Kolkata's AMRI hospital turns fire trap: 88 dead, owners arrested

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Galaxy, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Galaxy

Galaxy Elite Member Elite Member

Kolkata's AMRI hospital turns fire trap, 20 killed

Press Trust Of India, Kolkata, December 09, 2011

At least 20 patients were feared to have suffocated to death after a devastating fire swept through a seven storied annexe building of AMRI hospital at Dhakuria in Kolkata on Friday. "Twenty patients are feared to have suffocated to death in the fire at the AMRI Hospital," West Bengal urban development minister Firhad Hakim said.
    Some bodies were found in departments that firemen were able to access, he said.

"Let's complete the rescue first. We would provide casualties later," said fire services minister Javed Khan.

Initial reports had said that 40 patients were trapped inside the building, but Hakim said he was unable to give the exact figure now as none of the hospital authorities could be contacted.

The fire which was suspected to have originated in the electrical department in the basement of the centrally air-conditioned building swiftly spread, with the third floor and above being affected the most, fire brigade sources said.

The fire brigade despatched 25 fire engines, which took time to reach the smoke-engulfed building because of narrow approach roads, Hakim said.

Firemen using ladders smashed window panes in the facade to rescue patients trapped inside the ICU, ICCU, ITU and Critical Care units.

Fire Services Minister Javed Khan said the fire spread because of stocks of highly combustible material and it was still not under control.

The hospital also did not have proper fire-fighting equipment, he said.

Fire brigade sources said that firemen were trying to locate oxygen cylinders stocked on the floors, as the fire could make them explode.

Thick smoke was hindering the operations, they said.

Commissioner of Kolkata Police R K Pachnanda too rushed to the spot and panicked families of patients thronged the premises. Personnel of the Disaster Management Group reached the scene and were assisting in the operations.

20 feared dead as fire engulfs AMRI hospital in Kolkata - Hindustan Times

3. Galaxy

Unofficial toll at AMRI is 50. :frusty: :(

4. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

[​IMG]

Rest In Peace to all..

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  5. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

Very sad. I have been seeing a recent spate of fires in buildings and it seems there are no measures in place to contain the fire in the initial stages itself.
    RIP to the dead.

6. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

Things keep on happening....then announcemnet of compensation....political mud throwing.....then everything normal till the next incident. No action to prevent such incidents....Human life is so cheap here....

7. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

CM confirmed death of 40 till now...it can be many more... it was a private hospital meant for affluent families, charges were very high. But so poor facilities unacceptable. Hope they will strict measure for the guilty people. There are many such 'Jatugriha' in Kolkata, whole Burrabazar itself is one. God knows when they will awake from sleep...

Mamata Banerjee did a lot of politics on such incidents....now she is at the recieving end.

8. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Actually many parts of Kolkata are waiting to fall apart or go up in flames. Have you seen the electrical wirings in the building on MG Road all the way from Sealdah to College Street? Similar scenario in much of North Calcutta. I wish much of those buildings collapsed or burnt down, with no human losses of course. At least then someone will think of rebuilding those parts of the city.

Hasn't the drama queen blamed CPI(M) already for this?

Kunal Biswas likes this.
  9. KS

KS Bye bye DFI Veteran Member

R.I.P.

Sad to see one of the most prosperous areas in undivided India becoming progressively derelict. :sad:

10. Galaxy

Value for Human Life in India = 0

R.I.P. to the dead.

11. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

Now 60 DEAD. RIP to deads. kollkota has one of the worst infrastructure in India.

Thanks to didi and dida.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Galaxy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  13. Galaxy

AMRI hospital has claimed that over 70 percent of its patients have been rescued from the fire that broke out at its premises early morning, and have assured families that all treatment will be free.

[​IMG]

AMRI hospital has admitted that it was unprepared and have said that they do not have a helpline set up for the families of patients who may have been injured or killed.
    [​IMG]

The fire has trapped many elderly residents in the smoke-filled building, an official said
    [​IMG]

W.G.Ewald likes this.
  14. Galaxy

The fire swept through a multistory nursing home, AMRI hospital
    [​IMG]

Rescue officials climb on ladders to enter into rooms.
    [​IMG]

Fire officials rescue a patient from the window.
    [​IMG]

15. Galaxy

16. Blackwater

Joke of the day in this tragedy

Didi has called for inquiry and the report will come after 20 yrs.. so be patient and wait....:scared1::scared1::scared1::scared1:

According to news sources ,this is the 2nd fire in 3 yrs in AMRI,,Jai ho

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2011
  17. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

As per news, the registration of AMRI hospital is cancelled and a FIR is lodged against the Hospital authorities.

I hope this situation will wake up bureaucrats to not indulge in corruption when it comes to safety measures. Hope there will be enforcement of safety measures not only in hospitals but in all large buildings where the escape routes are few.

18. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Over 70 Killed In Kolkata Hospital Fire, 'Owners Missing'

At least 70 patients suffocated to death when a massive fire broke out in a centrally-airconditioned seven-storey private hospital in the metropolis today. Police and hospital sources said 70 people had died in the fire at the private 190-bed AMRI Hospital at Dhakuria in the southern fringes.
    Earlier, West Bengal chief minister Mamata Banerjee said 41 of the bodies had been brought to the state-run SSKM Hospital in South Kolkata.

"Twenty other bodies are still there in an upper floor of the AMRI hospital," she said.

Of the bodies taken to SSKM, autopsies have been completed on 36. "Twelve have been identified," she said.

The chief minister said the colour photos of the faces of the unidentified victims will be displayed outside the SSKM morgue.

"After identification, we will send the bodies in hearses to their homes."

On the basis of a first information report (FIR) lodged by the fire brigade, police had started a criminal case against the hospital management. "They will be arrested. We will take strict action against the hospital," she said.

However, sources said that the top management of the hospital has already gone underground.

Banerjee also promised Rs.3 lakh if family members of the victims, who are not well-off, made an appeal.

"If anybody appeals for a government job. We will also try to help them out."

This is the worst incident of fire in the history of Bengal.

The hospital authorities have issued a press statement saying that they would pay Rs 2 lakh to the family of the deceased.

Many more are believed to be trapped in the building, even as firemen, who many complained had reached the spot only after two hours, brought out the dead and injured using ropes and ladders.

The fire broke out around 3.30am in the basement of the hospital annexe. Co-founded by the Emami & Shrachi Groups along with the West Bengal government in 1996, the hospital is located in the congested Dhakuria locality.

"The victims mostly got suffocated from the fumes. Many of them were in a serious condition in the ICU," West Bengal urban development minister Firhad Hakim said, adding that some firemen fell unconscious due to the fumes.

"The father of one of my friends was admitted in one of the upper floors. When he heard I am at the spot he called up his son and told him to ask me to rescue him. I could not do anything. I saw his burnt body," said the minister who reached the spot early.

There are around 200 beds in the affected block.

"At the time of the fire, there were 160 patients, including around 40-50, in the ICU (Intensive Care Unit). Eighty percent have been rescued," a hospital spokesman said.

Fire services minister Javed Khan, who is supervising the rescue operations, said: "Some more people are believed to have been trapped. We have already rescued over 50 people."

An officer manning the city police control room said the fire spread fast and engulfed four floors of the building.

"The fire is under control but yet to be doused completely. My men are putting out fire in one spot only to find another area in flames. There is a lot of combustible material," said Khan.

Alleging that the firefighting was hindered due to lack of cooperation from the hospital authorities, a local resident said: "We were not allowed to enter early in the morning. Had we been allowed, more lives could have been saved."

The hospital has two other blocks in the complex where some of the patients rescued from the affected block have been transferred.

Around 25 fire engines had been rushed to the spot. The fire fighters were seen using hydraulic ladders to rescue the patients and office staff by cutting open the glasses with gas cutters.

A patient in his 50s admitted in the second floor of the affected building said he was brought down by breaking the glass windows.

"Around 4 a.m. when I had gone to the toilet I heard nurses saying that a portion of the building has caught fire. But they did not help me. Finally along with some other patients I came near a window. Then the fire brigade personnel came and rescued me by breaking open the glass windows."

"I tried to bring all my medical papers but they slipped out of my hands. I have lost them," said the sobbing patient.

Another patient said: "There was smoke. I helped many of the patients come out of their wards. But I could not bring out two seriously ill patients."

Hundreds of relatives of the patients admitted in the hospital were seen weeping and pleading with the firemen and disaster management personnel for news of their dear ones.

"We came to the hospital at the crack of dawn when we got to hear of the fire from television. We don't know what has happened to our family member," said a patient's relative.

Over 70 killed in Kolkata hospital fire, 'owners missing' - Hindustan Times

19. amitkriit

amitkriit Senior Member Senior Member

And nobody will ever be held responsible for this.

20. Blackwater

Any doubts my friends. sada se yehi reet chali a rahi ha hamere desh me:scared1::scared1::scared1:

21. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Possibly started in the kitchen, or from a discarded cigarette? A horror of a disaster; a hospital is the worst place for a fire. No smoke alarms or fire suppression system?

It seems no children died. Condolences to the families of the deceased.