Last chance for Philippines

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
CHINA: The Philippines Is Facing Its 'Last Chance' Over Territory Dispute - Business Insider
The territorial dispute in the South China Sea between Vietnam, the Philippines, and China is far from over.

The three countries have been going back-and-forth over rights to supposed oil and gas reserves throughout the region, with Malaysia, Taiwan and Brunei also attempting to lay claim on the deposits.

There were hopes the issue would be brought closer to resolution during the recent Association of Southeast Asian Nations summit in Cambodia, but that get-together seems to have had exactly the opposite effect.

Brian Spegele at the WSJ's China Real Time Reports that Chinese Major General Luo Yuan left the summit, got back to China and penned a warning to the island nation that he published in the Global Times newspaper.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Thundering clouds have not brought rain yet. Any idea when they will shut up and back their words with ultimate deed?

pmaitra

I am waiting for PRC to start playing favourites and getting these smaller littoral states to quarrel with each other.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I am waiting for PRC to start playing favourites and getting these smaller littoral states to quarrel with each other.
Hardly. The problem here for the Reds is that all these states have COMMON problems with China's claims and aggression. So there's no way they could favor any one of them without actually accepting that they're transgressing into territory that's not theirs. CCP is now stuck between a rock and a hard place. :D

Philippines and Vietnam actually started joint patrols of SCS region. Though they're not best of allies, both share same concerns. Considering Vietnam has experienced the "peace" that China emanates and given back in the same kind, Philippines would prefer relying on them rather than buy into the Reds' words.

amoy

China has already been working on this. Cambodia is the closest to China inside ASEAN.

Cambodia denies Asean rift over sea disputes with China | Inquirer Global Nation
PHNOM PENH—Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen on Wednesday angrily rejected reports of a rift within Southeast Asian nations over how to settle overlapping maritime disputes with China.

He also denied reports that China had pressured Cambodia, the current chair of the 10-member Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean), to pull the issue off the agenda of the bloc's summit this week in Phnom Penh.

"Maybe some people think that during the Asean summit there is a difference of view between Asean and China. That is the wrong thinking," he said, adding that all parties were committed to peacefully resolving the disputes.
Chinese President Hu Jintao visited Cambodia on the eve of the summit in what many analysts took to be a form of pressure on Phnom Penh to use its chairmanship to slow down the West Philippine Sea (South China Sea) negotiations.

Cambodian officials deny they are under any pressure from Beijing, but Hun Sen left the maritime disputes and the proposed code of conduct — first mooted 10 years ago — off his list of ASEAN priorities for 2012.

GromHellscream

That's still the individual opinion of General Luo, at least there is no official phrase "勿谓言之不预" mentioned there.:rolleyes:

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
That's still the individual opinion of General Luo, at least there is no official phrase "勿谓言之不预" mentioned there.:rolleyes:
Do you think an individual in uniform will make a comment in an important matter as SCC ? Your so called parliament is full of Army chaps controlling your foreign, domestic and defense policies. At the end of the day they will will your country in hellhole. No nation in the history of the world with military Generals at the helm have had positive end. Germany, Russia, Iraq, Libya, Italy(2nd WW) Spain, Portugal, Yugoslavia and several South American Countries are the example of the past one hundred years. So bring a new revolution and throw out the Army brass from parliament and stay with in your international geographic boundary.

pmaitra

Hardly. The problem here for the Reds is that all these states have COMMON problems with China's claims and aggression. So there's no way they could favor any one of them without actually accepting that they're transgressing into territory that's not theirs. CCP is now stuck between a rock and a hard place. :D

Philippines and Vietnam actually started joint patrols of SCS region. Though they're not best of allies, both share same concerns. Considering Vietnam has experienced the "peace" that China emanates and given back in the same kind, Philippines would prefer relying on them rather than buy into the Reds' words.
It is in the interest of PRC to keep the opposition divided. I hope India and US play a major role to keeping up one single united front against PRC's claims on South China Sea.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
This is great.

They have also told Russia to stay away from the South China Sea.

I think they are wanting to test their new weapons!

s002wjh

Country flag
It is in the interest of PRC to keep the opposition divided. I hope India and US play a major role to keeping up one single united front against PRC's claims on South China Sea.
i can see US involvement, but india, i doubt it, no benefit at all, and just piss of china. china will just hurt india on other issues. i mean whats the gain by helping phillipine or vietanam.

trackwhack

i can see US involvement, but india, i doubt it, no benefit at all, and just piss of china. china will just hurt india on other issues. i mean whats the gain by helping phillipine or vietanam.
You are right, India does not have the balls to sort its own issues, we should not try to piss China off. Oh, wait, China is India's main issue.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I believe it is freezing in Manila, because all must be shivering given this threat.

Last chance!

Oh wow!

s002wjh

Country flag
again if india has significant gain from helping vietnam, phillipine then sure. its the same reason why europe will stay out of SCS issues, other than mouth bashing. if india help vietanm/phillipine, does india get any free oil from SCS, establish base in vietnam or phillpine? so whats the point of picking a bolder and hit your own feet. not only india won't gain anything, china will try to hurt india on many other issues. not a good business deal here.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
India will help any one to extract resources out of the sea.

It is obvious that they are doing for commercial interest and not to challenge any Nation.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles