Page 99

Neo and W.G.Ewald like this.
  3. bose

bose Senior Member Senior Member

Re: Like never before, I the Muslim am seen as the root cause of probl

Mr ABDUL KHALIQ, Muslims are indeed are root cause for many problems... You like it or not it is fact... until the Muslim society remains backward with too much obsession with religion of peace...

fyodor, VIP, parijataka and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

What I find a wee bit perplexing is that why is there not similar lament from the other minorities like the Christians, Parsis and others?

Why is it the Muslims who alone feel alienated?

fyodor, VIP, TheLord and 4 others like this.
  5. Ashutosh Lokhande

Ashutosh Lokhande Senior Member Senior Member

Muslims must try think rationaly and neutraly that if the mindset of ppl in india or in whole world is turning negative towards them then why is it so? afterall there has to be a reson. regarding hindus in india we are not taught to hate or kill or convert non believer of RAM or any other god for that matter but this cant be said same about many muslims. they are taught from the book that only there version of god is true and baaki sab chini maal. hindus are encouraged to find and seek eternal truth and not follow anything blindly. so if muslims want there image to be changed in india they need to drop this notion that there faith is superior than others and see things with open and rational mind. this alone will solve majority of the problems.

6. Zebra

Zebra Senior Member Senior Member

I was told......many of Muslims in India don't send their kids to regular schools.

They think Indian school books are secular, that may harm their future generation's religious belief.

It is true?

7. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

Another poor-baby article crying against so called surreal Hindu Majoritism, totally ignoring their own part in anything. The muslims are at par with Dalits? May be. But I am sure the Dalits are going to get in better financial condition sooner than a muslim, unless the muslims themselves put a brake in their procreation rate. Producing children in numbers whom they cannot financially support is criminal negligence. Sending the children to study in antiquated educational institute like madrassas is also sign of negligence. Further, the incidents in Kashmir or Muzzaffarpur or Kerala or elsewhere in India, where muslims get out of hand with their hatred for others on the name of religion and expectation for preferential treatment, has alienated themselves from the rest of the populace.

The Hindi expression "Pehle apne girevan mein jhank ke dekho' is very much appropriate for this fellow - an opportunistic scoundrel.

8. thethinker

thethinker Senior Member Senior Member

Maybe Mr.Khaliq would like to ponder on issues like why the support for IM and SIMI and their kind amongst their fellow brethren rather than crying victim at every opportunity.

Other minorities don't indulge in crass anti-India stuff like this, case in point Mumbai CST 2012 riots :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But then again, it is always easier to cry victim rather than dealing with systemic issues like radicalization and religious terrorism.

VIP, parijataka, Dovah and 1 other person like this.
  9. Ashutosh Lokhande

Ashutosh Lokhande Senior Member Senior Member

maybe thats case in rural area but in cities the trend is changing. i saw many burkha clad muslim parents recently waiting outside an english medium school(maybe it was convent not sure) to collect there kids in sion(mumbai).

10. Ray

Now. if this chap, who is a Muslim of standing in West Bengal, stands in favour of those who have caused blasts in Burdwan and also encouraged anti national activities around West Bengal using illegal madarssa as cover and indirectly gives it a communal slant, then how can one feel that people like him stand for the Nation's interest?

And because he has a large Muslim following, would anyone in his sense think those who rally with him to stop investigations into anti national activities, are people that Indians of any hue, will find him and his supporters to be working in India's interest?

This is the very the reason why such people heap suspicion of others on their intent, wherein they crank in religion in everything so as to weasel a concession, including condoning anti national activities.

Therefore, suspicion regarding their nationalism becomes a natural reaction.

At the same time, it is a truism that many Muslims are nationalists, but they should stand up and condemn such clots as this man Siddiqullah so that it does not become axiomatic to distrust Muslims in general.

Sadly, such Muslim nationalists remain silent.

Abhijat likes this.
  11. Srinivas_K

Srinivas_K Senior Member Senior Member

It is the other way around, Muslims discriminate people from other religions. The teachings of hatred and discrimination starts from early childhood in Mosques and Madarssas.

Most of the religions are tolerant in India.

A minority religion in Muslim majority state will face lot of persecutions and violence in their daily life because of Hippocratic nature.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    rock127, bengalraider, jus and 2 others like this.
  12. tramp

tramp Senior Member Senior Member

While some Muslim intellectuals are so very ready to make all the noise about perceived discrimination, they are so very silent where members of their community are involved in hate mongering.... I am yet to hear anybody write/speak about the hate speeches....

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
    Singh, Dovah and W.G.Ewald like this.
  13. tramp

tramp Senior Member Senior Member

The former civil servant was working in the govt of a Hindu majority state/country, wasn't he? And why is he making a hue and cry exactly after becoming part of a political outfit? The LJP needs to make clear whether it stands by this guy's outburst.

14. Ancient Indian

Ancient Indian Unplugged Version Senior Member

@Ray
    wait for next elections in your state.
    Saffron Brigade is coming to your state with all horns blazing. The long forgotten fertile lands of Mother will be taken back from those invaders.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  15. Ray

It will not be because of any Hindu revival, but because the people are fed up with the Communists and now with the TMC who have been exposed of looting the common man via Sharada scam and by pandering to terrorists and allowing them a free hand. No one likes anti nationals.

16. Ancient Indian

Ancient Indian Unplugged Version Senior Member

@Ray
    But imagine a democracy with a leader who has no family and his sub-leaders who also has no family, living in Govt. buildings.
    It is one step closer to the Plato's true democracy.
    Man I can't wait for the next decade when we evolve into perfect democracy.

pmaitra likes this.
  17. bengalraider

bengalraider DFI Technocrat Stars and Ambassadors

in a fast food joint next to the imperial shipyard

Islam's bloody borders are a truth Muslims cannot run away from, from the Abu sayyaf in the philipenes to isis in the mideast the problem persists

18. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Yesp. Diverting the debate to a personal level in order to avoid addressing the issue of islamic radicalization.

19. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

How come Muslims like Abdul Kalam(our ex-Prez) was never having such feelings of "victimization" or "alienation" ??? He commanded respect from all people irrespective of religion/caste.

The problem is not just with "Muslim" but the weird,backward,regressive and narrow POV and Practices which they want to pursue and also FORCE upon others as well.

Muslims needs to change themselves with the time & situation and come in mainstream instead of either crying or rioting.

Any religion where women are treated as slave pets is NOT a religion at all.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  20. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Very thoughtful comment.

I went to a Roman Catholic School. Our Father Principal, on being asked why he never married, said the same thing. He is childless, so that he can treat all children as his own, equally. If he has his own children, he would be naturally biased. He serves humanity, abd thereby, served god.

I do believe that an avowed bachelor (regardless of that nominal marriage of Mr. Modi), he is better suited to be a benevolent leader. He does not have a clean slate, however, and certainly not the party he belongs to. It would be a challenge for him to cleanse his party of corrupt leaders, and of people who are willing to tolerate corruption (see picture below). If he can do it, he will be truly a good leader. I see a lot of potential in him, and a lot of hope, but I am not blind to the risks.

The Coffin Scandal was no less disrespectful to our martyred soldiers.

Ancient Indian and Abhijat like this.
  21. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

I like the fact that you change your opinions given new evidence. Now you see some potential in Modi!