Kolkata Class Destroyers Update

abingdonboy

Country flag
Start somewhere? It only took 120 months to activate the Delhi class. You are going backwards. :facepalm:

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2
A fair point but the P-15A is many times more complex than anything India has produced before.

Let's wat and see what sort of timescales the P-15B and P-17A are produced to. If these ships take as long as the P-15A and P-17 respectively then there is a reason to criticise and be downbeat. If however, they learn their lessons and take a step foreward then we should all keep shut.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Ships are ready, the only thing stops its the procedure MOD is applying that is keep the hull in water just because of one system..

Its better to look for alternatives...

==================

My view we must re think about Delhi and Kolkata class, take the offer of aegis system and install on both class of ships, Later we can produce our own version of aegis system just like Japanese did..

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Ships are ready, the only thing stops its the procedure MOD is applying that is keep the hull in water just because of one system..

==================

My view we must re think about Delhi and Kolkata class, take the offer of aegis system and install on both class of ships, Later we can produce our own version of aegis system just like Japanese did..
Is the Aegis on offer?

pmaitra

All of them didn't go for sea trials. :facepalm:

In all, sensors and equipment were never installed. :sad:
You are right. Only one ship went for sea trials, and @arnabmit made a confusing statement, probably by accident, by saying "all" indicating multiple ships and then saying "ship" and "it" indicating one ship. I think it is a typo.

Last edited by a moderator:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Ya, I meant the lead ship, not all ships...

You are right. Only one ship went for sea trials, and @arnabmit made a confusing statement, probably by accident, by saying "all" indicating multiple ships and then saying "ship" and "it" indicating one ship. I think it is a typo.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrueSpirit

==================

IMHO, even if Aegis is on offer to India, preconditions of signing the contentious Logistics Support Agreement (LSA), Communication Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMoA) & EUMA would be there. 3rd one is fine with us, as in INS Jalashwa (USS Trenton) case, but the first two raises heckles in our strategic circles.

TrueSpirit

IMHO, even if Aegis is on offer to India, preconditions of signing the contentious Logistics Support Agreement (LSA), Communication Interoperability and Security Memorandum of Agreement (CISMoA) & EUMA would be there. 3rd one is fine with us, as in INS Jalashwa (USS Trenton) case, but the first two raises heckles in our strategic circles.
Just got to know, that there is something called Basic Exchange and Cooperation Agreement (BECA) necessary for geo-spatial cooperation with US.

natarajan

with election round the corner ,goi wont concentrate much on defence as majority of people doest even know what is kolkatta class destroyer.Also congress lead government wont go to war even someone occupies our land and they deal diplomatically or showing white flag or accepting whatever they say and finally declare themselves as chankiyans and other hand mms will take his family to japan as tourists

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I am sure such details can be worked out same as on P8I we did..

Our navy need long range air-defense ships, we simply don't have many options at hand, Given how Israelis are treating there partner in JV...

SPFG

The latest news I have from a freind I the defence industry who will be attending the P-15A commisioning (he attends all such events) is that the date is set for mid/late August 2013. Within the next few weeks the BARAK 8s will be delivered from Israel. It remains to be clear whether these will be fitted prior to the ship's commisioning or a few weeks/months later but he tells me the IN are 100% certain the system will be onboard before the end of 2013- all the wiring is in place, it is simply a case of "plugging in" the VL-cells.

Bare in mind the T-45 class of RN destroyers were launched, commissioned and even deployed on patrols without CIWS so it is not unheard of for a ship of this size to be commissioned without certain weaponry.

Wrt delays- yes the likes of the P-17,P-15A and IAC-1 have all been plagued by delays but be certain their predecessors will all be completed in a fraction of the time- this is a certainty. The likes of the P-17 and P-15A were built using traditional methods- the P-17A and P-15B will make use of modular construction techniques, the IAC-1 faced very specific and unique circumstances that led to delays most notably a road traffic collision that wrote off one of the ship's gearboxes that added many months if not years onto the project as these are bespoke products and thus a replacement was not available for a LONG time. Needless to say such freak accidents will not happen in the future.

As Indian shipyards gain expertise, expand, revamp and pump in capital the only way is up and construction timelines being slashed.
Remember me scarcy? :thumb: Anyways you sure about this man? I mean a lil confirmation will be sweet.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Aug 2013 is almost here buddy... can you tap your source again and check?

The latest news I have from a freind I the defence industry who will be attending the P-15A commisioning (he attends all such events) is that the date is set for mid/late August 2013. Within the next few weeks the BARAK 8s will be delivered from Israel. It remains to be clear whether these will be fitted prior to the ship's commisioning or a few weeks/months later but he tells me the IN are 100% certain the system will be onboard before the end of 2013- all the wiring is in place, it is simply a case of "plugging in" the VL-cells.

Bare in mind the T-45 class of RN destroyers were launched, commissioned and even deployed on patrols without CIWS so it is not unheard of for a ship of this size to be commissioned without certain weaponry.

Wrt delays- yes the likes of the P-17,P-15A and IAC-1 have all been plagued by delays but be certain their predecessors will all be completed in a fraction of the time- this is a certainty. The likes of the P-17 and P-15A were built using traditional methods- the P-17A and P-15B will make use of modular construction techniques, the IAC-1 faced very specific and unique circumstances that led to delays most notably a road traffic collision that wrote off one of the ship's gearboxes that added many months if not years onto the project as these are bespoke products and thus a replacement was not available for a LONG time. Needless to say such freak accidents will not happen in the future.

As Indian shipyards gain expertise, expand, revamp and pump in capital the only way is up and construction timelines being slashed.

ladder

Country flag
Aug 2013 is almost here buddy... can you tap your source again and check?
Till he returns with the update, here is something open source.

The first ship of the class, being constructed at Muzgaon Dock Limited (MDL) in Mumbai, was scheduled to be delivered in July. But technical problems were detected during the sea trials of the destroyers - the largest warships to be constructed and designed at MDL.

It is estimated that the project has been delayed by at least six months as the new destroyer would now be made available only by early 2014.
Read more at: Navy's ongoing hunt for heavy torpedoes leads to delay in modernisation process : North, News - India Today

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Last i heard, India want to resume working on UAV on its own without anyone participation..

The issue may be sharing sensitive technology with India..

Cannot find the link now..

Ohk, was not aware that there are any teething issues with UAV JV's...if possible, any details on this available somewhere....?

Neil

Country flag
The Israel Navy will a equip itself with barak 8...

חיל הים יצטייד בטיל שנותן מענה ל"יאחונט" | ישראל היום

any news when are we getting...??

Global Defence

New threads

Articles