Kiran Trainer jet to retire in 2014

Discussion in 'Indian Air Force' started by Ganesh2691, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Ganesh2691

Ganesh2691 Regular Member

Even with recent induction of Pilatus Basic trainer aircrafts by Indian air force, Pilot training in IAF will continue to suffer since Stage II aircrafts HJT-16 Kiran will be retired in 2014 and its replacement HJT-36 Sitara is still no were in Horizon .

From 2009 on wards when HPT-32 Basic trainer fleet was grounded by IAF, Kiran Aircraft’s also took the role of Stage-I trainers for training IAF pilots, Inductions of Pilatus Basic trainer aircrafts in IAF has eased the pressure on pilot training but HAL’s inability to sort out problems related with HJT-36 Sitara is matter of concern for IAF, HJT-36 Sitara is suffering from weight issues along with a unreliable engine.

HAL now claims that IOC for HJT-36 Sitara will be achieved by end of 2013 and BAE developers of Hawk AJT currently been used by IAF for Stage-III training has been pulled in for Project consultation for HJT-36 Sitara .

IAF have informed MOD that they don’t have contingency plans if HAL fails to deliver HJT-36 Sitara in time and IAF will be forced to use combination of Pilatus Basic trainer and Hawk AJT for Stage II training of its pilots.

Kiran Trainer jet to retire in 2014 | idrw.org

3. Kunal Biswas

Kunal Biswas Member of the Year 2011 Moderator

Served us well..

===================

I never understood why we go for a new design for HJT-36 ? When we can make a new Kiran as tandam and a composite one with glass cockpit so does new engine ?

As far as i researched, Kiran can hold the Russian engine used by HJT-36 ..