Let Congress decide on alliance; we don't need them: Mamata Banerjee

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by thakur_ritesh, Nov 18, 2011.

1. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

Let Congress decide on alliance; we don't need them: Mamata Banerjee - The Times of India

KOLKATA: "Decide whether you want to stay with us or not" -- was a fresh ultimatum served to the Congress party by Trinamool Congresssupremo and West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday after a protest rally by Youth Congress against alleged attacks on party workers by Trinamool activists.

A fiery Banerjee said the Congress has to decide both at the centre and the state whether to carry on the alliance with the Trinamool and added that her party does not need the Congress support.

"It is for the Congress to decide whether to support Trinamool or extend indirect support to Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M). It will be sorted out because this thing cannot go hand in hand. They (Congress) have earlier done the same thing. Trinamool doesn't want to stay with political parties which have covert relations with CPI-M," said Banerjee.

Banerjee said it was for the Congress to decide whether they want to stay with Trinamool or forge an alliance with the Communists.

"The Congress leaders are abusing us everyday. What do they think? In Delhi they don't have majority to run the central government but we have the majority in Bengal for running the state government. We don't need to depend on them to run the government," said Banerjee.

The Youth Congress on Friday took out a protest rally against alleged violence by Trinamool Congress activists on Congress workers across the state.

"What are they trying to achieve by taking out this rally in the South Kolkata area just before Lok Sabha by polls. Do they want to strengthen the hands of CPI-M? If they are taking out rallies then we can also take out rallies. People of Bengal are well aware of everything. They are with us," said Banerjee.

Asked whether she will register an official complaint with Congress president Sonia Gandhi or the prime minister regarding the rally, Banerjee said: "I don't believe in complaining. I hope they will get the message from what I said just now. It's better to stay separately than letting our supporters get thrashed by Congress supporters."

Earlier, on the issue of repeated petrol price hikes, Banerjee had threatened that her party - the second largest partner in the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA) - would not stay with the central government and demanded a roll-back.

3. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

this is the second such threat she has carried out, will she walk the talk?

last time it was sighted she had been assured of some 20,000crores for the state, taking the total to 41,000crs assistance from the center to WB, what will she be bargaining this time round?

4. trackwhack

trackwhack Tihar Jail Banned

Let me repeat myself here from an earlier post.

Mamta Banerjee needs to sound justified in pulling support from the UPA as soon as possible. If she can appear to justifyably pull support, the centre falls, early polls and she will sweep WB. That gives her a clout of at least 35 seats out of 42 against only 19 that she has now.
    If the government survives untill the end of its term in 2014, anti incumbency will not let her get more than 20 - 25 seats.
    I predict anti incumbency because she is quite umimaginitive in her policies and I cannot see WB making any major gains in the next three years of her governance.
    Further, the longer it takes for a general election, the more left will be able to regroup and madam knows this very well.

So Mamta has to bring down the centre within the next 6 months to get those 35 - 40 seats riding on her recent gains.

5. kayceeB

kayceeB New Member

Its not the congress has the great responsibility about that matter. I advise all people should take actions and shout out what they want or their opinion.