Libya To Buy Russian Fighter Jets For $1B: Report

StealthSniper

MOSCOW - Libya is planning to buy more than 20 Russian fighter jets in a billion-dollar arms deal with Moscow, the Interfax news agency reported Oct. 19, citing a military-diplomatic source.

"Libya is planning to buy 12 to 15 Su-35 multipurpose fighters, four Su-30s and six Yak-130 combat training planes from Russia," the unnamed source was quoted as saying.

The contracts could be signed at the end of this year or the beginning of 2010 and would have a total value of about $1 billion (670 million euros), he said.

"Many of the contracts are already fairly well worked out from a technical viewpoint and are practically ready for signing. The financial aspects still need to be resolved," the source told Interfax.

A spokesman for Rosoboronexport, the state-owned arms exporter that oversees Russia's foreign arms sales, could not be reached for comment Oct. 19.

Libya, a longtime pariah state that has moved to rejoin the international community in recent years, was reported to be discussing arms deals with Russia when Libyan leader Moamer Kadhafi visited Moscow late last year.

Much of the North African state's arsenal was purchased from the Soviet Union in the last years of the Cold War.

Earlier this month a Russian MiG-23 fighter jet crashed during an air show in a suburb of the Libyan capital Tripoli, killing the two-man crew and injuring several people on the ground.

The air show had been meant to showcase Russian fighter jets for possible customers in North Africa.

Link:

Libya To Buy Russian Fighter Jets For $1B: Report - Defense News

A.V.

reading reports od such stories further strengthens my belief that sukhoi corp did well to hide the pakfa release pics and news from the public eye,they want to make sure that su35 bm is well received because once they launch the pakfa in the open it will kill the BM sales but anyways the SU35BM is the best that russia can offer at the moment and its good to see that other countries are interested in it too

StealthSniper

I don't really like how Libya is offered the Su-35BM. I can understand them getting SU-30's but why does Russia always give another country the most advanced equipment they make. Russia should offer a export model of everything they make, just like the US does. The reason why I say this is because it protects Russia's technology.

A.V.

I don't really like how Libya is offered the Su-35BM. I can understand them getting SU-30's but why does Russia always give another country the most advanced equipment they make. Russia should offer a export model of everything they make, just like the US does. The reason why I say this is because it protects Russia's technology.
most export versions now-a-days are customized according to the needs of the specific countries, there are lots at stake incase of such deals
but russia does build and sale export versions of its equipments its denoted by the letter Kall russian weapon systems having K is actually export versions which at times are little downgraded/upgraded versions or customized version

StealthSniper

most export versions now-a-days are customized according to the needs of the specific countries, there are lots at stake incase of such deals
but russia does build and sale export versions of its equipments its denoted by the letter Kall russian weapon systems having K is actually export versions which at times are little downgraded/upgraded versions or customized version

I understand what you are saying A.V but it just seems like everything that Russia makes is for sale for the right price. While this is good for India, I think they should keep things to themselves like USA does with the F-22 and other sensitive equipment.

sandeepdg

This is old news, no certainty that this will still happen in the light of what's happening in Libya now.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles