Kolkata dirty? Not any more, says survey

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

Kolkata dirty? Not any more, says survey

KOLKATA: For those who turn red-faced while comparing Kolkata with other cities and criticize it for not being clean, green and well-planned, here's a reason for them not to feel so low. A national survey conducted by the ASICS actually goes on to prove that when it comes to urban planning and design, the city has topped the country!

Though it will take some time for the city to beat others hands down if you take all the parameters into consideration, the overall performance is impressive. The annual survey on India's city systems was conducted across 11 cities and astounding results, which seem to challenge accepted notions, were arrived at.

There were four parameters on which the cities in question were rated on a scale of 10 - urban planning and design (UPD), urban capacities and resources UCR), empowered and legitimate political representation (ELPR) and transparency, accountability and participation (TAP). Interestingly, Kolkata features right on top in the most important parameter, UPD, beating usual favourites Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad. It's another matter that despite topping the country, Kolkata is way behind ideal cities like New York or London. Thus, while Kolkata has scored 4.3 in UPD, Delhi has managed to score 3.9 and Mumbai as low as 2.6. The ASICS survey explains that Kolkata has come out as topper because it is the only city in the country to have a metropolitan planning committee.

The city has managed to perform pretty decently in ELPR category where it has come second, beaten only by Jaipur. While Jaipur has scored 4.5, Kolkata has missed the mantle just by a whisker by scoring 4.3. A legend by the surveyors praises the city for being one of the few cities to have an independent state election commission.

The city, however, has not been able to score well in the other two parameters. In UCR, the city has ranked ninth and managed to score only 2. Most cities have scored poorly in this category, including Delhi and Mumbai that have scored marginally better with 2.9 and 2.7.

In TAP, Kolkata has ranked somewhat better compared to the UCR and ended up at rank seven by scoring only 2.9. Though Delhi trails Kolkata with a score of 1.2, Hyderabad is the biggest scorer with 4.4. Mumbai and Bangalore are almost shoulder to shoulder at 3.3 and 3. The survey clearly says that Kolkata has a poor public disclosure law and hence this poor score when it comes to transparency.

Kolkata dirty? Not any more, says survey - The Times of India

That much for City of Joy type of stuff and Mother Teresa!

It is not a terrific city, but it cannot be outrightly slandered as is the fashion.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
    bose and mikhail like this.
  3. mikhail

mikhail Senior Member Senior Member

Sir,if i get to choose a city to live in i will definitely choose Kolkata first.it may be a bit dirty and over populated but boy the culture of Kolkata is something which i will never find in other cities,especially the "Para Culture".man i love this city more than anything else:borat:

4. arnabmit

arnabmit Homo Communis Indus Senior Member

One thing is for sure... comparatively, for the last 2 yrs, potholes are a thing of the past on major roads. Trees planted on almost every boulevard. Garbage vats eing cleared out regularly.

5. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

you mean DIDI is better than DADA

6. arnabmit

Who dada? Didi did some good atleast.

7. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Kolkata is less dirty than before, and frankly, most of the roads are really in very good condition. However, it is nowhere as clean as Bhubaneswar, Pune, or Chandigarh, and most southern cities.

8. Blackwater

Blackwater Veteran Member Veteran Member

DADA is

[​IMG]

9. arnabmit

He is DADU (grandfather)

Dadu started of very well, the face of progressive left. His own politburo screwed him and dragged him back.

10. praneetbajpaie

praneetbajpaie Tihar Jail Banned

Well as a proud Kolkatan I would say things could be much better.

11. indosinofriend

indosinofriend New Member

becoming the cleanest city in india is not that hard. one needs to clean the streets a little more

12. arnabmit

However, nothing can match the charm of Kolkata...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    bose likes this.
  13. Sumonmitra20

Sumonmitra20 Regular Member

I am also frm Kolkata.. It sure is changing pretty fast.. Which part r u frm ?

14. Sumonmitra20

Sumonmitra20 Regular Member

true indeed....

15. praneetbajpaie

praneetbajpaie Tihar Jail Banned

South Kolkata, Hindustan Park

16. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I am not one who gushes about Kolkata.

There is still much to be done.

My Commanding Officer who is a Gujarati and now in Bangalore gushed about Calcutta and would not stop.

I was surprised since he always made fun of Calcutta and Bengalis!

Of course, I gave it back to him and we were friends even more than army protocol allowed!

When the orders came that, to keep to secular credentials, units could not have a piggery, we were selling the pigs,

I wanted to buy a piglet and he refused.

He overruled my contention that while General and senior officers kept dogs as pets, and SL QMs could keep buffaloes as pets, what was wrong if as a middle ranking officer, I wanted to have a small pig running around my house as a pet!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  17. JBH22

JBH22 Senior Member Senior Member

4 post since you joined and not yet a single point made.

Get a life between what's this BS username "indo is no friend" get your anti-india crap elsewhere

18. LurkerBaba

LurkerBaba Staff Administrator

I believe his username is "Indo Sino Friend"

19. pmaitra

pmaitra Moderator Moderator

Bye bye potholes. The roads in Kolkata have become really good. It is also much cleaner than before, although trash removal has room for improvement.

Interesting video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BikTSZsJSUk

arnabmit likes this.
  20. Sabir

Sabir DFI TEAM Senior Member

honestly saying i didnt find much change in kolkata. Cleaner parts (new town, salt lake, south kolkata etc) are cleaner and ugly parts (howrah station, burra bazar, mg road etc) are still ugly. If one person enters the city from Howrah Station and another person from Dumdum air port the will give two different opinions about the city. Some steps can change the face of city-

Ban use of plastic bags , cups etc.
    Ban chewing tobacco masala, enforce ban on smoking in public
    Plan and rebuild all the bazars in the city. Make them multistoreyed with space for parking and provide space for rehabiliation of hawkers.
    provide dustbins in roads.
    Clear the pavements from encroachment.

In Kolkata people are not allowed to keep cattles. That is a relief.

arnabmit likes this.