LeT attacks Pakistan Taliban(TTP) in Mohmand.

Blackwater

good for us..

But unless and until the border with Afghanistan is fenced and the supply line is closed even if we nuke them would not matter
Because they again will get moral support and funds from afghan govt
and who will fence it??/ who will fund it?

Blackwater

well civil war has started. as his holiness said ,its 4th gen war. apas me lar marenge pakis.

time is near for pak to disintegrate like Yugoslavia

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
It was in 2009 that this blog suggested that a fratricidal war among Pakistani militant groups is possible: the likelihood of this happening would increase as long as Pakistani army persisted with its policy of appeasing the United States while simultaneously nurturing Islamist militancy. The Pakistan army has long relied on groups like the Lashkar-e-Taiba to act on its behalf—so it is conceivable that they will be employed against Pashtun insurgents, like those belonging to Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan. (Militant proxies are already being used against insurgents in Balochistan and to terrorise religious minorities in Gilgit-Baltistan).

There were some rumblings of conflict between militant groups the following year. However, this month, the fighting is out in the open.

Mukarram Khurasani, spokesman for the TTP's Mohmand chapter chief Omar Khaliq, told Dawn.com that hundreds of militants had attacked the Pakistani Taliban positions in Shongrai and the bordering village of Jarobi Darra.

Khurasani also accused Lashkar-i-Taiba commander Haji Abdul Rahim of leading the attackers.

The Taliban's Mohmand chapter chief also claimed that the attack had been repulsed and said that one attacker was killed while three were injured.

Meanwhile, Lashkar-i-Taiba spokesperson Mahmud Ghaznavi rejected the allegations that the group was involved in the clashes. [Dawn]

The report also claims that the Afghan Taliban had also lined up with the Lashkar-e-Taiba, but pulled back after TTP sought Mullah Omar's intervention. As I wrote in this week's Business Standard column, this is a tricky situation where the TTP is at war with the Pakistan army but swears allegiance to Mullah Omar, who for his part, is beholden to the Pakistan army. Yes, it's complicated.

The TTP is spoiling both General Kayani's and Mullah Omar's party. Not to forget, there are factions within the Pakistani military establishment that are backing the TTP.

http://acorn.nationalinterest.in/2013/06/26/lashkar-e-taiba-vs-tehreek-e-taliban-pakistan/

DivineHeretic

Country flag
Can India can offer support to Afghans and get rid of PA......
You have to be clear whom you meant by the Afgans. They are as fractured a society as it gets.

If you mean the Northern Alliance, then yes, we have, and we will be supporting them if the fractured society breaks apart and civil war descends onto Afg.

If you meant the Afgan Taliban, then you would be dead wrong. True, certain elements within the Afg Taliban are in favour of establishing ties with us, but we cannot be sure of their long term agenda. And Haqqani is still at large.

If you mean the TTP, then you must realise that they are no less a threat to us as the PA. The enemy of my enemy is my friend does not exactly fly with them. They will side with the PA incase of confrontation with India. Of course, this does not mean that we cant supply them to maintain the insurgency in Pak, but we must ensure that they aee executed as soon as their necessity is completed. Do not keep your dirty laundry out in the open.

There are certain groups, especially the Baloch and now the sectarian minority who would like Indiam support. But we must be willing to sacrifice the, should a better deal come through

TrueSpirit

If we play our cards right, this could be a potentially golden opportunity for India for advancements of its interests in our neighborhood.

Instead of being aloof, I believe this is one skirmish that we ought to foment (support the weaker side until it gets strong enough, while at the same time building a bridge with tribal Pakhtoons through our actions). Thus, ensuring that conflagrations spread throughout Pak (particularly Pak-jab & Rawalpindi).

I believe, Pakhtoon nationalism is the answer to all ills plaguing this region & through TTP, we can make a good start in this direction. Basically, a separate homeland for the Pakhtoon uniting all their tribes across both sides of Durand line is the idea.

India already has working relations with prominent elders of Durrani tribes, particularly the Barakzais, Popalzais and Alikozais. We could sideline the ultra-radical Ghilzais & Nuristanis & bolster well-meaning collaborators in this endeavor. If thsi separate homeland can be materialized, the inherent flaw in Af-stan, the existential dilemma could be resolved to the benefit of all Tajiks/Hazara/Uzbeks as well as Pakhtoon tribes.

It is not going to be simple but it is an essential project someone needs to undertake, if one aspires to accomplish some sort of symmetry, in the security paradigm of this region.

Last edited:

MLRS

This is a continuation of the age old British tactic of dealing with tribals through proxies. Pakistan adopted this method.

Poseidon

Country flag
As LeT is busy in another front,ISI is now giving most of it's support to HM.

TrueSpirit

This is a continuation of the age old British tactic of dealing with tribals through proxies. Pakistan adopted this method.
What is a continuation of the age old British tactic ? Are you replying to my post ?

MLRS

What is a continuation of the age old British tactic ? Are you replying to my post ?
No, I did not reply your post, but was commenting on Pakistan's use of proxies to deal with tribals. Notice how the Pak Army is absent from the entire picture. Pakistan's border security is managed by militias.

TrueSpirit

No, I did not reply your post, but was commenting on Pakistan's use of proxies to deal with tribals. Notice how the Pak Army is absent from the entire picture. Pakistan's border security is managed by militias.
ok. right.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
It was in 2009 that this blog suggested that a fratricidal war among Pakistani militant groups is possible: the likelihood of this happening would increase as long as Pakistani army persisted with its policy of appeasing the United States while simultaneously nurturing Islamist militancy. The Pakistan army has long relied on groups like the Lashkar-e-Taiba to act on its behalf—so it is conceivable that they will be employed against Pashtun insurgents, like those belonging to Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan. (Militant proxies are already being used against insurgents in Balochistan and to terrorise religious minorities in Gilgit-Baltistan).
Yusuf, will it not pour Oil to the dormant furnace of Pashtun nationalism?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yusuf, will it not pour Oil to the dormant furnace of Pashtun nationalism?
The Pakis are looking to divide Astan to stop that from happening. Absurd idea and thinking.

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Hmm .. so the strategic depth is in fact a strategic gap between the Pakistani State and the Pashtun nationalism.
If the gap i.e. depth weren't there, the Pashtun black hole could eat Pakistan in no time.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles