Letter: DFI to Defence Minister: Please don't kill Tejas Mk2

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Adioz, Oct 10, 2017.

?

Will this letter make a difference?

1. Its got a snowball's chance in hell.

19 vote(s)
    29.2%
  2. Better to try than sit and do nothing.

45 vote(s)
    69.2%
  3. I don't think Tejas Mk2 should happen.

1 vote(s)
    1.5%
  1. Adioz

Adioz Irregular member

Bottom of the Andaman sea planting mines for PLAN
    :lca:Read all posts before commenting in this space.

We know that Air Force is bent on getting the F-16 (Gripen does not stand a chance). If the single engine fighter deal goes through, Tejas Mk2 is as good as dead.

Members please keep the discussion strictly on topic :rage:. We need to minimize the length of this thread because the final draft will have to be written after reading the whole thread. Before making a draft of the letter, we need to agree on the points we are going to make. Please try to post in point form and keep to colour code provided below
    Please post arguments that are :-
    • economic type in green
    • technological type in blue
    • strategic type in red
    Please do not post rants or long paragraphs.

@Kunal Biswas we need some moderator support to keep thread on track.

@TPFscopes @tejas warrior @abingdonboy @Kchontha @soikot banerjee @Sidd @binayak95 @Chinmoy @IndianHawk @lcafanboy @Indx TechStyle @indiatester @indiandefencefan @Amrk @aditya10r @aditya g @S.Balaji @Bhumihar @NeXoft007 @Flame Thrower @porky_kicker @Gessler @Armand2REP @captscooby81 @sthf @ezsasa @mayfair @Bharat Ek Khoj @Ancient Indian @Superdefender @F-14B @indus @VIP @airtel @Project Dharma @A chauhan @rohit b3 @Khagesh @pruthvi24 @SanjeevM @BlackJay @G10 @Pulkit @gpawar @singh100ful @singhboy98 @Kay @indiandefencefan @Zero-Sum-Game @tharun @Bhoot Pishach @armyofhind @Pinky Chaudhary @dumdumdum @HarshBardhan @patriots @Prashant12 @Willy2 @Steven Rogers @rrrajesh.yadav @Jay Patel @kstriya Someone know how to tag all regular members? ...........I am tired.

BTW, if the letter is going to get signed as "from all members of DFI", we would first need admin's (@Yusuf @LurkerBaba ) permission. And IMHO they will be the ones who will approve the final draft of this letter and then mail it. Also, can we forward copies to PMO, Air HQ, HAL and ADA (and maybe to Sandeep Unnithan?)

3. Adioz

Adioz Irregular member

Bottom of the Andaman sea planting mines for PLAN
  4. Skdas

Skdas New Member

Replying to keep myself tagged.

@Adioz Do consider my signature for the letter. Good luck with this initiative. Continue the good work.

5. TPFscopes

TPFscopes Engineer

@Adioz
    I want to correct something which I already shared in an update that IAF didn't like F-16 in any way due to various valid reasons.
    As of now, MoD/GoI favours f-16 to improve strategic relationships with US Where as IAF likes to have Gripen E from the option of two.

Adioz, aditya10r and binayak95 like this.
  6. binayak95

binayak95 Regular Member

Okay, economic reasons that I can think of:

1. Large production numbers will mean economy of scale and reduction of costs.
    2. Local aviation industry (pvt) is benefitting from Tejas project. They are already involved, do produce a significant number of parts. You want Make In India, govt sponsored large projects is the way forward.
    3. Trivial issues will disappear eventually as larger numbers see Squadron service.
    4. IAF needs time to understand the Tejas and adapt it to its own doctrines.
    5. The Navy gets involved with projects from the get go. From conceptualisation to development and production. IAF needs to do the same. Create a design directorate that works with HAL and pvt manufactureres.

Steven Rogers, Adioz, Sidd and 2 others like this.
  7. Pandora

Pandora Regular Member

No body called me..I will not put my views :/

tsunami, Adioz, Willy2 and 2 others like this.
  8. Hemu Vikram Aditya

Hemu Vikram Aditya Senior Member Senior Member

@Adioz Please consider my signature on the letter. Best of luck.

Adioz and Flame Thrower like this.
  9. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

we have to make this work other wise we will NEVER develop our own fighter jet industry while china forges ahead with many of their own

because if we give up now, the next effort in future will meet the same challenges and it is like a failure-loop which we can never exit from

goi has to start on the next version upgrade and keep it to time-schedule ... we boast of having large numbers of tech qualified people ???

@Adioz Do add my signature to the letter, and if appropriate quote the logic of my post above as part of the argument to not only keep LCA going but also to upgrade its design for the next stage

India simply cannot afford to allow this project of successfully designing our own fighter jet to fail

@TPFscopes@tejas [email protected]@[email protected] [email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@Indx [email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected] [email protected]@Bhumihar@[email protected] [email protected][email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected] Ek [email protected] [email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@Project [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@Bhoot [email protected]@Pinky [email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@Steven [email protected]@Jay Patel@kstriya

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  10. Mikesingh

Mikesingh Senior Member Senior Member

F-16A/B? That's history! They are ready for the museum! A lot of water has flowed under the bridge. The latest in the F-16 family is the Block 70/72 also known as F-16IN Super Viper.

Lockheed Martin had proposed this latest variant, the F-16IN Super Viper, for the manufacture of 126 aircraft in India. The F-16IN is the most advanced F-16 with features that include an AN/APG-80 AESA radar, advanced electronic warfare suites for total situational awareness, and an IRST system. Lockheed Martin would supply the first 18 aircraft, and will set up an assembly line in India in collaboration with Tata Advanced Systems for production of the remainder. The program is reportedly worth up to US$14 billion.

So then, there's no doubt that this is a top-of-the-line fighter 4++ gen aircraft, a slot lower than an advanced stealth fighter. And then once manufacturing facilities are up and ready, there would be a lot of moolah coming in, as India would be the lone centre for overhaul, repairs, and spares for the over 4500 F-16s around the world! That's a jackpot one shouldn't miss.

The Tejas we contend would be an indigenous fighter made in India but that would be incorrect as it can never be fully indigenous as most of the avionics etc would be sourced from Israel/US/EU. The only issue is TOT. Will the Americans give us the technology/source codes etc? I think that issue may be sorted out sooner than later.

And then what's PAF going to do with their 65 operational F-16s?

So I would prefer to go in for the top-of-the-line world class F-16IN Super Viper instead of the Tejas Mk2 where we would be spending millions more as well as the time factor for induction.

Scarface and binayak95 like this.
  11. aditya10r

aditya10r #bringbackvijyes Senior Member

Adioz and Flame Thrower like this.
  12. singhboy98

singhboy98 Regular Member

A very welcome initiative by the OP (I don't know how to tag people.Sorry). Anyways, please consider my support for this letter a given. If you require any more personal information (Full Name, Email Id etc.) while compiling and sending the letter, please ask. I will be putting my reasons for supporting the Tejas Mk-2 in an hour or two (need some time to put all my thoughts coherently).
    Thanks.

Adioz and roma like this.
  13. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

If we do not build our own fighter, we will forever be glorified vendors and slaves.

14. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

India will remain weak and inferior in technology and economically if it goes on import, The defense is not meant to be of imported equipment to start with ..

India is not Pakisthan or Kenya, We have 4th largest Army and equally largest Airforce and this all need equipment which can run and maintain inside our country, We don`t want to backrupt ourselves during War, When their is need for constant men and machine ..

Indegnious by design and second is by content, The tejas MK1 in its present config and number already has more Indian content than the rest of the designs which are being licensed manufactured, The Indian content will only increase in time, The issue with ToT is a wet dream and we know about it with Russians who are our so call long term defense partners ..

You don`t get ToT you steal, borrow and work hard, Don`t compare with Pakistan ( Insult ) ..

15. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

Do we always have to think in terms of mutually exclusive solutions ? .....

i know the money is hard to come by , but if we cut the corruption, and tweak the numbers to be acquired, i think we can have both if the numbers are suitably adjusted ..... and it should not affect our defence preparedness

india does things in fits and starts and there is little continuity in management as one goi coalition gives way to another , but the wrst was our do nothing "saint A " ....fortunately i understand he wasnt corrupt ? but doing nothing and taking salary is also a form of it ?

anyway that said any solution is better that the previous goi -- so lets try some adventurous management for a change , :- tweak the numbers and try to go for both ..... if we have dedicated people in management i think it can be done !!

Adioz likes this.
  16. Flame Thrower

Flame Thrower Regular Member

Adioz, varun9509 and aditya10r like this.
  17. varun9509

varun9509 Regular Member

@Adioz, please consider my signature as well.

Tejas is a braveheart that is still standing after so much criticism and roadblocks. If the yanks can have F16 B70, why can't there be Tejas MK70. Nothing can ever be perfect, there will always be room for improvement. We just need time, effort and willpower for making it happen. DON'T KILL TEJAS.

Sent from my YU5510 using Tapatalk

Adioz, Flame Thrower and aditya10r like this.
  18. rohit b3

rohit b3 Regular Member

@Adioz Mine as well please. Finally people are speaking up!

Adioz likes this.
  19. Project Dharma

Project Dharma दुष्ट आत्मा Senior Member

What does any politician want? If they are honest and patriotic they might care a little bit about service to nation. However, I'd argue most aren't. They fear losing their power the most.

We as a collective group most of which support BJP will not vote for the party any more if they do not support a project that will lead to R&D and jobs in this country in favor of foreign procurement.

That there is my best attempt at getting a politician to care, rest I don't believe this letter will have an effect.

For the others chiming in with signatures, OP isn't looking for your signature, he's looking for content for his letter. Please read the starting post.

F-14B, Adioz, singhboy98 and 4 others like this.
  20. Willy2

Willy2 Regular Member

The land which was in East Pakistan for 3 days
    @Adioz , I too support Pro-Tejas stance

cc]]ca

Adioz likes this.
  21. Sidd

Sidd Regular Member

This is all marketing gimmick of LM..Don't fall for it.

Adioz, Willy2 and Indx TechStyle like this.