Liaoning (Varyag) - Chinese Aircraft Carrier

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
nice pics though, can anybody will tell me about its specification and expected armaments?
No one knows for sure.
The authority refuses to disclose any detail regarding the ship, including what mission it is gonna take, when the refit will be finished, much less sensitive information such as specification and armaments.
Well not quite true,
As your carrier is pure Aircraft carrier just like our INS Vikramaditya therefore weapon on board are CIWS ( missiles as well as guns ) ..

SHIP AAA/SAM nests:

The Ship has four AAA nest where FL-3000N and Type-730 CIWS will be fitterd..

Detail on CIWS ( GUN ):Type 730

he Type 730 is a Chinese seven-barrelled 30 mm Gatling gun CIWS. It has a PLA-N designation H/PJ12. It is mounted in an enclosed automatic turret and directed by radar, and electro-optical tracking systems. The maximum rate of fire is 5800 rd/m, and the effective range is up to 3 km. externally similar to the Dutch Goalkeeper in appearance, it is thought to operate indigenous radar and optical systems

THE MISSILES SYSTEM: FL-3000N

^^You Chinese cant stop Copying?! lolzzz

FL-3000N is based On RIM-116 Rolling Missiles which are small, lightweight, infrared homing surface-to-air missile..

Specification of RIM-116:
# Primary Function: Surface-to-Air Missile
# Contractor: Raytheon, Diehl BGT Defence
# Length: 2.79 m (9 ft 2 in)
# Diameter: 127 mm (5.0 in)
# Fin span: 434 mm (1 ft 5.1 in)
# Speed: Mach 2.0+
# Warhead: 11.3 kg (24.9 lb) blast fragmentation
# Launch Weight: 73.5 kg (162 lb)
# Range: 9 km (5.6 mi)
# Guidance System: three modes—passive radio frequency/infrared homing, infrared only, or infrared dual mode enabled (radio frequency and infrared homing)

Why the hell the chinese AC news alone is created as new thread every week. MODS pls join this with the original ones.
I agree..

Originally Posted by SATISH
How the hell did they end up putting an engine inside Varyag without cut opening the hull?
Its is obvious these all pics are posted by tourists, Chinese Gov is known for its secrecy, we dont have part by part Pics of its construction like Vikramaditya, Varyag was not originally installed with a engine, I think When Chinese got their hand on this ship probably the first thing they did is to install the engines..
Originally Varyag engine consist of ( As per Russian deign ):

Steam turbines, 8 turbo-pressurised boilers, 4 shafts, 200,000 hp (150 MW)
2 × 50,000 hp (37 MW) turbines
9 × 2,011 hp (1,500 kW) turbogenerators
6 × 2,011 hp (1,500 kW) diesel generators
4 × fixed pitch propellers

The modification can be same as we did on our Vikramaditya, I.e: The eight boilers are being removed and converted to take diesel fuel instead of furnace fuel oil and modern oil-water separators..

Last edited:

pmaitra

Made in China: Russian military hardware copied abroad?

The Chinese have always denied claims that they copy things. Below is an older news report which touches up on this issue and talks much about the Varyag and its similarity with Admiral Kuznetsov:

Last edited by a moderator:

neo29

It is interesting to see China that boasts about its modern armed forces but building a AC on Russian leftovers. Clearly shows their ideology of quantity over quality which is applicable on their entire forces.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
@ Chinese members,

Won't it have been better that you could have bought off the blueprints from Soviet shipbuilders on Varyag and started making it from scratch based on new metal rather than first spending all the time in removing old parts and then re-fitting them? I mean, you certainly had the money even then to buy off the blueprints.

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
@ Chinese members,

Won't it have been better that you could have bought off the blueprints from Soviet shipbuilders on Varyag and started making it from scratch based on new metal rather than first spending all the time in removing old parts and then re-fitting them? I mean, you certainly had the money even then to buy off the blueprints.
PLA-N has never operated a aircraft carrier, they need loads and loads of time to build up on how to run fixed wing aircrafts from a carrier, a very hazardous and complex task.

Building a AC from ground up would have been a very huge exercise, especially for a nation with no experience of operating one

Instead of building a new carrier its better to run with a old proven (the russian) design and doctrine, and instead of building a new one, its better to use something that was already built up.

One thing is for certain, PRC had the desire to get its hand on the carrier the very first time they purchased it through a civilian front, and they will go on and have aircraft carriers (their economy is on the upward path and their global security requirement is also growing with it), it will take time though, even this carrier will take a long time to become operational with fixed wing aircrafts, this aircraft carrier will start the tradition, set the rules and test the boundaries for PLA-N.

badguy2000

Respected Member
@ Chinese members,

it is because what CHina wants is not one AC,but the tech to manufactur ACs.

SHASH2K2

it is because what CHina wants is not one AC,but the tech to manufactur ACs.
If you build an AC from scratch that will give you better experience instead of working on an already built machine. Correct me if I am wrong.

