Lenovo top PC seller in India

huaxia rox

Lenovo top PC seller in India [Hardware] [Times of India]

(Times of India Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) BANGALORE: For the first time, Chinese personal computer maker Lenovo has cornered the largest share in the overall Indian PC market, overtaking Dell and Hewlett-Packard (HP), according to data from market researcher IDC.

Latest data shows that Lenovo has a market share of 15.8% in the three months to March 31, compared to 10% in the previous period, which had put the Chinese PC-maker at 4th spot then. Dell, which is at number two spot, saw its market share shrink by 2.6 % while HP follows with a market share of 14.9 % in the March quarter.

With the top spot switching among HP, Dell and Lenovo, Indian PC market is witnessing high competition, especially as the PC penetration here is extremely low and hardware makers sense a long-term opportunity.

Lenovo's push to the top was aided by a large order from the Tamil Nadu government to supple free laptops to graduating school children - a promise made during last year's state assembly elections. A few months ago, Tamil Nadu announced procurement of 9 lakh laptops at about 14,000 a piece. Lenovo, along with HCL Infosystems and Acer, had bagged the contract.

Coming out of a slump, the Indian PC market grew 7.7% in the first quarter of the year as a revival in consumer sentiment backed by strong sales in semi-urban areas pushed sales upwards.

According to IDC, nearly 2.63 million units were shipped from January to March this year. Consumer segment grew the most at 19.6% in the first quarter of 2012 over the same period last year.

"Consumer-led sales are a healthy sign," said Adwaita Govind Menon, associate director & head of new products at the Indian arm of IDC.

"The growth in the consumer category is seen primarily in the portable PCs as consumer purchase pattern shifts away from the desktop devices towards more compact and mobile devices such as notebooks, mini-notebooks and other ultra portable PCs," said Kiran Kumar, senior market analyst at IDC.

As governments in Uttar Pradesh and Punjab gear up to fulfil election promises, more such government deals are likely to happen in the last quarter of this fiscal year.

Despite being the festive season, computer sales had gone down in the December quarter last year because of a shortage of hard disks and fluctuations in the value of rupee against other currencies, especially dollar. Brands that are importing components or the whole PC to sell it in India are struggling because of the price rise and foreign exchange fluctuations.

"Everyone is making a loss in the Tamil Nadu deal," said Menon. Though sequential growth of 7.7 % is encouraging, a year-on-year growth of 3.5% is not enough, feel PC makers.

"Comparatively, emerging markets are growing 15-16%," said Amar Babu, Managing Director, Lenovo India. Going by the low PC penetration level, India should grow much faster and consumer buying needs to go up, said Babu.

Commercial PC market slowed down in the first quarter, dropping by about 6% year-on-year. "This is largely because of cautious spending by enterprises even as fears of global downturn remains to simmer down," said Kumar.

Agni5

Each and every product from china we consume, i'm afraid to say in the long run we will found ourselves poisoned in chini way.
A silent poison.
EU alligations against huawei, zte's selling strategies shown concern over bloatwares in devices are recent.
Strategy china acquired is "SELL CHEAP" remain in the market till every other compititor vanishes.
I buy absolutely non chinese products rather i prefer Indian. Certainly never lenovo dell etc.

s002wjh

Country flag
Each and every product from china we consume, i'm afraid to say in the long run we will found ourselves poisoned in chini way.
A silent poison.
EU alligations against huawei, zte's selling strategies shown concern over bloatwares in devices are recent.
Strategy china acquired is "SELL CHEAP" remain in the market till every other compititor vanishes.
I buy absolutely non chinese products rather i prefer Indian. Certainly never lenovo dell etc.

then don't buy it. no one force you to purchase it.

Agni5

Not only lenovo, chinese mobile phones which available in India are sold at per kilogram rate.
Looking indeginiusly made chinese mobile with QUALITY perspective that seems extraordinarily POOR. So that DF.
Am i right?
And yes i purchase on my will. Thats democracy my brother.

Last edited:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
A silent poison.
Good choice!

Indian companies listening?

s002wjh

Country flag
there are cheap products made in china and there are also decent/high quality product made in china, you just have to pay for it. it also depend on the type of products

J20!

Country flag
A silent poison.
Hah! What bull, I bet there's something in your house RIGHT THIS MINUTE that's made in China. You cant deny that. and considering that China produces many more things than India does, you cant possibly say you only buy Indian products.

Oracle

I bought a Lenovo Laptop 6 months back. The keyboard wore out after 2 months. Thankfully, I was covered by warranty. Whatever company Chinese overtook is in a state of misery, and we all wonder why?

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
I have bought many Chinese products especially electronics which sell like hell due to cheap prices, Mobiles are one such example. Chinese mobile phone sales in India may have surpassed sales of all other companies put together.

However, the Quality is TOOOO Poor and mobiles cog out within few months, then they are only to be thrown in the Junk! These days, even the poor don't rely on Chinese made products, even they despise the low and cheap quality, due to this soon the sales of Chinese products will dip!

Lenovo sells cheap that's why it may be the best seller among majority of Indians who still go for Cheap products (though Lenovo is not that unreliable), however, when it comes to Quality, it can never be matched with Dell, Sony and Apple! Period.

Last edited:

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
/\/\/\ Where were you for so many days bro?
Bro work and all. However, I do visit DFI everyday and sometimes participate in the discussions. How have you been? How life other wise?

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Most people forget that a lot of people would not have bought laptops if they were not cheap. I think Chinese manufacturers have helped a lot in cutting prices across all manufacturing goods and made life easier for many people, who cannot afford quality products.

No reason to get delighted or gloomy, as long as trade helps in increasing competition and increase consumer choices.

Agni5

Hah! What bull, I bet there's something in your house RIGHT THIS MINUTE that's made in China. You cant deny that. and considering that China produces many more things than India does, you cant possibly say you only buy Indian products.
Hey !!!!!!! you are right, awsome simply awsome, i had two short rats in my house, I also had a cat Prithvi she usually takes care of such tiny rats but i'm surprised these new made in china rats were superb they can jump and know Kung-Fu.
i just deployed Agni5 and got the job done.

Nokia manufctures in china that doesnt mean nokia is a chinese company. similarly apple.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Most people forget that a lot of people would not have bought laptops if they were not cheap. I think Chinese manufacturers have helped a lot in cutting prices across all manufacturing goods and made life easier for many people, who cannot afford quality products.

No reason to get delighted or gloomy, as long as trade helps in increasing competition and increase consumer choices.
I just find it funny that they are proud of moving into a dying PC market. It is like moving into making cassette tapes when the world moved to CDs.

satish007

I bought a Lenovo Laptop 6 months back. The keyboard wore out after 2 months. Thankfully, I was covered by warranty. Whatever company Chinese overtook is in a state of misery, and we all wonder why?
that's becuae you posted too many chi-chat threads in this forum. not Lenovo's business.

AprilLyrics

r u ....German Boy?
[video]http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzYzODY2MDg0.html[/video]
[video]http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzYzODY2MDg0.html[/video]

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles