Know Your 'Rafale'

halloweene

Few interesting infos (or confirmations) in latest Air Fan "special Rafale" issue.
SATCOM IS integrated on two prototypes planes B301 and C101. You can see it on the B 301/nEUROn/Falcon flight. Atm it is working on inmarsat civilian network, but will of course work with others.
A HMD is being fully integrated (my bet would go on scorpion as Thales has bought visionix, but no clue)
MLU will mainly concern sensors, weapons and EW. Time schedule unclear, lets say 2025. smart skin/cheek arrays seem to be involved, aswell as more offensive capabilities for RBE2 and very high bandwith directional datalink. Mica NG also.
Standard F3.4+ being tested at CEAM.
Now my guess :
Recently, we have seen CARAA study plan finish (possibility of physical division of the antenna of RBE2), aswell as INCAS (which led to improved spectra with GaN modules) and DEDIRA (very secret program, means discretion demonstrator for Rafale, all we know for sure is that it is flying and working fine and no special plane having been spotted it is arguably and improvement of ECMs).
MELBAA program, intending to lead to GaN RBE2 with divided antenna AND parallel calculators for those divisions has just been funded, both for Rafale and FCAS.
Add to this Tragedac (aimed at sharing tracks between planes so as to consolidate them)...

I see a schem there, not you?

So as to answer to your question Lord, a senior DA executive told me "it would be stupid not to make a common MLU with India". And as you will be given source codes, you can upgrade whatever you want, but technological forks aren't so good for plane dev. Better have a MOU between India and France.

halloweene

We hope Mr Eric Trappier can hold to his statement then.
It is nowhere written in the article that Trappier stated an estimated value. It is a common journalistic mistake to add its own comments to a quote.

A nice chart about plane prices btw. You can add ToT and industrialization costs (and benefits) as far as MMRCA is concerned.

sgarg

It is nowhere written in the article that Trappier stated an estimated value. It is a common journalistic mistake to add its own comments to a quote.

A nice chart about plane prices btw. You can add ToT and industrialization costs (and benefits) as far as MMRCA is concerned.
I understand your point. Let us see how the situation develops.

sgarg

Re: India ready to cancel Rafale deal, if France refuses to supply" M

Rafale deal is NOT signed yet. The deal will accompany 15% advance which will run into billions of Euros. The whole world will know when the deal is signed.

sgarg

it's a french article no russian not Indian source
Technically the "fear" is correct as it is a 40 year deal - means the duration of contract runs for 40 years. 10 years is just for supply of aircraft. The rest is for maintenance and upgrades.

If geopolitical situation becomes worse, then the deal may become impossible.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag

I highly doubt that. India would never jeopardize its goody-goody nuclear energy club membership prospects by antagonizing France. After Congress losing power here, and after Putin sucked up to China with that $450 billion ONG deal, there has been a fundamental shift in who is India's best friend in the world. It's currently not Russia.

sgarg

I highly doubt that. India would never jeopardize its goody-goody nuclear energy club membership prospects by antagonizing France. After Congress losing power here, and after Putin sucked up to China with that $450 billion ONG deal, there has been a fundamental shift in who is India's best friend in the world. It's currently not Russia.
India wants to delink its external relations from arms buys. India wants to focus on "economic" and "cultural" relations. xxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxxx

Mod : Pruned. Let us not get personal just because we didn't like what was written

sgarg

@tarunraju, It is a complex world which can no longer be seen in black and white.

Russia trades with China but then India also trades with China. India's trade with China is quite substantial.

India continues to make efforts to normalize relations with China. These efforts may not succeed in the short run but the direction still remains.

There are disputes and differences with China but people must realize that no firing is occurring on the border. Chinese insurgents and terrorists are not showing up in Indian cities.

Last edited by a moderator:

DingDong

Country flag

India wants to delink its external relations from arms buys. India wants to focus on "economic" and "cultural" relations. Your statement is typical of Congressi mindset. You do not realize that Congressi government no longer rules this country.
In my opinion such de-linking is not practical, but I agree that India might not be batting for Russia in this case.

sgarg

India is playing a major role in BRICS for a reason. If people have noticed, China and Russia are also part of BRICS.

India is NOT a member of NATO. India is NOT even a NON-NATO major ally of USA (like Pakistan).

There is not a BIG or GREAT reason for India to ally with France.

sgarg

In my opinion such de-linking is not practical, but I agree that India might not be batting for Russia in this case.
No, it is very practical. A strong India CANNOT define its relations with other countries on the basis of arms buys. India has always wanted an independent foreign policy. This independent stance is compromised when we have special military relationships.

prohumanity

Country flag

By refusing to fulfill the deal to supply Mistral to Russia...France has lost credibility as a reliable supplier and shown weakness that it can't make decisions independently. India does not want to rely on an unreliable supplier as it can be left in limbo when it needs the air crafts.
Its "OK' to scrap the Rafael deal and look into a more reliable partner to get the jets. In matters of security, no compromise should be allowed.

pmaitra

Re: India ready to cancel Rafale, if France refuses to supply Mistral

Some might see this as India batting for Russia, but I see this as a simple case. France must not be encouraged to refuse to abide by a contract that it has signed. If France does this with Russia today, it will do the same thing with India tomorrow. Indian taxpayers' money is not to be squandered away on those that will hold it for months and then refuse to supply whatever has been paid for.

JBH22

This deal if France cancels it that would do lots of damage to French armaments industry specially proving it as an unreliable partner.

Infact Russians are fully insured in this case if French do not deliver they have to pay lots of penalties, destroy their industry and also lots of unemployment and that too only to please Uncle Sam.

Basically it should be one more reason why not to completely shift in US sphere of influence the purchase of C-130 and C-17 puts us under tremendous pressure in the event Uncle Sam pulls off the plug.

sgarg

Basically it should be one more reason why not to completely shift in US sphere of influence the purchase of C-130 and C-17 puts us under tremendous pressure in the event Uncle Sam pulls off the plug.
No. The bulk of transport fleet is Non-American. Plus American goals in South Asia has changed and Pakistan no longer has the weight as it used to have.

In fact there is more to fear France as French are more in bed with Muslims.

I see cooperation with Russia continue or even grow due to India's participation in BRICS.

People are misreading Modi government.

Last edited:

pmaitra

India does not trust the US.

Whatever India buys from the US, is insured. I am glad the policy makers and bureaucrats who make decisions take care of the details, unlike some folks who go ga-ga over US. This is not a criticism of the quality of efficacy of US arms, but a criticism of the tendency of the US government to arm-twist and bully others.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles