Lack of freedom of the press in India, a threat to the democracy?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by jouni, Sep 28, 2014.

1. jouni

jouni Senior Member Senior Member

Finland has the most free media in the world. India is at number 140, followed by Oman and Congo. How can that be in a Democratic country? In this forum I have not witnessed much censorship, is that an anomality? Or is restricting internet next in the list?

@pmaitra, @Razor, @Ray, @happy, & others, would appreciate your comments. ( also understand if you cannot comment ).

Press Freedom Index 2013 - Reporters Without Borders

[​IMG]

( In the map you can clearly see the influence of German culture in Scandinavia. Also India seems to be surrounded by "dark powers" ).

Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2015
  3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Finland is quite isolated in the geopolitical and geostrategic environment till now.

The people are laid back.

Therefore, there is nothing earth shaking to jostle issues domestically or internationally.

That helps.

Even you food is quite laid back.

Traditionally because of the harsh climate meant that fresh fruit and vegetables were largely unavailable for nine months of the year, leading to a heavy reliance on staple tubers (initially turnip, later potato), dark rye bread and fermented dairy products, occasionally enlivened with preserved fish and meat.

And since the majority of Finnish women entered the workforce, and most of the dishes requiring long preparation time were reserved for holidays.

So, Finns are real cool and laid back.

Nothing earth shaking about them or their way of life.

Could you enumerate the parameters that decided Media freedom?

In India, we can say and do what we like and so does the media.

Try TimesNow and Arnab Goswami's Prime Time News. It is a horror for all politicians and political parties.

He has still not been locked up.

Does that not show how free our media is?

To be fair the number of scams exposed by the media that toppled the Govt and also the arrest of a Chief Minister yesterday, does indicate law prevails in India and the media is live and kicking to expose the issues.

What does the DFI show?

Govt control and incarceration by the Govt?

Even our Moderation here is without fear or favour.

But then, if western vested interest feel otherwise, so be it.

Do we care?

No.

4. Ray

Germans are the most intolerant of races.

They still exhibit nascent racial superiority.

Scandinavia was always influenced by Germany.

Modern history will cloak the affinity of Scandinavia with Germany to suit the flavour of the time, but Scandinavia was always pro Germany. The capitulation will be cloaked as having been forced and no options.

Quisling comes to mind.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  5. Dhairya Yadav

Dhairya Yadav Regular Member

during election times, indian media is partially free, but i dont think during normal days, freedom of press is affected.

6. rusellviper89

rusellviper89 Regular Member

Media is nothing but a form of mob control, if you visit dfi you will find a dedicated thread exposing the lies of India Media.
    Most of the media is now corporate controlled, for example in US .
    Graphic: How Just 6 Corps Own 90% of The Media
    Media is for herding sheep's like you, into believing a certain narrative which will not be of the interest of general public.

Ever heard of the term establishment,It includes leading politicians, senior civil servants, the most important FINANCIERS and industrialists, governors of the BBC, and the Royal Court. The term was coined by the British journalist Henry Fairlie, who in September 1955 in the London magazine The Spectator defined that network of prominent, well-connected people as "the Establishment", explaining: "By the 'Establishment', I do not only mean the centres of official power—though they are certainly part of it—but rather the whole matrix of official and social relations within which power is exercised”.

The link for thread for Indian Media watch
    http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/politics-society/32479-indian-media-watch.html

7. jouni

Yes, Scandinavia and Finland in particular has always looked for Germany to counter the expansionism and imperial policies of Russia. Regarding Finnish food compared to Indian; it is like comparing harmonica to symphony orchestral. Few ingredients, but when well made quite delicious.

8. Twinblade

Twinblade Senior Member Senior Member

Because the ranking is rather inaccurate. The size of Indian media is mind boggling. Controlled ? No. Bought ? Yes.

parijataka, happy and WMD like this.
  9. Ray

I am quite sure it will be delicious.

What I meant is that it is hassle free to prepare and cook and straight forward.

Though I wonder if I would be able to eat a reindeer.

10. anupamsurey

anupamsurey Regular Member

well i dont know that we are living as a slave or that our media is restricted, becuase we get to see every kind of govt bashings and debates in our tv shows, the only time i saw any sensorship in India was the time when the govt REQUESTED the media to not show the real time footage of 26/11 (that was with security reasons). i dont now how these surveys are conducted or what is the motive behind them but our media houses (both print and digital) are as free as i m to express their opinion.

11. Meriv90

Meriv90 Regular Member

India - Reporters Without Borders

12. jouni

So India is not planning to limit foreign ownership in media to 20% like Russia ( RU and India are quite close in the study )

13. Dhairya Yadav

you are incorrect. All those news channels are actually bribed by bigshot political parties for election campaign, and big shot companies. Recently , reliance took over CNN IBN as they were very active in bashing Ambani and company. Our Indian media's rating was downgraded by international media watchguard (forgot the correct name) from free to partially free, and cited the reason as excessive interference by political parties in showing the content in newspapers and news channels.

14. Hari Sud

Hari Sud Senior Member Senior Member

Complete bullshit, this analysis.

This Press Freedom Index data was probably gathered by an unqualified NGO in India on standards prescribed by European masters, who wish to put themselves ahead of the game in every respect.

Indian press is not free but reactionary, spoiled and lacks depth. That is because press barons look for the easiest way to gather news. They focus on murder, rape, corruption, political intrigue and reporting mostly unsubstated news.

Truthfully it sells. People are glued to the TV sets and news papers to read that. It gives an impression that India is full of murder, rape and corruption. Very rarely any other type of news makes headlines. It does not sell newspaper copies or attract hordes of people to TV sets. Government in unable to control it, although a vast majority is sick of that news but have no choice but to watch it as that is the only one broadcast by the infinite number of TV channels or newspaper outlets. That is happening because media is free.

The Press Freedom Index data p

15. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

news channels have an fdi limit of 26%. Entertainment channels can be upto 100%.

16. jouni

Really, there you go. You do not find it disturbing? For example second biggest news media house in Finland is owned by Swedish/ Danish company.

Meriv90 likes this.
  17. Neil

Neil Senior Member Senior Member

You are kidding right? RU and India have almost nothing in common accept military equipment and certainly not how we view our freedom. Hell RU style censorship would have brought a civil war on the streets of India.

Dont no on what parameters is India so below on the list.

jouni likes this.
  18. Neil

Neil Senior Member Senior Member

no offence bro... but we dont need lectures.

and how come freedom of media is suddenly judged by how many channels are controlled by foreign media? we have insane number of private media houses and there is hardly any space left for foreign ones.

happy, Razor and AVERAGE INDIAN like this.
  19. jouni

I am basically interested in this because this week Russia accepted the law, which will push out of Russia one of the last independent newspaper The Moscow Times. Owned by finnish company, I was surprised that India had that limitation too.

20. Dhairya Yadav

i know man. You are absolutely correct. This is the reason that I watch CNN, BBC more than other Indians. The only other Indian Channel that I find somewhat better than others is headlines today.

21. jouni

Is there a BBC equivalent in India? In Finland YLE is funded by tax payers and it's pretty good. Not BBC level obviously for budgetary reasons.