Labour unrest may drive Maruti to Gujarat

pankaj nema

Country flag
This agitation is being financed by Maruti's rivals in the same way as the Singur agitation
was financed by Tata 's rivals

Maruti has decided to start a new 2 million car capacity plant in Gujarat

Now what they do with this Haryana plant remains to be seen

amitkriit

There is nothing in fair in sending back 'fair share' money to the society. It is called extortion. Society is an intangible entity while the individual is not. You sound extremely commie while making a 200 cr turnover. It is not for you or anyone to decide to what extend I should love back the society. You have the right to tax me in a fair way, and thats it. If you cant provide me what I need to run an efficient business, then you have no business asking for my money. A person sitting in an IT business have absolutely no clue the sheer torture people in the 'manufacturing' goes through. You have not endured Unioons, you have no clue.
Computer Software is an intangible entity, but still the software industry is one of the largest employers in India and earns billions of dollars in exports. A toilet cleaner in USA is richer than a toilet cleaner in India, just because he was born in USA. Nobody must be allowed to exploit other just because he can.

Small Companies need to be protected from large corporates, thats why we have got anti-monopoly laws. Workers have the right to protect their interest, like their employers. Laws can be misused/abused, but they exist for a good reason.

pankaj nema

Country flag
While all the fair and genuine demands of the labourers must be addressed
the labour too must remember that India's growing population , inflation and the increasing automation
in all manufacturing industries will keep these unions " grounded "

The only other option is unemployment

There is no way that militant trade unionism of the 70 s can ever return

Bengal and Kerala have proved that ultimately unrealistic and indisciplined trade unions
destroy all possibilities of investment in that state

amitkriit

This agitation is being financed by Maruti's rivals in the same way as the Singur agitation
was financed by Tata 's rivals

Maruti has decided to start a new 2 million car capacity plant in Gujarat

Now what they do with this Haryana plant remains to be seen
This is rumored that TATA convinced the Jharkhand Government to kick out Mittal, because TATA considered Mittal Steel a rival. Did TATA care about the economy or employment at that point?

What we need is rule of law and enforcement of fair practice on all sides.

amitkriit

While all the fair and genuine demands of the labourers must be addressed
the labour too must remember that India's growing population , inflation and the increasing automation
in all manufacturing industries will keep these unions " grounded "

The only other option is unemployment

There is no way that militant trade unionism of the 70 s can ever return

Bengal and Kerala have proved that ultimately unrealistic and indisciplined trade unions
destroy all possibilities of investment in that state
This works both ways, when Industrialists could, they forced poor tribal out of their homes so that they could mine certain resource-rich regions. They made people work at wages lower than the "Minimum Wage". Similarly when Unions can, they blackmail the industries. Problem in India is that we don't have proper law-enforcement "Jiski laathi uski Bhains"

Adux

Country flag
Computer Software is an intangible entity, but still the software industry is one of the largest employers in India and earns billions of dollars in exports. A toilet cleaner in USA is richer than a toilet cleaner in India, just because he was born in USA. Nobody must be allowed to exploit other just because he can.
Sorry, Let me give you a reality check, India is not the USA, no Indian labor is going to get anything that others might offer in another country. It is simply not the same. I would give an arm and a leg for American or Japanese labor, for you get your money's worth. If you think you are being exploited for your god given skills , then dont work with them, you have absloutely no right to stop their factories or damage their property. Dont like it, Dont work there.

Small Companies need to be protected from large corporates, thats why we have got anti-monopoly laws. Workers have the right to protect their interest, like their employers. Laws can be misused/abused, but they exist for a good reason.
Protect yourself by all means, but you cannot extort or dictate. It is as simple as that. You dont own the factory, property or the IP. You are an employee and thats it.

Adux

Country flag
This works both ways, when Industrialists could, they forced poor tribal out of their homes so that they could mine certain resource-rich regions. They made people work at wages lower than the "Minimum Wage". Similarly when Unions can, they blackmail the industries. Problem in India is that we don't have proper law-enforcement "Jiski laathi uski Bhains"
It is brilliant to talk about all these when you are getting easy turnover's in IT, while to power your computers and your air conditioners, you need those very 'dirty' industrialist to mine up coal for the powerplant. So where did your talk about societies and giving back a fair share, when it came to the tribals, oh wait, they are poor, so they have a different standard. Shouldnt the tribal sacrifice their land for fair compensation, for coal mining, since it is important ingredient for the society at large?

pankaj nema

Country flag
Mittal's investment plans went haywire because of global economic uncertainity and
the fact that a giant 12 million tonne steel plants has its own set of environmental , rehabilitation and logistical
problems as we are seeing in POSCO

Tisco has its own expansion plans . And after Tisco has acquired Corus ; Tisco is in no shape
to have a greenfield mega steel plant in India for some time at least because of existing debt

CORUS , Singur , and Poor response to Nano have STRETCHED Tata's finances

While today many small steel manufacturers have set up their units in Jharkhand ,
and Karnataka . Small steel units are quickly up and running and are hence in an advantageous position
without the negative limelight as that has happened in case of POSCO

amitkriit

Sorry, Let me give you a reality check, India is not the USA, no Indian labor is going to get anything that others might offer in another country. It is simply not the same. I would give an arm and a leg for American or Japanese labor, for you get your money's worth. If you think you are being exploited for your god given skills , then dont work with them, you have absloutely no right to stop their factories or damage their property. Dont like it, Dont work there.

Protect yourself by all means, but you cannot extort or dictate. It is as simple as that. You dont own the factory, property or the IP. You are an employee and thats it.
1. Dont like it, Dont work there: Doesn't work in real life. A person doesn't become a poor laborer by choice.
2. but you cannot extort or dictate: That's subjective, and only the laws of the land can decide who is the criminal and who is the victim.

Workers are agitating because they were not allowed to form a Union, that's how the whole thing started. Management is saying that we will lose money but we will not negotiate.

Adux

Country flag
1. Dont like it, Dont work there: Doesn't work in real life. A person doesn't become a poor laborer by choice.
2. but you cannot extort or dictate: That's subjective, and only the laws of the land can decide who is the criminal and who is the victim.

Workers are agitating because they were not allowed to form a Union, that's how the whole thing started. Management is saying that we will lose money but we will not negotiate.
1. Not an issue, MNC's nor any investment will come to India, or even if they do will go to Gujarat. Lets all roll in the mud of poverty together. Well tough luck he is not a laborer by choice, there are several people in the world who would agree to be just that.
2. There is nothing subjective about it, its not your investment, the day the laborer puts in his money as investment and become's shareholder. I would like to see his attitude.
3. You have no business making an Union. Their factory, their rules.

As I said, easy for you to sit in 200 cr turnover company and talk about Union formation in the manufacturing side. When the said the government and country has helped you by giving you a very fair conducive environment to get rich quick, No Unions, tax free, subsidies, etc etc. You have absolutely no right to complain about companies who dont get any of your benefits, and yet strive to be successful.

pankaj nema

Country flag
It is brilliant to talk about all these when you are getting easy turnover's in IT, while to power your computers and your air conditioners, you need those very 'dirty' industrialist to mine up coal for the powerplant. So where did your talk about societies and giving back a fair share, when it came to the tribals, oh wait, they are poor, so they have a different standard. Shouldnt the tribal sacrifice their land for fair compensation, for coal mining, since it is important ingredient for the society at large?
The entire Economy is inter connected

IT and other EXPORT sectors are the MOST IMPORTANT

They will always get preferential and favorable treatment

WHy because India NEEDS Dollars to Pay for the 120 Billion Oil IMPORT Annual Bill

This also includes Kerosene and LPG isnt it ?

Similarly the well earning " service sector " people spend money and propel your domestic economy
through consumption which gives EMPLOYMENT to Miners and farmers and labourers

Trickle down effect does work whether communists like it or not

Of course government has to supplement the earnings of the poor through various welfare measures
WHICH are again financed by the taxes which are paid by the upper middle and rich classes

Either way the poor need the rich TO SURVIVE

parijataka

Country flag
Maruti Suzuki might view it as from frying pan to fire with WB's current work culture.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles