Leon Panetta visits India - boost in Indo-US defence ties ?

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Our long-term goal should be a detente with China and the eviction of all Western (i.e. U.S. and what's left of U.K.) bases and influence from Asia.

trackwhack

Our long-term goal should be a detente with China and the eviction of all Western (i.e. U.S. and what's left of U.K.) bases and influence from Asia.
I would go a step further. Talk to the Chinese with a permanent solution to Aksai Chin, Arunachal and Tibet. Make an offer to amalgamate Arunachal and an area equivalent to twice that of Arunachal that includes Lhasa and hand it over to the Dalai and his followers. Independent Tibet is born with China and India moving out all their armed forces from the country. China cedes back Aksai Chin. Border row settled. Tibetan independence settled. And there should be no more issues between the two countries once the chins promise not to interfere in Indo Pak.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I would go a step further. Talk to the Chinese with a permanent solution to Aksai Chin, Arunachal and Tibet. Make an offer to amalgamate Arunachal and an area equivalent to twice that of Arunachal that includes Lhasa and hand it over to the Dalai and his followers. Independent Tibet is born with China and India moving out all their armed forces from the country. China cedes back Aksai Chin. Border row settled. Tibetan independence settled. And there should be no more issues between the two countries once the chins promise not to interfere in Indo Pak.
But why would china do that ? they gain nothing.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
They gain legitimacy over the remaining parts of Tibet. It is in China's interests that they work with us rather than against us.
Well the chinese dont think along those lines.

I haven't been able to understand why china has made India an enemy...there was never any reason. We dont claim anything they have or fund/arm groups or countries against them. Biggest blunder of china is to make India its enemy needlesly and give the west a tool (India) to use it against china.

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador

I haven't been able to understand why china has made India an enemy...there was never any reason. We dont claim anything they have or fund/arm groups or countries against them. Biggest blunder of china is to make Indian its enemy needlesly and give the west a tool (India) to use it against china.
Some people say that there are internal factions within CCP and PLA which sometimes clash and have different takes on foreign policy.

But it is clear that Mao was a fool in more ways than one.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
They gain legitimacy over the remaining parts of Tibet. It is in China's interests that they work with us rather than against us.

I haven't been able to understand why china has made India an enemy...there was never any reason. We dont claim anything they have or fund/arm groups or countries against them. Biggest blunder of china is to make Indian its enemy needlesly and give the west a tool (India) to use it against china.
Chinese are expansionist by nature. We on the other hand are a status quo power. Acquiring land and subsequent hanization of the population is not a new strategy

trackwhack

They made us their enemy because of Tibet. Thats why the only solution is the independence of Tibet. When I say only solution, what I mean is if India and China have to become strategic allies to get rid of the West from Asia, this issue has to be resolved. I will go to the extent to state that 21st century peace will revolve around Tibet now that the US is serious about dissolving Pakistan and the Islamic threat.

The Chinese do not think along these lines of a solution because the CCP is not willing to swallow its ego and resolve the issues. I believe that when saner people rule China, they will want to grant Tibet its independence but retain significant territory as a trade off. The same could happen with East Turkestan as well.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
The Chinese do not think along these lines of a solution because the CCP is not willing to swallow its ego and resolve the issues. I believe that when saner people rule China, they will want to grant Tibet its independence but retain significant territory as a trade off. The same could happen with East Turkestan as well.
tw, forget CCP. The "democratic" government in Taiwan considers Mongolia to be a part of China too.

trackwhack

tw, forget CCP. The "democratic" government in Taiwan considers Mongolia to be a part of China too.
Yes I am aware of it. I was commenting on the only scenario that would ensure real peace between India and China. If China wants peace, it will have to make this compromise.

Whether they will do it or not is a different question.

Tolaha

A solution that involves China willingly giving up complete control of Tibet and Aksai Chin is less of a solution and more of a 'hope', on our part! Status quo suits China more than India currently. So they will continue to do what they have been doing. Talk and talk, but do nothing!

trackwhack

A solution that involves China willingly giving up complete control of Tibet and Aksai Chin is less of a solution and more of a 'hope', on our part! Status quo suits China more than India currently. So they will continue to do what they have been doing. Talk and talk, but do nothing!
I did not say whole of Tibet, just a part of Tibet, in fact less than half of the land area.

latsar

Why should India giveaway Arunachal in name of peace . No country worth its salt or of even little repute will seed a state or province in the name of peace .China would never give up aksai chin as the same with India should never give up Arunachal. IT IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF INDIA.

Last edited:

latsar

Furthermore His Holiness Dalai Lama doesn't want an independent Tibet ,He wants only an autonomous Tibet within china .No offence to His Holiness,maybe He is seeing a pontential one billion future converts to buddhism in China so He wants to be apart of China.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Why should India giveaway Arunachal in name of peace . No country worth its salt or of even little repute will seed a state or province in the name of peace .China would never give up aksai chin as the same with India should never give up Arunachal. IT IS AN INTEGRAL PART OF INDIA.
Look at the success Israel has realized with a policy of land for peace.:rolleyes:

ejazr

Ambassador
That is all well and good but how will we have leverage on China to force the detente? I love my country but I would be foolish not to recognise that China is economically and militarily much better than us at present. This is where balancing ties with the US comes into play.

AT a smaller scale, we see how Nepal or Sri Lanka for example play India and China against each other and gather benefits from both. That is how we have to look at the US and China triangle.

For the next century, US, China and India will have a trilateral relationship and it would be India's interest to have close ties with the US so as to achieve that detente with China. Any whiff of India getting close to the US makes China come back to India with conciliatory attitudes. Wether it be the nuke deal and now with the Asia pivot that the US is doing. China will desperately want India to maintain an independant stance. And we should. But we should try to extract concessions from the Chinese, economic, territorial, strategic e.t.c. for holding that independant stance.

IF just jump on the independant bandwagon, then the Chinese will not have any incentive to achive a detente with India.

Last edited:

ejazr

Ambassador
The Hindu : News / National : Panetta promises technology access

U.S. Defence Secretary Leon Panetta on Wednesday assured his Indian counterpart A. K. Antony that Washington would initiate measures to facilitate technology access and sharing.

Mr. Panetta met Mr. Antony for about an hour in the South Block offices of the Defence Ministry and held delegation-level talks.

The meeting comes ahead of the third India-U.S. Strategic Dialogue to be held in Washington from June 13.

Both sides exchanged views on the security situation in West Asia, South Asia and the Af-Pak region and on various global security challenges, including in the area of cyber security. They agreed that there are opportunities to enhance ties in areas of mutual interest and concern, says a Defence Ministry release.

Mr. Antony emphasised that the priority for India was to move beyond the buyer-seller transactions and to focus on transfer of technologies and partnerships to build indigenous capabilities.

On security concerns in the Asia-Pacific region, Mr. Antony said India supported unhindered freedom of navigation in international waters for all. At the same time, with regard to bilateral issues, he stressed that it was desirable that the parties concerned should settle contentious matters in accordance with international laws.

Ganesh2691

India linchpin in new US military strategy, says Panetta | DAWN.COM

NEW DELHI, June 6: Pentagon chief Leon Panetta vowed on Wednesday to expand defence ties between India and the United States, saying New Delhi was a `linchpin' in a new US military strategy focused on Asia.

At a think-tank in the Indian capital, Me Panetta said that military ties had dramatically improved over the past decade.
But he said more work was needed to ensure the two countries could safeguard the `crossroads' of the global economy spanning the Indian Ocean and the Western Pacific.

"For this relationship to truly provide security for this region and for the world, we will need to deepen our defence and security cooperation.

"This is why I have come to India," Mr Panetta told an audience at the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses.

Having overcome suspicions from the Cold War-era, "our two nations I believe have finally and irreversibly started a new chapter of our history".Mr Panetta, who met Indian leaders on Tuesday and Wednesday, said he believed the relationship "can and should become more strategic, more practical, and more collaborative."

He said a new US strategy sought to "expand our military partnerships and our presence in the arc extending from the Western Pacific and East Asia into the Indian Ocean region and South Asia."

"Defence cooperation with India is a linchpin in this strategy."

Mr Panetta called for more joint research and production, expanding military exercises and for both countries to tackle legal dilemmas posed by space weapons and cyber warfare.

India favours improving military ties and buying weapons from the United States but does not want to become a full-fledged American ally, preferring a degree of breathing space, analysts say.

Ties with Pakistan

A day after Al Qaeda's number two leader was killed in a drone strike in Pakistan, Mr Panetta acknowledged that both India and the United States faced difficulties with Islamabad.

"Pakistan is a complicated relationship for both of our countries, but one that we must work to improve," he said.

Mr Panetta said both the United States and India wanted to see China play a prominent role in the region.

"As the United States and India deepen our defence partnership with each other, both of us will also seek to strengthen our relations with China," he said.

He hailed growing arms sales with India but said both countries needed to remove obstacles that were holding back defence trade and the transfer of technology.

"To realise the full potential of defence trade relations, we need to cut through the bureaucratic red tape on both sides," he said.

Drone attacks
Mr Panetta said that the US would continue to launch drone attacks against Al Qaeda in Pakistan despite complaints from Islamabad that the strikes violated its sovereignty.
"We have made it very clear that we are going to continue to defend ourselves," he said.
"This is about our sovereignty as well," he said, arguing that Al Qaeda militants who orchestrated the Sept 11 attacks on the United States were in Pakistan's tribal areas

Global Defence

New threads

Articles