Kolkata Class Destroyers Update

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Last i heard, India want to resume working on UAV on its own without anyone participation..

The issue may be sharing sensitive technology with India..

Cannot find the link now..
yes, sharing technology that can help a nation in building up an unmanned force for that can lead to WMD delivery is now included in specific if MTCR guidelines :truestory:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Light MALE recon /attack drones, AURA program does not include foreign involvement..

yes, sharing technology that can help a nation in building up an unmanned force for that can lead to WMD delivery is now included in specific if MTCR guidelines :truestory:

TrueSpirit

Last i heard, India want to resume working on UAV on its own without anyone participation..

The issue may be sharing sensitive technology with India..

Cannot find the link now..
Ok. Then I think it has to be the US angle, again.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Israeli navy equipping warships with Indo-Israeli Barak-8 missile system: report

The Israeli Navy has Begun outfitting its main Battleships with a new missile system amid Growing threats posed by Syria 's alleged Stockpile of advanced Anti-Ship missiles, the Yisrael Hayom Daily reported Sunday.

The Barak 8, co-developed by India and Israel, is a medium-range surface-to-air missile designed to defend against varied threats, including anti-ship missiles, manned aircraft, drones and supersonic cruise missiles.

The missile has a maximum speed of Mach 2 and a maximum operational range of 70 km. The system's radar enables operators to simultaneously engage multiple targets, and intercept an incoming enemy missile as close as 500 meters from a naval craft.

The Navy's procurement of the Barak 8, put off for years since the system's Development was largely completed in 2010, constitutes a Response to the Growing Threat posed by Russia N-produced Yakhont "Ship killing Cruise missiles" said to be in Syria's Possession, Yisrael Hayom said.

"No ships in history have been capable of controlling vast expanses like the Israel Navy will be able to with the Barak 8," Yisrael Hayom cited a source "familiar with the details" as saying.

The navy is installing the missile on its Sa'ar 5-class warships. Naval officers estimated that the system will become fully operational in the coming months, according to the report.

Yet, the military's comment on the report was not immediately available.

=======================================================

2013 is turning out to be a good year for IN!

After P8I, INS Vikramaditya & INS Arihant, now with Barak 8 ready, we can see the P-15A destroyers commissioned this year itself!

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
What's going to be the air-defence weapon fit? 64 x Barak-8 (70km Range) with additional 32 x Barak-1 with 2 x AK-630 CIWS or a mix of 64 x Barak-8 and Barak-1 with 4 x AK-630 CIWS?

Are there any plans to integrate the Barak-8ER (essentially a Barak-8 with Booster) which is supposed to have 120km range or is it just going to be integrated to the Project 15B?

WMD

What's going to be the air-defence weapon fit? 64 x Barak-8 (70km Range) with additional 32 x Barak-1 with 2 x AK-630 CIWS or a mix of 64 x Barak-8 and Barak-1 with 4 x AK-630 CIWS?

Are there any plans to integrate the Barak-8ER (essentially a Barak-8 with Booster) which is supposed to have 120km range or is it just going to be integrated to the Project 15B?
112 VLS(64+32+16BrahMos UVLM) seems too high, So I think its 64+16 BrahMos UVLM.
Anyway, 4 AK-630 not 2. 20 were ordered total for 4 Kamorta Class(2 each) and 3 Kolkata Class(4 each).
Barak-8ER, may be in future upgrades.

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
112 VLS(64+32+16BrahMos UVLM) seems too high, So I think its 64+16 BrahMos UVLM.
Anyway, 4 AK-630 not 2. 20 were ordered total for 4 Kamorta Class(2 each) and 3 Kolkata Class(4 each).
Barak-8ER, may be in future upgrades.
2 AK-630 with 32 Barak-1 would be a better fit in my opinion. All 4 AK-630 are clustered in one area which makes 2 pairs redundant. Instead it would be better to have one just between the Air Defence VLS and RBU-6000 and the other just above the hangar. Instead of the AK-630 the Millenium Gun would have been a much better option but I guess the AK-630 is being used because of commonality and logistical ease.

Last edited:

rohit b3

Country flag
What's the latest status of commissionin of all the 3 ships?

There has been a terrible delay in this project, though i wouldn mind calling them the BEST destroyers in the World once commissioned, till the US Zumwalt Class is ready.

And are the Project 15B using modular construction? Can we practically expect them to be ready by 2018?

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag

There has been a terrible delay in this project, though i wouldn mind calling them the BEST destroyers in the World once commissioned, till the US Zumwalt Class is ready.

And are the Project 15B using modular construction? Can we practically expect them to be ready by 2018?
The project is getting delayed because of delay in Barak-8 Surface to Air Missile.

rohit b3

Country flag
The project is getting delayed because of delay in Barak-8 Surface to Air Missile.
They can commission the ship without Barak 8 for now.

Barak 8 wont be ready before 2015.

Im guessing Sea trials of INS Kolkata are not yet over?

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Barak-8 failed tests last month, won't be available before 2017. Barak-1 supplies dried up due to kickback allegation. Pechora SAM depleted. We do not have any other SAM.

jmj_overlord

Barak-8 failed tests last month, won't be available before 2017. Barak-1 supplies dried up due to kickback allegation. Pechora SAM depleted. We do not have any other SAM.
how about importing it from the outside till barak 8 is ready ?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles