Lalu Prasad convicted in fodder scam case, sentencing on October 3

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Vishwarupa, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Vishwarupa

Vishwarupa Senior Member Senior Member

NEW DELHI: A special CBI court in Ranchi on Monday convicted former Bihar chief minister and RJD president Lalu Prasad in a case related to fodder scam.

The quantum of sentence in the case will be announced on October 3.

The case, RC 20 A /96, involves Lalu Prasad, another former Bihar CM Jagannath Mishra, JD (U) MP Jagdish Sharma and 41 others, including four retired IAS officer and a former Income-Tax commissioner.

In this case, the accused have been held guilty of fraudulent withdrawal to the tune of Rs 37.7 crore from Chaibasa treasury in the 1990s. Chaibasa was then part of undivided Bihar.

All the other accused including another former chief minister of Bihar, Jagannath Mishra, have been convicted in the case.

Lalu Prasad convicted in fodder scam case, sentencing on October 3 - The Times of India

3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

So, Pop goes the Weasel!

Half a pound of tuppenny rice,
    Half a pound of treacle.
    That’s the way the money goes,
    Pop! goes the weasel.

Finally, the crooked politicians are being shown up for what they are worth.

4. SLASH

SLASH Senior Member Senior Member

What is the minimum and maximum sentence? Which higher court can he apply now? With Lalu Prasad in jail, how will it effect the prospects of JDU in 2014 election?

5. kseeker

kseeker Retired

Lalu would challenge the court's decision anyway, right ? That would again drag this case to eternity !

Am I wrong in thinking that ?

6. Ray

CBI did not probe fodder allegations against Bihar CM

The agency has been sitting on the allegation made by the main accused in the case that Nitish Kumar took Rs 1 cr for election expenditure.

The Central Bureau of Investigation, for nearly two decades sat on allegations of corruption made by the main accused in the fodder scam case against the present Bihar Chief Minister and senior Janata Dal (United) leader Nitish Kumar and JDU general secretary and Rajya Sabha member Shivanand Tiwari. In a "confession" made to the CBI in May 1996, the late Shyam Bihari Sinha alleged that in 1994, Nitish Kumar, who was with the Samata Party at the time, took Rs 1 crore as election expenditure and Shivanand Tiwari Rs 30-35 lakh from the people involved in the scam. But the CBI never probed these charges. On 20 September 2013, the Jharkhand High Court asked the CBI to file a "counter affidavit" by 22 November explaining why the agency never named Kumar and Tiwari as accused in the fodder case. A copy of the "confession" is with The Sunday Guardian.

When contacted, JDU spokesperson K.C. Tyagi said he was not aware of the matter and that he would get back after getting the details of the case. However, JDU national general secretary Arun Kumar Srivastava said, "They (scamsters) gave money to many people. But the issue is whether those who took money did any work or not in lieu of the payment. In any case, we would not like to comment on it as judiciary is doing its job. Law should take its own course."

Shyam Bihari Sinha made this statement to the then CBI deputy superintendent of police Sharavan Kumar. Sinha alleged that the money was paid through Umesh Prasad Singh, who was a section officer in Bihar's Cabinet Vigilance Department.

According to another "confession" made to the CBI by accused Umesh Prasad Singh, Tiwari was allegedly paid an additional Rs 4 lakh in a bid to manage the Opposition, which was keen on pursuing the case in the courts of law.

A copy of Sinha's "confession" was obtained through the RTI route by Mithilesh Kumar Singh, a Patna-based social activist in 2009. Singh has been running from court to court ever since to get his voice heard. A CBI court quashed the case twice. Singh finally moved the Jharkhand High Court three months ago. The High Court took cognizance of the petition and pulled up the CBI last week. The issue has surfaced at a time when a special CBI court is all set to pronounce its judgement on Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad Yadav in the infamous Rs 950-crore fodder scam on Monday.

[​IMG]

As per Sinha's "confession" regarding the payment allegedly made to Nitish Kumar, "In October or November 1994, I had gone to Delhi and stayed at 5/14 Sarvapriya Vihar. During this visit, Umesh Singh contacted me personally and told me that Nitishji wants money for expenses in the coming general assembly elections in March 1995... The demand was about Rs 1 crore... I returned to Ranchi and discussed the issue with members of the committee ... who felt that Samata Party, may emerge as a strong political force in Bihar during the election in 1995. Since Nitish Kumar was emerging as strong leader in Samata Party, the committee decided to pay Rs 1 crore to him."

The "committee" was a group of scamsters who would decide how to distribute the fodder money.

Sinha further alleged, "After discussion, I directed Vijay Kumar Mallik to pay Rs 1 crore to Umesh Singh for Nitish Kumar. It was some time in November or December 1994 that Vijay Mallik paid Rs 1 crore to Umesh Singh...While I was at Delhi, during my trip, Nitish Kumar confirmed telephonically that Umesh Singh came and met him. Nitish Kumar thanked me for the monetary help extended to him... By this time, I was also scheduled to go to Australia for my treatment. Nitish Kumar conveyed his good wishes for my early and speedy recovery... Umesh Singh confirmed to me that he had handed over Rs 1 crore given to him by Mallik... Subsequently Vijay Mallik also confirmed to me that he paid Rs 1 crore to Umesh Singh."

[​IMG]

As for Shivanand Tiwari, the statement alleges: "He (Tiwari) demanded money through Umesh Singh. He had communicated that in case the payment is not made to him, he will file writ in the High Court against the working of AHD (Animal Husbandry Department)... In November 94, I was at Delhi ... Umesh Singh came to 5/14 Sarva Priya Vihar and took me to Shivanand Tiwari, who was staying in Hotel White House, Karol Bagh... Tiwari demanded Rs 50 lakh... He told me to give the money to Umesh Singh at Patna... Tripurari Mohan Prasad was asked to pay to Umesh Singh up to Rs 40 lakh to be paid to Shivanand Tiwari... Subsequently Tripurari confirmed that he had paid about Rs 30-35 lakh to Umesh Singh to pay the same to Shivanand Tiwari."

In a separate "confession", made before Ashesh Kumar, Inspector CBI Patna, Umesh Singh alleged in the beginning of 1996, "Shiwanand Tiwary of Samata Party and Saryu Rai of BJP in consultation with other opposition leaders were trying to go to High Court and Supreme Court making a bid to get some CBI inquiry instituted in the AHD scam. Sri SB Sinha talked to me on telephone from Delhi and called me there to help him to manage the above opposition leaders, who were bent upon highlighting the AHD scam... I was made to stay in Marine Hotel, Connaught Place..." Shivanand Tiwari and S.B. Sinha allegedly visited the hotel. "Despite request of SB Sinha for agreeing to a judicial probe... for which Ashwini Kumar of BJP, Jagannath Mishra of Congress and CM Laloo Pd. Yadav were ready as per his version, Sri Shiwanand Tiwari did not relent... Later in the day, at the behest of SB Sinha, Vijay Mallik's brother handed over to me Rs 4 lakh in the Marine hotel itself for Shiwanand Tiwary. I returned to Patna and gave the money to Sri Tiwari at his residence."

Umesh Singh also mentioned about his visit to Tiwari's residence in 1995 along with "some staff of Tripurari Mohan Prasad", who "handed over two suitcases of currency notes to Tiwariji." "I cannot say the exact amount," alleged Umesh Singh. "When he (S.B. Sinha) returned from Australia, he visited the residence of Mrs Sudha Srivastava ... and paid three suitcases of currency notes to Lalan Singh, treasurer of Samata Party. I had accompanied SB Sinha. These funds were meant for election purpose," the statement reads.

[​IMG]

The Court of Justice R.R. Prasad observed last week that since the CBI was aware that Nitish Kumar and Shivanand Tiwari received money from an accused in the fodder scam, their names should have been included on the list of accused.

Speaking to this newspaper, petitioner Mithilesh Kumar Singh alleged that the CBI did not act on the allegations levelled by S.B. Sinha. "Either they should have filed a closure report or given a clean chit to the two leaders. But they did nothing," he said.

The BJP linked Nitish's sudden closeness towards the Congress with the fear of CBI. BJP national vice president and Rajya Sabha member from Bihar C.P. Thakur said, "Nitish Kumar fears that the CBI would frame him in the fodder scam case. That's the reason why he is getting close to Congress. Congress has been using CBI fear tactics to target non-Congress parties. CBI is like a life-saving drug for the Congress. It has become a tool to manage its government, whether it is the case of Lalu Prasad, Mayawati or Mulayam Singh."

Thakur also said that Nitish Kumar should explain why he has developed a sudden softness towards the Congress in the last few months, after breaking away from the BJP. The former Union minister, however, said that law should take its own course.

Senior Bihar BJP leader and former Bihar deputy chief minister Sushil Kumar Modi told The Sunday Guardian, "We do not expect much from the CBI. The UPA government will use the CBI as a tool to compel Nitish Kumar to go for an alliance with the Congress. The government has been doing this with other leaders. Despite having enough evidence, the CBI did not act and now we do not think they will do much."

CBI did not probe fodder allegations against Bihar CM

The activism of the Courts should put caution on the politicians and others, to include the Police and CBI and other investigating agencies that the bells tolls for them too!

7. TrueSpirit

TrueSpirit Senior Member Senior Member

Just 3-7 years.

He is already in jail. Sentencing tomorrow. To be communicated to inmates via video-conferencing.

But, politically, Lalu is finished even if he gets some reprieve from a higher court.

8. pkroyal

pkroyal Regular Member

For all the sucking up and buffoonery he did to keep the Italian Waitress entertained, look what he got ??

his two penny worth !!. Yesterday's peon, later the CM, then de facto CM, MP in LS & now a dusty 8x8 prison for min 05 years ??

Cynics who believe there is no divine deliverance need to wake up & smell the coffee.

Bravo! the CBI court judge who pronounced the judgement & could not be bought.

9. nrupatunga

nrupatunga Senior Member Senior Member

As per firstpost

* RJD balmes bjp and not congress

*Lalu may end up in jail for at least three years and his term can go up to maximum seven years. In that case, both the Lok Sabha elections in 2014 and the Bihar state assembly elections in 2015, will slip out of Lalu’s hands and hurl his party down the path of near-extinction.

* Rashid Alvi, spokesperson for the Congress, expressed disappointment at the judgment. “This is not the right time to talk about alliances,” he told reporters.

* Lalu has apparently briefed the party on its future course of action. While a predictable step would be to declare Rabri Devi the RJD president, sources say that his party might take this opportunity to field Tejashwi Yadav, Lalu’s eldest son as the possible face of the party.

10. nrupatunga

[Tweet]384565061278109696[/Tweet]

11. Ray

What Laloo will miss is his Airconditioned cowshed khatal, his 72 Jersey cows and 42 calves at his 3 acres farmhouse at Dinapore.

Bovine bliss before fodder dawn

Party sources said their leader “found peace” in the midst of his 72 Jersey cows and 42 calves. When he was chief minister, Lalu Prasad kept cows at his official residence.

Now, the cowshed has been shifted to a three-acre farmhouse in Danapur, on Patna’s outskirts, and supplies milk to leading hotels and restaurants in the state capital.

Lalu Prasad arrived around 11.45am and spent nearly half an hour in the cowshed.

“Laluji is very fond of his cows. He ensured that he fed them before leaving for Ranchi. He offered fodder to five cows, whom he worships as gau-mata, and two calves and took their blessings,” a source said.

Bovine bliss before fodder dawn

Laloo offered fodder to his cows.

Now this fodder has come to haunt him.

But then, as he himself has said, in lieu he gave Bihar, Rabri!!

Quid pro quo!

12. nrupatunga

From a bjp pov, they should strike at the yadav votebank before anyone claims it for themselves.

parijataka likes this.
  13. Ray

I don't think any other party except the JD (U) can scupper up the Yadav vote bank.

Caste and religion are still a very strong affinity in India's bovine belt!

14. nrupatunga

Farewell, Lalu Prasad: End of the old school politician

15. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

We should hope the sentence given on 3rd Oct is the max possible in the case i.e. 7 years so that when he goes to appeal in higher court, which he will, it will be be reduced to 4-5 years. If he is sentenced to minimum i.e. 3 years then on appeal it may be reduced to 1 year or less !

In any case it is good news that he has not recieved a `Clean Chit` as Congress ally !

@sayareakd, @The Messiah, @sob ?

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  16. ramakrishna

ramakrishna Regular Member

so it took almost 23yrs to prove his guilt ... so when can we expect the verdict for 2g scam and so many blah blah scam which occurred during the UPA govt.

17. nrupatunga

Lalu Yadav may be down, but don't rule him out!
    Am not sure why, but i feel he may get some relief in a higher court.

18. dhananjay1

dhananjay1 Regular Member

Nitish jumps into the Congress camp and Lalu is put away for a while.

19. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Rahul Shenanigans was clearly scripted. Cong-JD(U) worked out an alliance, and decided to kick the bucket under Lalu.

parijataka and sob like this.
  20. arnabmit

arnabmit Homo Communis Indus Senior Member

The question to ask is: Which Congressi leader did Lalloo inconvenience, to not get the clean chit. Or is it only appeasement of Nitish (he did get a clean chit on this one!)?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  21. rock127

rock127 Maulana Rockullah Senior Member

So if Lallu goes to jail can we see a film "Lallu goes to jail" :taunt:

In jail he should be punished to eat animal fodder in breakfast. :rofl: