Lack of innovation capability a huge threat to India's development

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by jouni, Oct 25, 2014.

1. jouni

jouni Senior Member Senior Member

The World’s Most Innovative Countries 2014 | INSEAD Knowledge

India is ranked 76th most innovative country. Huge amount of engineers graduate but they cannot innovate. Country without own capability to produce innovations is in danger to stagnate. Should India restructure the whole school system. There is help available to achieve better results.

Among the “innovation learners”, those outperforming their peers from their respective income groups, we see spectacular progress for Russia moving up 13 places to 49 and China, moving up by 6 places to reach 29 , which makes China comparable to many high-income economies. India slipped 10 places to 76 this year.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    parijataka and Srinivas_K like this.
  3. Srinivas_K

Srinivas_K Senior Member Senior Member

India is attracting R&D centers all over the world and also spending money in Science and education :thumb:

4. jouni

It is great, because China surely is taking panda leaps in that respect. Robots will be the uninnovative ones in the future.

Srinivas_K likes this.
  5. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

India seriously lacks innovation. Of that there is no doubt. I do however do not buy that it slipped 10 positions (whatever that means). From what I am seeing, there have been more innovations in recent years. How does one quantify innovation?

roma likes this.
  6. Ashutosh Lokhande

Ashutosh Lokhande Senior Member Senior Member

just a guess, its the number of patents you file.

parijataka and pmaitra like this.
  7. pmaitra

A lot of patents in the US, especially in the pharma sector, are based on minor modifications of existing drugs. The aim is not innovation per se, but to cloak something with the excuse of innovation to make profits. The Patent system is subject to abuse.

8. jouni

Five input pillars capture elements of the national economy that enable innovative activities: (1) Institutions, (2) Human capital and research, (3) Infrastructure, (4) Market sophistication, and (5) Business sophistication. Two output pillars capture actual evidence of innovation outputs: (6) Knowledge and technology outputs and (7) Creative outputs.

parijataka, Neo and Ashutosh Lokhande like this.
  9. ninja85

ninja85 Regular Member

let guess finland is either number one or in top three.:rofl::laugh::lol:

jouni likes this.
  10. jus

jus Senior Member Senior Member

Common u see the PATERN RICH COUNTRIES ARE MORE INNOVATIVE, they have Money&high standard of edu to invest&research and IMPORT HUMAN MINDS from poor countries like china&India..

WTF threat to India........ India is a poor country POOR only think about food&shelter and u want innovation to compete with FIRST WORLD COUNTRIES :rofl:

Wait for another 4or 5+ yrs u will see some PROGRESS

Peter likes this.
  11. Peter

Peter Senior Member Senior Member

A bitter truth which I have to accept.

12. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

Switzerland is at No #1 spot. :jaw:

13. Srinivas_K

Srinivas_K Senior Member Senior Member

Not correct !!

Science, Research and Development will help a lot to eradicate poverty.

Today ISRO is helping people a lot in Natural disasters, distant education, communications and fisheries.

Indian R&D is always there But as the OP quoted India needs to encourage entrepreneurs who are establishing firms which work on innovative fields.

Public - Private partnership is also good.

14. jouni

Public -private partnership is the key to success. You guys are falling permanently behind China in innovations, if you do not make it one of your priorities. First China got all the manufacturing of the world, then they copied high tech, next they start to innovate on their own.

Tekes

Ashutosh Lokhande and Srinivas_K like this.
  15. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

Agreed India's innovation is not in end user physical products, As of today our skill is more process oriented. Our strength is around designing systems and processes for companies which make the end user products. This may change and i believe work is in progress. i am seeing the kind of homework given to school kids now a days is more creative and innovative than what we used to do when we were kids.This kind of change takes atleast a generation to take affect.

i don't think lack of innovation is threat to development per say, in today's age we need not fund the whole R&D program we can just buy the end result of the R&D project. which is what we are doing right now. It may be a bit costly in the start but we are good at making costly things cheap and with quality.

Let us not forget india's economic reforms started just 20 years back, inspite of having 6-7 years of economic slowdown. India's GDP mid 90's was less than half a billion.

If Modi's "Make in india" works out we might see results sooner than expect. Hopefully infrastructure around innovation and creative thinking is also created along with "Make in india" program.

Necessity is the mother of invention.

16. jouni

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    pmaitra likes this.
  17. pmaitra

Let's talk about the most successful, the safest, and presently the only passenger carrying spacecraft. I am sure that was also copied, according to you?

With puerile comments like that, you are belying your true agenda.

Keep posting. It does have an entertainment quotient to it.

Edit: I missed that condition - being in the state of war. I give you that. I also gave you a like so as not to discourage you.

18. roma

roma NRI in Europe Senior Member

tend to agree - India has to improve, and a great deal too but like the university rankings , 76 or whatever is an arbitrary number based on
    some small parameters which technically is correct but doesn't real give the accurate picture.

in fact there is another thread started by member srinivas ( i think) that gives reference article of USA inviting
    India to participate in joint research for nex-gen weapons ........ USA didnt ask those further up the list ...so that s the value of the ranking slightly demolished

spending on r&d is also probably infinitesimally tiny compared to the others further up the list ...... we need proper
    governmental support to start the ball rolling and then corporations can follow -on to rectify that

.....now that's exactly what the italian lady would have made the silent sardar-ji say to the nation , ... in a pathetically weak tone of voice ....i can just Imagine hearing it .....:taunt:

..... no we musn't accept it, ...... we must do something NOW , and later all we can - to change it .! :taunt1:

19. jus

jus Senior Member Senior Member

Can u find any AFRICAN COUNTRY IN TOP 70 :rofl: U CAN only found ALL E.U &Skorea,china in THESE TYPE OF MEASUREMENTS

AFRICANS are also HUMANS.

Any way i clearly said Europeans have time,later east asians,we have time after few years then AFRICANS.It is Pattern why show some FAKE EUPHORIC STORIES,U accept or not that is TRUTH

They are Rich follows innovation,qty edu,standard of life etc all interrelated
    :namaste:

20. CrYsIs

CrYsIs Regular Member

The picture is not so rosy my friend.One can say India has close to no innovation.After all this is a country that cannot even manufacture an LCD panel of a black and white cell phone.It starts in classrooms where children are forced to rote memorize instead of understanding the concept.So by the time a child completes his schooling,he becomes a total answering machine without the ability of thinking and analyzing.

I have met many foreigners in IT sector who constantly complain about Indian people's lack of innovative approach in solving many problems.

Secondly,No doubt ISRO's achievement is India's pride but none of their technology is indigenous or very innovative.The rockets PSLV and GSLV are grossly outdated bulky rockets with the later being a flawed rocket which carries the dead weight of a burned out stage.On the top of that India has yet to master technologies that the US mastered in the 50's.

The research being carried out at IIT's is no earth shattering either.This is because of a very limited funding and government support.The total grant received by the 7 IIT's stands at something around 100 crores,where as a single IVY LEAGUE college receives close to 15-20 billion $ and there are 7 or 8 of them.

The fact that India has won no noble prize in science in the past 50 years is a testament to India's lack of innovation.

So friend we have a very long distance to cover.

jouni and pmaitra like this.
  21. pmaitra

It is true.

We cannot deny the amount of progress we are yet to make in the field of innovation. The sooner we acknowledge this problem, the sooner we can get down to resolving it.

We have made progress, no doubt, but we have a lot to do.

CrYsIs likes this.