Koizumi Calls on Japan to Abandon Nuclear Power

t_co

Ex-Prem. Koizumi Calls on Japan to Abandon Nuclear Power - JIJI PRESS

Nagoya, Oct. 1 (Jiji Press)--Former Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi said Tuesday that Japan should abandon nuclear power.
"I'm calling for zero nuclear power," he said in a speech in the central Japan city of Nagoya.
The 2011 earthquake and tsunami, which triggered a severe nuclear accident at Tokyo Electric Power Co.'s <9501> Fukushima No. 1 plant, should be taken as an opportunity to build a resource-recycling society without nuclear power, he said.
Nothing is costlier than nuclear power, Koizumi said. The consequence of a nuclear accident is enormous, and it takes 40 to 50 years to decommission a nuclear reactor, he said.
The popular former leader called on the government of current Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to decide early to give up nuclear power.
Shinzo Abe is widely considered Koizumi's protege.

amoy

termination of nuclear power meaning more reliance on costly oil+gas import how would it be workable for revival of JP economy?

Sent from my 5910 using Tapatalk 2

Free Karma

Hmm..Japan has already done so I think.

I remember reading an article a few weeks ago, where japan switched off their last nuclear reactor. andyes the coal and gas imports are killing their economy...but it seems thats what their people want. They are incredibly scared of nuclear power....understandably so (thankyou usa).

(cant post links yet, search for japan switches off nuclear reactor you get a bunch of news articles)

They even protest against japan supporting nuclear projects in other countires,that is the level of dislike that they have for nuclear power.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
Japanese are writing their doomsday on the wall.

This will mean import of coal and gas from USA which will boost US economy but screw the Japanese further. One Fukushima has scared them silly. It is indeed a national disaster but what's the guarantee that there will not be non-nuclear disasters?

Japanese should continue holding on to nuclear energy AS LONG AS they don't produce renewable energy like Denmark. Finland, Iceland and Norway do.

These Nordic nations have become experts in gaining and harnessing energy from renewable resources.

But importing coal and gas will destroy their already ailing and stagnant economy, further complicated by ageing population.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles