Let’s talk to Owaisi, not jail him!

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Manas7, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Manas7

Manas7 Regular Member

Let’s talk to Owaisi, not jail him!

Vishwarupa, arnabmit, Dovah and 5 others like this.
  3. Dovah

Dovah Untermensch Senior Member

Whoa! that's one strong article. Tavleen Singh got balls.

panduranghari likes this.
  4. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

Excellent article...blurting out truths that not many have had the balls to say in public including right wing columnists..except perhaps Subramaniam Swamy...

The left libtards have done the most harm to India with their complete whitewashing of India's bloody past at the hands of the Islamic invaders and hyping up the their contributions to the "rich" mix of Indian culture.

5. SPIEZ

SPIEZ Senior Member Senior Member

Please don't make a big deal out of tards like this, who deliver hate speech.

They r better forgotten for the sake of the nation.

6. ani82v

ani82v Senior Member Senior Member

I don't think there is going to be any benefit of talking to people who have warped worldview and misplaced sense of superiority.

Its not about Owaisi, he is a politician and can change tunes according to occasion. Its about good majority of Muslims, of lower and lower middle class, who have this idea hammered into their head that India was civilization desert before arrival of Islam in India. And who have no idea how they became Muslims.

This is one sample of hammering that is happening right now. This champu lives in Aurangabad and with his group Islamic Research Center wishes to convey the message of Islam to the rest of humanity. This video was removed by him but was saved and uploaded by some well wisher. :)

The people whose world view is purely Islam centric, is there any point of "talking" to them?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  7. Raj30

Raj30 Senior Member Senior Member

Indian Islam under threat - Indian Express Mobile
    Indian Islam under threat

Tavleen Singh

If Javed Akhtar had not rung me to complain about the ‘communal’ nature of a piece I wrote on Akbar Owaisi in my syndicated column last week, I might have written about something else today. But, because Javed is an old friend, because I respect his opinion and because I think he is exactly the kind of Muslim intellectual who can lead his co-religionists away from the Islamist nonsense that Owaisi vomited out in his speech, I am going to use Javed’s charges against me to re-examine what secularism has come to mean in an Indian context.
    In my article (you can Google it), I made the point that when Owaisi mocked India’s civilisation and her religions, he was reflecting the opinion of an increasingly large number of lower middle class, half-literate Muslims. Javed said that this sounded as if I was labeling an entire community. This was not my intention but I reiterate my assertion that a large number of lower middle class Muslims are being taught a warped idea of Indian history. This makes them believe that India was an area of civilisational darkness until Islam came along and that its idol worshipping religions are worthy only of contempt. It is this that makes men like Akbar Owaisi assert disdainfully that the ‘naked statues’ in Ajanta are worth less than the Taj Mahal and the Qutab Minar.

Hindus rarely respond to assertions of this kind because Hindutva types are interested only in the Hindu religion and ‘secular’ Hindus are usually embarrassed to discuss India’s ancient past. Either because they know nothing about it or because they believe that there is little about India’s ancient history to be proud of other than the discovery of the zero.

Decades of an idea of India overlaid by the Congress version of secularism has cemented this attitude because Congress political leaders believe it is ‘communal’ to mention a past that was without doubt Hindu. To come back, though, to Owaisi’s speech, let me say that I believe he said nothing that warrants a charge of sedition. His speech was ignorant, tasteless and filled with hatred but I have listened to it more than once and did not see in it either sedition or an incitement to violence.

Could the Congress government of Andhra Pradesh have locked him up only to avoid being reminded that his party was until just the other day a constituent of the United Progressive Alliance? For a party that claims only to ally with political parties of ‘secular’ bent, the Congress certainly chooses some very dodgy Muslim allies. And, this brings us to the distortion in the idea of secularism that the Congress Party has perpetuated for petty political purposes.

In the old days, when Congress governments reigned supreme from Kashmir to Kanyakumari, Congress leaders did not need to make secularism a political issue. It was only after the Ayodhya movement in the nineties enabled the Bharatiya Janata Party to rise to new heights and coalition governments became the norm, that Congress ideologues discovered that one way to keep the BJP out of power was to label it ‘communal’. It was a clever idea that has become a powerful political tool and in 2014, the BJP could find itself isolated by some of its own allies if it announces Narendra Modi as its candidate for prime minister. But, the success of the Congress ploy has tarnished the secular character of the Indian state. It has reduced the meaning of the word secular to a label attached to certain political groupings.

This is sad because it is the secular nature of the Indian state that has made India come together as a nation in a way that it never did in the past. It is because India is secular that freedom of worship has become a fundamental characteristic of who we are as a people. It is one of the things we can be proud of and the only reason why a man like Owaisi can get away with making speeches in which he sneers at some of the most sacred aspects of the idea of India. So if he is guilty of anything, it is vulgarity, ignorance and a primitive disdain for those who do not share his religious beliefs.

For this, his punishment should be a long holiday with someone like Pravin Togadia or Ashok Singhal. He might find that he has more in common with them than he knows because one of the wonders of India is that fanatics, Hindu, Muslim and Sikh, look at history and religion through the same distorted lens. On a personal note, may I suggest to my old friend, Javed Akhtar, that he try to remember the kind of Islam that existed in India in his childhood and mine before harsh winds from Saudi Arabia changed it unrecognisably.

Follow Tavleen Singh on Twitter @ tavleen_singh

A chauhan likes this.
  8. pankaj nema

pankaj nema Senior Member Senior Member

We can TALK to him even when he is IN JAIL

9. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

All boils down to education, the Madarasa that is. I have told this long back, govt should take control of these Madarasa LS and what is being taught there. All Madarasas should be forced to follow ICSE or CBSE curriculum if at all.

Well Madarasas technically should be a place where they teach how to pray namaz, Quran and tenets of Islam and not brainwash young minds about some distorted history and culture.

Will a BJP led govt do such a thing? They can easily tie up with liberal Muslims. The state has all the powers to make people toe its line. Just like how we were led to believe that Gandhi was the Father of the Nation while he is not!

jalsa, Splurgenxs, A chauhan and 2 others like this.
  10. Yusuf

Yusuf GUARDIAN Administrator

I'd like to point out that every religion tries to show that IT is THE one. Consider it as a product and how marketing people come up with ad campaigns to show how their products are superior while others are not as good. It's to attract people to it and also serve as a means to keep the flock together.

So we have Christians who think Jesus is the only savior and Muslims think only Islam is the way. Part of the reason could be because they are "new" religions and had to do something to propagate.

I don't know what Hindu sermons are so can't comment on it.

If we look at this from this angle, I guess we can understand why there is "comparative" studies. But incitement of violence in the name of religion is not acceptable. While we can consider Tavleens view of talking and not making Owaisi a martyr, the other PoV is that he should be made an example of and that the state has to enforce its writ.

11. Sam2012

Sam2012 Tihar Jail Banned

If the same was done by a simple man , will u talk to him? . Why u didn't speak to Ramdev in ramlila maidan? this is a joke:lol::taunt::laugh:

panduranghari likes this.
  12. sasi

sasi Senior Member Senior Member

No party in India has the gut to do this.
    It should be done, if we really want upliftment of Muslims and to give equal opportunity to compete with the others.
    BJP cannot , situation dictates it. Liberal muslims, yes. But if it wants to be in power, Which liberal muslim party?
    Yes, in the entire education area, we certainly need to rewrite the history. Since it didn't give all state holder their due credits.

13. mikhail

mikhail Senior Member Senior Member

i think the GOI should act now and deal with these anti-national elements with strong hands otherwise they will turn a significant chunk of the Indian muslim community into extremists by brainwashing them in the name of Islam!what i mean to say that these people generally target the lower rung of the muslim society(who are poor and often illiterate)and use distorted version of Islam to brainwash those poor people and making them anti-Indians by heart,so its high time the GOI arrest these types of hatemongers and lock them up in prisons for life terms and at the same time we should start recruiting a large no. of pro-Indian muslim clerics and appoint them in the madrasas where they can teach the real version of Quran and Islam and help to turn the students studying there into patriots:rolleyes:!

14. hit&run

hit&run Elite Member Elite Member

This soft spoken wolf should concentrate on his own religion. The most heinous practise one religion can do is to compare itself with another religion, it a discourse which rather helping them exposes their dependency on the religion they are denouncing and their insecurity being self vulnerable, inadequate and incomplete religion.

The clown mocking authenticity of Hindus scripts and how they were accumulated has been badly ambushed by his own lack of knowledge, has brought history of origin of 'Quran' itself to the same ridicule as it was recited in 23 years of span with a claim that these were the words of God.

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  15. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

Such claims of exclusivity are shared only by Abrahamic religions.

16. Defenceindia2010

Defenceindia2010 Regular Member

17. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

The view its only madarsah educated muslims who have this worldview is highly misleading. Even I subscribed to that view till not long before..but I was quite shocked that this was the same even among public school educated graduates who are in respectable jobs now..Every where in the world Muslims are becoming more conservative perhaps after 9/11 and in India after 2002 riots which they perceive as not just "muslims under attack" but "Islam under attack" hence are becoming more identity conscious.

jalsa, arnabmit, ani82v and 1 other person like this.
  18. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

You can easily find loads of Zakir Naik followers with PhDs

19. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

20. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

Congress sending its paid journalist at work.

Next what let's talk to afzal guru and not jail him.

How low can they stoop to remain in power these [email protected]

21. Anoop Sajwan

Anoop Sajwan Regular Member

make him in two pieces is better than talk.