Kohinoor diamond not stolen, gifted to UK: Centre tells Supreme Court

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by jackprince, Apr 18, 2016.

1. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

NEW DELHI: India should not stake claim to the famed $200 million Kohinoor diamond as "it was neither stolen nor forcibly taken away", the centre told the Supreme Court on Monday.

Solicitor General Ranjit Kumar, appearing for the government on Monday, said this was the stand of the Culture Ministry. He also told the court that the 105-karat Kohinoor diamond was handed over to the East India Company by Maharaja Duleep Singh.

Incidentally, in 1850, the Marquess of Dalhousie, who was the British governor-general of Punjab, forced Punjab's Maharaja Duleep Singh to 'gift' the diamond to Queen Victoria.

Solicitor General Kumar on Monday also also said the response of the Ministry of External Affairs on this issue is yet to come.

The Supreme Court on Monday asked the Centre to file a detailed reply within six weeks.

The court had on April 9 asked the Centre to clearly state its position on bringing back the diamond. It was hearing a petition filed by the All India Human Rights and Social Justice Front.
    At the time, Chief Justice T.S Thakur asked the Centre if it is clear that it wants the case to be dismissed, because the government would face a problem if it claimed the diamond in the future.
    People have been demanding the return of the 105-carat stone for decades now.
    The British Government had in 2013 rejected demands for the return of the Kohinoor.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-tells-Supreme-Court/articleshow/51875450.cms
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our PM proclaims by expanding his 56 inch ki Chhati that it was mere a 'Gift'. Now Kohinoor is a gift, Bengal famine was but 'hunger strike', Independence movement was never there as Brits were our guest, Gilgit-Baltistan is part of Pakistan, Tawang belongs to China and what?

I thought it was a joke at first. Never in my life I thought I would be proven true about my claim of this Govt being eunuch.

Now a little infor on our RSS trained Minister of Culture.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahesh_Sharma

Peter, mahesh, abingdonboy and 3 others like this.
  3. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Did Modi promised anything about Kohinoor??? I guess no. This is the stand of Ministry as per the records available. Do you want them to perjure in the court despite having the documentation?? I'm not sure why we need a trial in court for this issue??? What would court do?? If we seriously want this diamond back, SC can't do crap about it. And how many here believe that we need to claim Kohinoor back from the Britain?? For that, we need to negotiate with the so called royal family and British government.
    Our courts are entertaining idiotic petitions, do your job. Such information could have been yield by RTI.

4. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

Bhai, whom are you trying to fool? I ain't an aaptard, or for the matter a moditard, that I can be led to believe whatever you dip in your spinned off honeyed words.

So, now on we can only expect Modi to dot all the 'i's and cross all the 't's of 'what' he only promised?

Also, what is perjury? Which document would have been there in the possession of the Cultural Ministry that would prove that it was a gift? Or does the Cultural Ministry not have enough culture in their collective selves to understand the history of Anglo-Sikh wars and aftermath? Or does Govt. of India also considers that Duleep Singh was an honored guest of Queen of England only, now? Are you fucking kidding me? When are your cultural ministry going to claim that there was no struggle for Independence as British were only here as guest and businessmen, next?

It is not so much about the petition- the merit of which can be debated in other course - but about the reply submitted by no less than the Solicitor General in the court wherein GoI completely rejects the age-old claim of getting Koh-i-noor back. It is not the question of whether we can get it back or not, but the question of the fact and audacity of the ministry to whitewash the greedy manipulative imperial Brits' actions during that period.

I have a brain and I understand that we cannot get it back or need it back, for the matter. But, it is not the act of getting back that is important but the symbolism of the claim which is a reminder of the thieving barbarians. Symbolism should be understood by the govt. of 56-inchers, I hope?

The RSS is indeed a group of charlatans, preying on the hopes of the Hindus. It could easily be an asset of the anti-Hindu forces to counter Hindu rejuvenation!

mahesh, abingdonboy, DingDong and 2 others like this.
  5. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

Here we need to learn a thing or two from our neighbour China. They keep the issue simmering until it either gets resolved in their favour or they get into a situation where they can take what they want with force.

Return of Kohinoor will be a partial payback we deserve from the UK for the 150 years of exploitation.

The diamond doesn't belong to the government, it belongs to the people, and the issue will remain alive as long as there will be at least one Indian ready to fight for it.

Modi was punished in Bihar for his double speak and it forced him to take cosmetic actions against Vadra. These politicians cannot live without getting continuous kicking on their buts.

Peter, abingdonboy, fooLIam and 3 others like this.
  6. Indx TechStyle

Indx TechStyle Perfaarmance Naarmal Senior Member

Let India turn itself in a high income economy in 4-5 decades.
    High Income + Large Population= Mammoth Economy = More defense and technological development budget.
    Only can be challenged by China or US to some extent. :p
    All peace mendates or UN must be scrapped and west must be colonized by Easterners as revenge.

DingDong likes this.
  7. Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Sakal Gharelu Ustad Detests Jholawalas Moderator

Great comeback.

There was no reason to give this reply. Whether to petition UK to get back the diamond is altogether another issue. Kohinoor was part of plunder that Brits did in India. Period.

SKC and DingDong like this.
  8. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

I don't think govt has a say in this matter..

Family of the king who gave it to the British can, that too if they can prove it was taken by British by force or deceit. Again the case has no relevance in Indian courts, only British courts.

Best case scenario, keep the topic simmering ensure we do vasooli million times over via trade. Reach a stage where more currency comes to india from Britain than from india to Britain.

I know many won't agree to the last statement, but that is the way world works.

SKC likes this.
  9. DingDong

DingDong Senior Member Senior Member

Sovereignty is never given, it is always asserted and enforced. Jurisdiction and relevance of Indian court can only be decided by the Indian court and be enforced by the Indian state. Unfortunately the Indian state is not powerful enough.

Trade cannot replace geopolitics and statecraft, civilizations rise and fall, our time will come. And when our time comes we must not show any mercy. We must take as much as we can.

For now, we wait patiently.

LETHALFORCE likes this.
  10. LETHALFORCE

LETHALFORCE Moderator Moderator

Nice initiatives let's start with POK first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DingDong and Indx TechStyle like this.
  11. Indx TechStyle

And clean jihadi population before inhabiting the region.
    Currently, we have an ADS which gives muzzies extreme pain without any injury.
    Use a laser like KALI to burn them from in to outside. :flame:
    Watching one burning alive like Star Wars movie, rest of them will surrounder automatically. :p

12. ezsasa

ezsasa Senior Member Senior Member

Well put .....

13. aliyah

aliyah Regular Member

govt position is right.......and technically kohinoor now belongs to Pakistan coz it was given by Punjab king from capital city Lahore .

14. Indx TechStyle

pakistani identity is based on Islam. So, if they want to claim koh i noor, they'll have to reintegrate themselves with India.

abingdonboy likes this.
  15. fooLIam

fooLIam Regular Member

lol BJP (read RSS) are in complete mood to make loc international border,its just that pakistan is not agreeing.:p

I agree with @jackprince it more of symbolism thing and it matters to us very much.giving these type of comments really betrayel .

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
    mahesh and LETHALFORCE like this.
  16. fooLIam

fooLIam Regular Member

you always keep saying ""we will do this after we become supa dupa". here doha for you

काल करे सो आज कर आज करे सो अब
    पल में परलै होयगी बहुरि करेगा कब

17. Indx TechStyle

Not supa dupa powa but at least largest economy.
    If you want to it now, try. :biggrin2:

I hope you're enough intelligent about what to do when, if you are giving a Doha to me.

18. Indx TechStyle

Go by realism, and watch the conditions inside PoK.
    That place has been contaminated by muzzies.

19. VIP

Since when this debate needs to be diverted to Hindu rejuvenation??? Lots of Indian assets have been stolen by not only britishers; afghans, Portuguese, french, you just count them. Mohammed ghori had looted somnath temple for 17 times. You think you can claim everything back.

I know the deposition is ridiculous but the case itself is ridiculous. Why everyone thinks here that Modi reviews all matters before it goes to the public domain? The ministry babus are no less than some idiot who's making fool out of themselves as usual. But do we need to debate such idiocy?? I can see the points raised in past 2 years are not only gutter borne but also blowing out of proportion.

Don't be emotional about such things, our culture and sovereignty are way more rich than some monarch's looted diamond.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  20. Indx TechStyle

@fooLIam
    Seriously man, international scenario isn't a joke.

No matter how much we rise, Brits have done what they wanted. Distorted history, ported many important antique pieces to their country.

We're only talking of Koh i noor, there are many such things. They also broke our country. Even if we crush them under feet or do something, that we have lost, will never come back.
    Things snatched back won't have such value. Re occupying PoK is useless, they are all brainwashed.

There are some things in world, which are done if done once.
    Nobody can change it. :(

21. VIP

What double speak Modi did here in this case??? Don't throw bihar with excuse everytime lol. We all know what happened there. People voted Nitish and Laloo, they didn't punish Modi. In fact Bihar is in no position to say that they punished Modi because he double speaks and simultaneously to do that they voted laloo. BJP lost because of its own internal fighting, no proper face and caste based politics.

I don't understand how this can be a point of emotion of people of India and a point on which we can bash Modi for not bringing back the kohinoor. Some people just need some stupid things to do what they love. There are many things that you can pick to criticize constructively but not this one.