L&T ties up with Samsung Techwin for artillery gun programme

KS

Bye bye DFI
http://www.myiris.com/newsCentre/storyShow.php?fileR=20120329120442715&dir=2012/03/29

Larsen & Toubro (L&T) and Samsung Techwin Co. (STW) of S Korea announced that they would be cooperating in the Indian Army`s Tracked Self Propelled Artillery Programme.

The announcement was made at DEFEXPO 2012- the exposition of defence equipment and systems in Delhi. A proposal to develop the 155mm/52 calibretracked, self propelledartillery, with L&T as the lead partner,had been submitted last year to the Ministry of Defence.

``L&T and Samsung Techwin have joined together to offer a state-of-the-art Self Propelled Tracked Howitzer system meeting the aspirations of the Indian Army for this strategically important program. This cooperation would lead to new avenues in Indian and global defense markets for both the partners working together,`` said M V Kotwal, Member of the Board, L&T and President, Heavy Engineering.

The agreement reflects the success of both companies in their respective areas of proficiency. L&T has had a series of successes as an innovator and systems integrator for key systems & technologies, and has indigenously developed and supplied complete systems for the Indian defence and aerospace sectors. Samsung Techwinis the OEM for the Korean ``K9 Thunder`` Self Propelled Howitzer, which is the largest and most successful of the155mm / 52 Calibre Self Propelled Artillery Systems in the world today. A large number of K9 systems have been produced and are in service in S Korea and other countries around the world. Together with the K10 Ammunition Re-supply Vehicle, the system is recognized for its functionality and unrivaled performance.

Larsen & Toubro, as the lead partner, will indigenously produce the self-propelled howitzer, thereby contributing to self-reliance in the defence sector. As part of the co-operation agreement between the two companies, STW will provide key technologies to L&T for localization of the K9 Thunder. During the production phase of the Indian tracked artillery program, the joint offering would have over 50% indigenous content including components like fire control system, communication system, NBC & AC, APU, life support system, etc which have already been used in India.

This phase will also include significant localization of hull /turret structure and major subsystems. L&T also plans to set up the integration and testing facility for roll out of these guns from its world-class, dedicated defense equipment facility in Talegaon, near Pune.

The `K9 Thunder` is on display at the L&T stall in the Defexpo, with L&T-STW jointly announcing its readiness to field the system for Indian Army’s User Evaluation trials which are expected to commence shortly.

agentperry

ofb, drdo, kalyani and now l&t, suddenly such a big puch in indigenous artillery program.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Well that probably puts paid to all chances of the K9 thunder gun being used in the BHIM unit!

Mr.Ryu

Country flag
Why cant they choose Indian IT firm are we not capable ?? If we can send rocket to moon then i guess we can at least they must do it in their Indian office.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
well they had k9 and k10 since 2008, to be very frank it is good and accurate gun we will get complete tot for this but ia is not interested. God knows why, i tld him that i would love to see at least 200 of these, person said i know this and you know this but we dont know why ia knows this. Only question i ask why they have 5 men crew, when every thing is full auto?

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
well they had k9 and k10 since 2008, to be very frank it is good and accurate gun we will get complete tot for this but ia is not interested. God knows why, i tld him that i would love to see at least 200 of these, person said i know this and you know this but we dont know why ia knows this. Only question i ask why they have 5 men crew, when every thing is full auto?
In a war situation there are many instances where due to various things the electronics can go Kaput, it is always better to have a trained gun crew who knows the gun well to run it in manual mode at all times.

sportznut

You kids reallly need to get out more and get some physical excercise instead of worryimg about things you have no control over.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Well that probably puts paid to all chances of the K9 thunder gun being used in the BHIM unit!
I was thinking, Denel arty section is not ban so why denel cannot work on Bhim with DRDO but with TATA ?

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I was thinking, Denel arty section is not ban so why denel cannot work on Bhim with DRDO but with TATA ?
DENEL is completely banned in India, arty ,armor and small arms and ammo all divisions are under the Ban, TATA is working as an independent entity with DENEL to develop the system for sale to any and all interested parties as TATA does not supply the gun per se and only supplies the platform it is free from most arms export regulations. anyhoo the TATA DENEL system is going to Indonesia for now

sportznut

And you are?
Well General,

First of all I'm a supplier to Samsung Techwin Defense. Without the key part we supply that APV or tank doesn't move. I'm also a supplier to many other defense contractors throughout the world.

I'm an avid runner, baseball player, basketball player, and golfer. I race a SS/AH '68 Barracuda in a North American drag racing series. look it up on Google.

In short I don't sit on my butt for very long unless I'm in my office. And that is not very often.

I was pulling some info together for a presentation andseeing your thread here I had a picture of a bunch of out of shape tekkies, parked in front of their monitors , whining about the militay machine.

Get out and get some excercise kids!! Don't be a spectator be a competitor.

And you are?

sportznut

Oh yeah, I forgot to add; I'm retired '95 - CDN (CAR) military. I did my 25 years and got bored so I retired.

And General, I'm dying to hear who you are and what you do.

I wise man once said;"Never take a knife to a gun fight" remember that kids!!!

trackwhack

Well General,

First of all I'm a supplier to Samsung Techwin Defense. Without the key part we supply that APV or tank doesn't move. I'm also a supplier to many other defense contractors throughout the world.

I'm an avid runner, baseball player, basketball player, and golfer. I race a SS/AH '68 Barracuda in a North American drag racing series. look it up on Google.

In short I don't sit on my butt for very long unless I'm in my office. And that is not very often.

I was pulling some info together for a presentation andseeing your thread here I had a picture of a bunch of out of shape tekkies, parked in front of their monitors , whining about the militay machine.

And you are?
He retired from the Strategic Forces Command. He used to overlook the installation of nuke fuses. Some speculate that he is a RAW agent. We can all sit behind a keyboard and pretend to be Hitler.

trackwhack

Also about that barracuda, four wheels are for whimps. Get your arse on a kawa H2 two stroke and show me an 8 second quarter mile and then we will talk.

Any one can sit inside a cage and hit the pedal. my 70 year old mum races cars for fun.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Oh yeah, I forgot to add; I'm retired '95 - CDN (CAR) military. I did my 25 years and got bored so I retired.

You kids reallly need to get out more and get some physical excercise instead of worryimg about things you have no control over.
Sportznut as your name is, this is a forum on Internet, People get here to debate on Defense though we have here space for sport in member section..

About being in Ex - Military, Provide your service number in PM..

Any off-topic post from you will be deleted, contact through PM..

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Well General,

And you are?
This is a discussion forum, People log in here to have "discussions". What part of the phrase "discussion forum" do you not understand?

I don't know how much of the you've typed about yourself is true - you might be a teenager , for all we know. And anyway, irrespective of whether the stuff you have typed is true or not, you are certainly a prize ***hole. That needs no introduction or explanation.

Last edited:

sportznut

This is a discussion forum, People log in here to have "discussions". What part of the phrase "discussion forum" do you not understand?

I don't know how much of the you've typed about yourself is true - you might be a teenager , for all we know. And anyway, irrespective of whether the stuff you have typed is true or not, you are certainly a prize ***hole. That needs no introduction or explanation.

Hello "Colonel"

I'm a vet and proud of it. What have you done for your military?

And *** hole? I've been called a lot worse, tuff guy.(LOL)

I work in the defense industry now. And if I sound gruff to you pussies that's the nature of the industry. If you get hurt feelings too bad.

I came on here to; (a) find out more intel on Samsung Techwin Defense for a presentation I'm doing to BAE Systems in Aiken SC next week and (b) find out more about you kids and your war games discussions. And from what I've observed you are all a bunch of wanna-be internet warriors.

I can see I'm wasting my valuable time here. You are not discussing anything, you are all whining and sniveling.

And for heaven sake get out and get some excercise. You guys must be getting soft by now with all these huge post counts you keep running up.

C'ya kids, I'm outta here!!!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles