Kolkata: Best City to Live In

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Kolkata ranked best among India cities

Among Indian cities, Kolkata is the best place for quality of life. It was followed by Thiruvananthapuram, Bhopal and Patna.

Delhi and Mumbai were ranked fifth and ninth, respectively. Chandigarh scored the lowest, due to its poor legal framework, according to the second report of Annual Survey of India's City-Systems 2014.

Janaagraha Centre for Citizenship & Democracy, a Bangalore-based non-profit body, issued the report on Friday. It is based on 115 parameters defining the function and policy framework of 21 selected cities.

The cities were evaluated on four broad aspects of the City-Systems framework. These were urban planning and design, urban capacities and resources, empowered and legitimate political representation, and transparency, accountability and participation. (CROWN FOR CITY OF JOY)

The findings show Indian cities are nowhere close to London and New York, which scored 9.6 and 9.3 on 10, respectively. Kolkata topped with a 4.0 score and because of a robust state election commission and higher voter turnout. Thiruvananthapuram was given the second position because it is the only city having a local body ombudsman.

"The scores imply that Indian cities are grossly under-prepared to deliver a high quality of life that is sustainable in the long term," the report said.

It had sharp observations such as 17 of 21 cities scoring zero on open data compared to a perfect 10 for both London and New York. And, all cities scoring zero on compliance with spatial development (master) plans.

"Over the years, urban residents have become immune to living with overflowing garbage in their backyards, arduous commutes to their workplaces, shabby housing and minimal social or cultural outlets," said Ramesh Ramanathan, co-founder of Janaagraha.

Around 300 million people live in towns and cities. In the next 20-25 years, another 300 million Indians will shift to towns.

According to a Planning Commission document, it took nearly 40 years for India's urban population to rise to 230 million. "It could take only half the time to add the next 250 million. If not well managed, this inevitable increase in India's urban population will place enormous stress on the system."

jmj_overlord

kolkata ? i thought mumbai, bangalore was better when infrastucture is concerned....

Apollyon

Führer
Country flag
kolkata ? i thought mumbai, bangalore was better when infrastucture is concerned....
:fkidding:
Infrastructure: Delhi is much better than Mumbai and certainly Bangalore. Where you think all your Tax Money go ? In maintaining Delhi's Infrastructure. :taunt:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Well to each man his own.

For me Kolkata is indeed the best city to live in. Despite the state of WB having a high crime rate, Kolkata has the least crime rate among all metros.
Also I feel that compared to Delhi our transportation system is better. As for infrastructure and cleanliness I think its decent. Maybe Delhi has better infrastructure than us. I also found Bangalore nice though I stayed there for only a few hours.

If one visits Kolkata i think they should visit Victoria Memorial,Botanical Gardens,Indian Museum,Alipore Zoo,South City Mall,Science City,Nicco Park etc. I feel that after visiting these landmark sites you can truly judge my city.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Quality of life is definitely better in Kolkata. As a matter of fact, the much maligned Bhadrolok class can be given a good deal of credit for keeping the vibrant culture of Kolkata alive which, although deteriorating in present days, do give Kolkata a much better social life - cleaner and tolerant with a sprinkle of intellect. The city is still one of the safest of the metros with the women folk given a greater degree of freedom and respect. Of course I have seen Mumbai to be vibrant and relatively safe for women. But the living cost in Kolkata is tiny if compared to any of the metros.

But, the author or the research have not counted the weather of the city, and that's why I rate it far below in the list! 90% humidity with 39C temp - it kills to be there in summer!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles