Light Strike Vehicle RFI

Which 4X4 LSV will Serve in Indian Army ?

• Vectra`s LSV

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
An Alternative to all this >>

I know this vehicle, Its excellent and very powerful compare to Maruti jeep and ugly Mahindra 550 in Amry, Its very spacious yet compact, Unfortunately only serves as Ambulance & Jammer..

Btw, This SUMO is not same as Civilian SUMO.. ;)

=================================================

Many Variant can be possible >>

An Armored version is already on offer..

kshkumsin

I know this vehicle, Its excellent and very powerful compare to Maruti jeep and ugly Mahindra 550 in Amry, Its very spacious yet compact, Unfortunately only serves as Ambulance & Jammer..

u got to be kidding this shit going agains AXE and Tata LSV and land rovers

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh

SUMO is big and spacious but very high center of gravity and handles like a skateboard.

One thing I had expected from a Gypsy was a coil spring instead of leaf spring.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I never drive any Civillain SUMO, But i did drive Army SUMO, I have to disagree with you..

Its solid and very powerful very stable the only issue i faced is the cut..

SUMO is big and spacious but very high center of gravity and handles like a skateboard..

JBH22

I never drive any Civillain SUMO, But i did drive Army SUMO, I have to disagree with you..

Its solid and very powerful very stable the only issue i faced is the cut..
Take the Humvee during IRAQ war troops had the possibility to customise their vehicles something like adding additional armour.

But it seems Indian 4x4 cannot take on such "customisation" am I rite in this analysis?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There is customization available but new product of the same vehicle in armored version ..

Humvee in Iraq were not customized but were replaced by Armoured Humvee ?

Take the Humvee during IRAQ war troops had the possibility to customise their vehicles something like adding additional armour.

But it seems Indian 4x4 cannot take on such "customisation" am I rite in this analysis?

Blackwater

Iam surprised BHARAT-BENZ,VOLVO,ISUZU, MAN has not come up with any suggestion:confused::confused::confused:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

Up-Armored HMMWV

The Army had started adding armor to its High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle, or HMMWV, years before Operation Iraqi Freedom. The armament carrier and TOW missile carrier members of the HMMWV family, among others, had been technically armored when they were introduced, with supplemental armor added soon there after. The armor level of these vehicles protected to some degree, but mostly from shrapnel and some small arms fire. Other variants in the family did not even have this level of armoring. Results of survivability subtests conducted on the HMMWV showed the following survivability features: the ballistic grill deflected several fragments and protected the radiator; the position of the radiator in the vehicle presented less of a target to detonation from the front (but not from aerial bursts); and the windshield was not penetrated. The ballistic fiberglass in the body appeared to offer little protection, while the windshield offered better protection. Tires remained the most vulnerable part of the vehicle. The standard tires on the vehicle were a run-flat type, having a magnesium inner liner. There was no spare tire on the vehicle. Flats had been driven up to 20 km before failure.

Post-Cold War requirements for light scout vehicles and US participation in peace enforcement operations in Somalia, notably the events of 3 October 1993, prompted the development of an armored armament carrier variant of the HMMWV family, based on the A1 series of vehicles. Up-armor kits were developed for the HMMWV to improve ballistic protection and resistance to mine blast. The resulting armored variant, designated the M1109, subsequently served in Haiti, Somalia, and in the early phases of US operations in the Balkans.

The land mine hazards in Bosnia, plus the patrol requirements and terrain requirements, led the Army Tank-Automotive and Armaments Command (TACOM) to contract with O'Gara-Hess and Eisenhardt, then a component of the Armor Holdings Company's Mobile Security Division in Fairfield, Ohio, to produce armor for an "up-armored" HMMWV variant. The vehicle was based on the Expanded Capability Vehicle M1113 and was subsequently designated the M1114. This version of the HMMWV quickly became the vehicle of choice for operations in that relatively benign AO due to its increased mobility and lowered maintenance needs relative to tracked vehicles. Requirements in Bosnia and Kosovo did not seem to require logistical and other "soft-skinned" vehicles be similarly "up-armored." The up-armored M1114 weighed about 2,000 pounds more than the standard HMMWV and included 200-pound steel-plated doors, steel plating under the cab and several layers of bonded, ballistic-resistant glass to replace zip-up plastic windows.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Gurkha, Humvee and all good for law enforcement / Garud SF not Indian Army..

JBH22

There is customization available but new product of the same vehicle in armored version ..

Humvee in Iraq were not customized but were replaced by Armoured Humvee ?
What you are referring is to company modification, but I was hinting at field customisation where US troops were adding metal sheets to their Humvee.

Field Modification often resulted in the Humvee losing its centre of gravity.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
All i knew is application of slat Armour, I dont know about Humvee though..

Indian 4x4 dont have such rather company gives dedicated versions..

What you are referring is to company modification, but I was hinting at field customisation where US troops were adding metal sheets to their Humvee.

Field Modification often resulted in the Humvee losing its centre of gravity.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
@Ray @Kunal Biswas @pkroyal

Any idea why the LSV mounted 105mm RCL concept (patton killers of 71) were discontinued? No scope for upgrade/modernization?

Last edited by a moderator:

pkroyal

@Ray @Kunal Biswas @pkroyal

Any idea why the LSV mounted 105mm RCL concept (patton killers of 71) were discontinued? No scope for upgrade/modernization?
106mm RCL guns ( Americans developed 105mm our Ordinance factories changed it to 106 mm ) initially were mounted on Mahindra jeeps ( petrol, continuation of the British Willys)

Later these were mounted on Jongas ( Nissan engine / petrol), the gun weighed a good 219 Kgs and with ammunition , normally 06 rounds & a crew of four( incl the driver ) with their personal weight, battle gear, water etc incl spares brought all up laden weight close to a ton.

Desert terrain in our context has Dhoras ( sand dunes) measuring from a puny 05 meters to 80 meters. Climbing these for better visibility and camouflage between the gaps for vehicles mentioned above was a real up hill task as the power to weight ratio was not adequate. The vehicles would over heat, have burnt clutch plates and the guns had to be dismounted and carried across by the crew over to the dhoras

In plain desert terrain where our brave heart CQMH Abdul Hamid, PVC got his patton kills in 1965 war it was a great weapon at that point of time.

One shot by a RCL gun if it cannot change its location speedily, the next target for a tank will be that gun & its crew. Mobility was the main issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I agree. But can't it have been mounted on a dune buggy or a ripsaw kind of a vehicle? Can't it have been mounted on heavy duty petrol vehicles and used in the mountains against light tanks and IFVs?

106mm RCL guns ( Americans developed 105mm our Ordinance factories changed it to 106 mm ) initially were mounted on Mahindra jeeps ( petrol, continuation of the British Willys)

Later these were mounted on Jongas ( Nissan engine / petrol), the gun weighed a good 219 Kgs and with ammunition , normally 06 rounds & a crew of four( incl the driver ) with their personal weight, battle gear, water etc incl spares brought all up laden weight close to a ton.

Desert terrain in our context has Dhoras ( sand dunes) measuring from a puny 05 meters to 80 meters. Climbing these for better visibility and camouflage between the gaps for vehicles mentioned above was a real up hill task as the power to weight ratio was not adequate. The vehicles would over heat, have burnt clutch plates and the guns had to be dismounted and carried across by the crew over to the dhoras

In plain desert terrain where our brave heart CQMH Abdul Hamid, PVC got his patton kills in 1965 war it was a great weapon at that point of time.

One shot by a RCL gun if it cannot change its location speedily, the next target for a tank will be that gun & its crew. Mobility was the main issue.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Cost buddy... A shell costs 20 times cheaper than an ATGM.

Why rely on RCL guns when you can mount anti tank guided missile system on a truck/jeep etc.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles