Last Indian Navy Tu-142ME Overhaul Completed

Discussion in 'Indian Navy' started by Galaxy, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Last Indian Navy Tu-142ME Overhaul Completed

Beriev announced on December 5 that it has delivered back to the Indian Navy the last of its eight Tu-142MEs to be overhauled.

[​IMG]
    Newly overhauled and upgraded Indian Navy Tuploev Tu-142ME Bear-F IN312 prepares to depart from Beriev's facility at Taganrog on delivery back to India on December 5. Beriev

Beriev Aircraft announced on December 5 that it has completed a major overhaul of the last of the Indian Air Force's eight Tu-142ME Bear-F long-range anti-submarine warfare aircraft. In additional to maintenance work, the aircraft have undergone a service life extension programme, including some equipment upgrading, which should see them remain in service until 2020.

The final aircraft, IN312, has now completed all necessary flight-testing after completion of the work and was formally delivered back to the Indian Navy at Beriev's facility in Taganrog. It was then flown back to India to rejoin Indian Naval Air Squadron 312 'Albatross' at Indian Naval Station Rajali, Arrakonam, which opereates all of the Indian Navy's Tu-142ME fleet.

Last Indian Navy Tu-142ME Overhaul Completed: key.Aero, Military Aviation

JAISWAL, W.G.Ewald, Dovah and 3 others like this.
  3. Galaxy

One Mistake: All Tu-142 are not stationed at INS Rajali, Chennai. Few are stationed at INS Hansa (Dabolim, Goa) also for west region.​ :)

indian_sukhoi likes this.
  4. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Great news. Nice planes these!

5. binayak95

binayak95 Regular Member

Its good to know that the Tu 142 will remain in service for a long period. That means these planes will operate alongside the P8I poseidon

6. sesha_maruthi27

sesha_maruthi27 Senior Member Senior Member

Hey Guys is this the world's largest turbo prop engine plane? If it is so then I saw this at Visakhapatnam on the Navy Day, just a day before yesterday.

7. sesha_maruthi27

sesha_maruthi27 Senior Member Senior Member

Guys yeah this is the plane I saw. It was specially brought from Arrakonam to Visakhapatnam for the Navy Day. I will post a long shot photo of the Plane which i took from my mobile.

charlyondfi and indian_sukhoi like this.
  8. Koovie

Koovie Regular Member

man that plane has a special look, not ugly but..... odd

indian_sukhoi likes this.
  9. hitesh

hitesh New Member

Cos its worlds fastest propeller driven plane

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  10. indian_sukhoi

indian_sukhoi Regular Member

IN always wanted a Long range maritime aircrafts. Tu-142s Loiter time can last twelve hours and travel near to Australian coastline. Even the Austrlian govt showed concerned about it.

Thats the best part having four rotary blade engines. It can even switch off two engines to increase its loiter time. Dunno about the Tu-142s, but P-3 Orion can.

Thought INS rajali is only Naval Aviation base capable to handle Tu-142s.

The biggest setback of Tu142s is its huge and needs lengthy runways.
    When russians offered Tu-142s in late 80s, we actually rejected the offer. Because IN Aviation wing would need to upgrade their runways more bigger and new infrastructure needed to maintain.

Yes, Tu142 are the largest and fastest turboprop aircraft in service. There are actually a maritime version of Tu-95s of russian backbone bomber fleet.

On the next Navy Day, Lets hope to see Tu-142, P-8 and IL-38s flying side by side. The IN P-8I is presently going on trials back in US this year.

Hoping to watch Navy Day next year in vizag or mumbai. Looking forward to click some pictures of Ruskie and amercian aircrafts flying side by side.

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  11. indian_sukhoi

indian_sukhoi Regular Member

Here is a complete detail about the Tu-142 upgrade program saga. I hope we didnt pay extra money, the Russians demanded.

According to the deal signed in 2004, Taganrog Aviation Company refits one Tu-142s annually.

Tu-142s Upgrade Program

Soviets used Tu-142s especially to maintain communication with its Nuclear Submarines.

Tu-142 communications duties between India's nuclear command center and its future nuclear submarine

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/NAVY/Aviation/Aircraft/119-Tupolev-Tu142m.html

12. Galaxy

Good thing is that our Maritime patrol and anti-submarine warfare aircraft fleet is operating without any hassle and delay.

As per report by 2020, All 8 Tu-142 will be decommissioned but by that time, Most likely we will be operating 24 P8I too. so, we will always have no. and quality to maintain more teeth to IN.

13. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

That seems an interesting technical problem. If not classified, does anyone here know how it is accomplished? I am thinking of some kind of sonobuoy.

I guess it isn't a secret that the USN uses, or did use, ELF for this purpose.