Rahul92

Pakistan cannot even dream of buying an AC . It will be half of their yearly military budget.
C'mon bro these are Chinese goods these AC's will be cheapest & of the ultimate low quality & even countries like Maldives can purchase these cheap quality AC's

SHASH2K2

C'mon bro these are Chinese goods these AC's will be cheapest & of the ultimate low quality & even countries like Maldives can purchase these cheap quality AC's
Any guess about what cost of a normal vikrant class AC is ? no need to include cost of fighters in it .

Neil

Country flag
bro even that cheap AC need protection which means total cost will go up...u cant have AC without layers of destroyers,frigates,subs......so even countries like maldives cant afford it

pakistan doesnt have a destroyer in its fleet , AC is like going to the moon for them......

kuku

Respected Member
Country flag
If you build an AC from scratch that will give you better experience instead of working on an already built machine. Correct me if I am wrong.
Not exactly the easiest thing in the world when you have no idea about aircraft carriers and most of the worlds agencies with experience are barred from providing consulting and equipment to you, much easier to study some old designs, modify a incomplete ship, and start to operate from it slowly (to build up experience), afterwards using your experience to define exactly what do they want from a aircraft carrier.

badguy2000

Respected Member
here is a very wonderful comment from .bharat-rakshak.
it can be a good reply to your word.

The problem with our engine projects like Kaveri and Arjun engine project is utter lack of understanding in a Babu as to how R&D is done and the complexity of a project. Add to it the incapacity of corrupt Babu to understand the financial benefits of indigenous R&^D and we have inability of India to address defense R&D and production inspite of 1000 years of servitude. Now let me explain.

Problem Uno- There is an idiotic motto that simple things we will import (why reinvent the wheel) but complicated things DRDO should make. Hence we try to make Nuke subs while importing pistols, shoes etc. Though the actual reason is that strategic items have political push but for small items nobody cares. The IAF ignored HTT-40 for 20 years before creating emergency requirement.

Problem – Duo- Refusal to pay for technology import. Even when technology is available, the idiotic Babu will refuse to pay for it. For instance, for Su-30MKI import/indigenous manufacture the requirement was that indigenous manufacture + tech transfer + capital equipment should be less than the cost of imported products. So Whisky and candy industry in India gets protection by customs duty but not defense manufacture.

Problem and Problem – Inability to understand the financial benefits. For instance India would need say around 4000 tanks plus 1000 variants plus get benefit of offshoots of indigenous manufacture. It means that order book of US$ 10 Billion plus say around 15 Billon for spares and upgrade. Which means that around US$ 2 Billion is justified to build an indigenous tank. But the budget allocated will be only US$ 100 million which would be 1/20 th of the required amount. If you look at allocations to Barak, Brahmos etc then they are way above what is given to DRDO.

Last but most important:- R&D budget is calculated by estimating cost of assembling few prototypes from imported components, basic manpower and constructing administrative offices. Hence nothing is done for basic research like building codes for functioning & CFD, or metallurgy, nor optimizing components, nor advanced labs, nor test stands for individual components etc. That is why we get budgets like US$ 89 million for Kaveri while at the same time France was spending around US$ 2 Billion on M88. We get budget (today) of US$ 10 million for FMBT Engine when it should be something like US$ 500-1000 million. Hence the so called research would be just importing a few components, screwing them together, wasting 10 years and then wondering as to why it does not work. It seems that FMBT engine research is going in the same absurd method. The so called industrial partners are component suppliers who will largely be disinterested as they will be asked to supply Rs. few lakhs of material. Most of the money will go for administrative expense while no basic research will be done on metallurgy, building fuel injections system, turbos, refining design, test stands for each component separately to study its behavior in isolation, high tech labs, high tech cad cam design labs etc. We will end up a failure as one cannot have a MBT engine for US$ 10 million. The costing is basically done on the basis that say 10 prototypes need be assembled and it will cost around US$ 10 Million. I am at a loss of words to explain this lunacy of low budgeting our R&D.

badguy2000

Respected Member
AC is just a tool to bully small and mid-size countries.

to a war among USA, Russia and CHina, AC groups are just white elephants and would be destoryed in weeks after war were to break out!

SHASH2K2

here is a very wonderful comment from .bharat-rakshak.
it can be a good reply to your word.
I am not very good in understanding English literature. I hope you wont mind explaining it in your own words.

SHASH2K2

AC is just a tool to bully small and mid-size countries.

to a war among USA, Russia and CHina, AC groups are just white elephants and would be destoryed in weeks after war were to break out!
Mr BG god forbids any war among major countries of world as it will be catastrophic.But in case it happens and an AC group last even for a weak and if its near your shore it would have done the job. wait a minute they dont even need a AC group to destroy you. a pair of Ohio class subs with 120 cruise missiles each will be more than enouth to turn your coastal defence back to stone age.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles