Kerala HDI myth - state has more malnourished kids than Madhya Pradesh

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by parijataka, Apr 29, 2013.

1. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

So much for so-called Kerala Model of development (i.e. money order economy and bankrupt state govt!) and HDI figures - as per latest central govt figures more Kerala children suffer from malnoursihement than those in MP.

Malnutrition puts State in the dock
    CAG report points out tardy implementation of ICDS scheme

Kerala’s claim to robust health indices has received a jolt with a report by the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India saying that as per the World Health Organisation (WHO) growth standard, the percentage of malnourished and severely malnourished children in Kerala is 36.92 per cent and 0.08 percent respectively as on March 2011.

Kerala lags behind neighbouring Tamil Nadu which has 35.22 per cent malnourished and 0.02 per cent severely malnourished children. In Assam, the figure is 31.32 per cent and 0.46 per cent. Madhya Pradesh has a better track record with 28.49 per cent and 1.88 per cent respectively.

The CAG’s report on ‘Performance audit of ICDS scheme’ on January 17 this year pulled up the Union and the State governments for their failure to achieve even the halfway target of the country’s flagship Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) scheme even after three decades of its launch.

The report said, “The Union Ministry of Women and Child Development failed to ascertain the extent of malnourishment in the country on World Health Organisation (WHO) Growth Standard for timely intervention to mitigate its consequences. It failed to implement the policy of universalisation of the ICDS scheme in full.”

The audit for the 2006-07 to 2010-11 period said, “Despite high incidence of malnutrition and severe malnutrition among children and Supreme Court directions to ensure universalisation of services under the ICDS by the year 2008, was yet to be achieved.”

It said that of the Rs.50,587 crore spent on the ICDS scheme during 2006-2011, only Rs.30,861 crore (61 per cent) was spent for providing nutrition.

Under the scheme, 50 per cent of the funds are provided by the Union government and the remaining by the State government.

The CAG said, “India’s status on key child development and health indication did not compare well with its own target and with that of neighbouring and other regions.”

Quality of services

“The Union government failed to sanction the required number of Anganwadi Centres (AWCS) and the State government failed to operationalise even the sanctioned ones.

Thus, the quality of services available to the beneficiaries was seriously compromised on account of inadequate infrastructural and logistic support.

The government was not in a position to give assurances on coverage of habitations, especially those having predominantly Scheduled Tribes and Scheduled Castes and other weaker section population under the scheme.”

The CAG report said that in the community mobilisation scheme, the shortfall of funds in Kerala was 47 per cent as against the 42 per cent in Madhya Pradesh. Kerala found a place among States where the gap between eligible beneficiaries and actual beneficiaries was more than 50 per cent, the report said. Kerala also figured among States that did not off-take foodgrain under the Wheat-Based Nutrition Programme (WBNP).

The report also said that Kerala, Assam, Bihar, and Delhi did not disburse any amount for providing flexi fund to the AWCS. Kerala failed to procure medicine kits for the AWCS despite availability of funds. The failure of States to procure medicine kits on an annual basis had a direct bearing on the availability of the same at the AWCS.

Singh likes this.
  3. Singh

Singh Phat Cat Administrator

Re: Kerala HDI myth - state has more malnourished kids than Madhya Pra

Malnutrition in Kerala: Tamil Nadu offers help

The Health Department of Tamil Nadu has decided to supply 4,000 doses of Vitamin A in wake of the glaring malnutrition problem that has afflicted the tribals of Attapady. The supply of Vitamin A is aimed at tackling malnutrition among children aged 6 years to 2 years. Tamil Nadu's resolve to help comes following a request made to the state health officials at a meeting in Palakkad.

"The State Immunization Officer has requested for the doses, which would be sourced from UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Fund). Another set of 1,000 doses of Vitamin A would also be procured for children residing in 16 villages of Coimbatore on the inter-State border," said Deputy Director of Health Services R Damodharan.

The supplements would be sent to Kerala by next week.

Malnutrition in Kerala: Tamil Nadu offers help - News - JANAM TV

4. GPM

GPM Tihar Jail Banned

I agree that there is rampant malnutrition in India. But we should not take WHO standards for growth as benchmark.

5. PredictablyMalicious

PredictablyMalicious Punjabi Senior Member

Jammu and Kashmir has the lowest malnutrition rate in India :cool2:

6. Anand Nair

Anand Nair New Member

Human Development Index (HDI) is a composite index computed from several indices for Income, Health and Education. HDI is the standard accepted by the United Nation as the measure to compare "development" in various parts of the world.

Globally, India is ranked 119 out of 169 countries, but loses 32 percent of its value when adjusted for inequalities.

Within India, the HDI is the highest for Kerala (0.625) followed by Punjab (0.569) and the lowest for Orissa (0.442), Bihar (0.447) and Chhattisgarh (0.449). Gujarat ranks 8th after Tamil Nadu and Uttarakhand. (As per 2011 Report published by UNDP).

The Health Index considered for computing HDI is "life expectancy at birth" and NOT "malnutrition". The reason is that "life expectancy at birth" is a good measure of long and healthy life of people -- and can be measured with greater accuracy. (The statistic "Life expectancy at birth" is calculated looking at the number of people of different ages dying in a particular year. As deaths are registered, this figure is objective and cannot be fudged.)

On the other hand, prevalence of "malnutrition" is at best a subjective judgment, prone to all kinds of errors while calculating the average "malnutrition" of a State.

In order to identify (and thus count and average) severe malnutrition in a community, trained community health workers need to measure the mid-upper arm circumference of ALL children who are 6–59 months of age; and examine them for bilateral pitting oedema. Those who are found to have a mid-upper arm circumference <115 mm, or who have any degree of bilateral oedema are counted as suffering from "severe malnutrition"!

States like Kerala (with effective primary health centers) can hope to measure severe malnutrition to some degree of accuracy. But measure of "severe malnutrition" by states like Madhya Pradesh is subject to huge errors.

What is worse, the news report (of 2013 that you cited) indicate that Kerala is behind MP in "malnutrition" (an undefined term), whereas "severe malnutrition" (itself prone to error, though well defined) of Kerala is 0.08% compared to 1.88% of MP! This shows that MP has over 23 times more "severe malnutrition", compared to Kerala! (Also note that Gujarat is far worse in this than MP, in this measure!!)

Agnostic_Indian likes this.
  7. saty

saty Tihar Jail Banned

The Kerala Gulf diaspora refers to the people of Kerala living in the Middle eastern Arab states of the Persian Gulf. In 2008, they numbered more than 2.5 million out of entire 6 million from India.

btw Kerala pop 3.3 cr.
    Oil prices are dropping significantly from last 2 years wait&see all mallus kicked out from gelf.You don't have any industry except gelf remittance and jihad. :rofl:

parijataka likes this.
  8. Anand Nair

Anand Nair New Member

Let me call your theory as "Theory 1". This can be stated as: *Kerala's unprecedented economic growth and prosperity crucially depends on what happens in the Middle East*

The Prediction (presuming Theory 1 is right) that needs to be checked out, say after 5 years (by 03 Feb 2021):-

As the economies in the ME slow down, Kerala's economy will "fall into an abyss". (it is inevitable that ME economies will slow down, as solar/ nuclear energy would increasingly replace oil, causing crude oil prices to drop),

How do we test if Kerala has indeed fallen into an abyss by 2021? By checking if there has been *a sharp drop in Kerala's per capita income, COMPARED to other states of India that are NOT dependent on the Middle East*. (It is important to COMPARE Kerala's *ranking* with this of other Indian States, to rule out "non-ME-slow-down" factors that may affect India's economy as a whole).

If the above prediction comes true (within the next 5 years) that will strengthen Theory 1. Else Theory 1 will get falsified.

If for some reason, ME economies continue to boom by 2021, Theory 1 will not get falsified by then. But the "doomsday scenario" drawn out by you in 2016 (based on this theory) will still get diluted in terms of significance as far as Kerala is concerned!

Fair enough?

In my next response, I will give an alternate theory. Let us call this Theory 2

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  9. Anand Nair

Anand Nair New Member

I propose "Theory 2": Kerala's unprecedented economic growth and prosperity in recent decades has been a direct fall-out of the following factors:-

a) Comparatively larger government spending on education and healthcare -- this by the erstwhile Travancore State, and markedly more so after independence (extending this to Malabar, earlier under direct British rule, and hence more backward at the time of unification of the State as "Kerala") even as the State Domestic Product (of Kerala) ranked low compared to most other States of India.

b) Effective delivery by the government of free education & healthcare to all sections of society across the State covering all regions (except that this was less so at the tribal areas) after Independence.

c) The above two factors (together with land reforms) resulted in a large base of educated and healthy youth in their twenties -- since the early 1970s.

d) As happened in all developed nations, Kerala underwent a *demographic transition* with (low birth rate, high health indices) when literacy and health-awareness crossed a critical threshold. This too had already occurred by the 1970s.

e) The above situation in 1970s was just ideal for young people with basic education and skills (tradesmen, teachers, nurses etc) and higher education (doctors, engineers, lawyers etc) to exploit opportunities existing anywhere in the world. This led to large movement of masses of young people mainly to the gulf (and also elsewhere) in search of best "exchange value" for their work. The money (forex) repatriated by these young pioneers kick-started the Kerala economy.

f) The huge inflow of forex into Kerala from 1970 to 1990 created the "primitive capital" that pushed the State into becoming "developed" in the sense of high wages for manual labour, shift of economic activity from manual-labour-intensive-manufacture to skill/ knowledge-intensive-manufacture/ services, and a consequent marked reduction in "visible poverty". (This is characteristic of ALL developed nations in the world, as opposed to the "developing" 3rd world nations to which developed nations would move their labour intensive manufacturing industry -- attracted mainly by large army of uneducated cheap labour who would work for wages far below the basic needs of human subsistence).

Predictions presuming Theory 2 is right (to be checked out after 5 years on 02 Feb 2021):-

a) If there is huge loss of jobs in the ME, the people who lose jobs would still retain their skills and education. They would thus retain the option to move to any place in the world (including, back to Kerala) where they can get OPTIMUM exchange value for their work. This means that unless there is a global recession, Kerala would not be affected even if the Gulf nations go down in the next 5 years.

(Unlike as predicted, the 2008 recession saw an INCREASE in remittances into Kerala in the following years -- though there was large scale loss of Gulf jobs even then! This was as predicted by Theory 2, and contrary to the prediction of Theory 1)

b) If there is a global recession in the next 5 years, it is labour intensive manufacturing (including those set-up in India through FDI) that would be first closed down -- leading to massive job losses. From the experience of the economic crises in 1930s and 2008, we can say that the demand for skilled services (teachers, nurses, doctors etc) would persist longer. The prediction thus is that Kerala will STILL rank high, compared to other states of India who would be affected more severely by global recession.

c) The use of robots (with increasing Artificial Intelligence) and 3-D Printers would replace need for manual labour in manufacturing. This means that the cheap uneducated labour force of the 3rd world will cease to be an "attraction" for manufacturing Industry in the coming years.

It is widely acknowledged that when a particular threshold is crossed in this direction, manufacturing will move back to "developed" regions with educated, skilled and healthy workforce (who would operate, repair and maintain robots and do other skilled higher paid jobs) - and with democratic freedoms.

The prediction is that (in such a scenario) Kerala will be one such region -- aided by educated & skilled populace, the absence of poverty/ beggars/ high health indices/ tolerance to global dietary preferences etc (the conditions under which people from developed nations will like to interact, if they have a choice)

Okay, I have placed my prediction(s) under various possible scenarios as may unfold in the next 5 years.

Which theory would you bet on?

2021 is not too far away! Just two years after the next General Election in India!!

10. punjab47

punjab47 महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट Banned

I will give you theory 3:

Keralites had infrastructure built for them in exchange for conversion to christianity & islam along with providing funny Internet videos:

Tshering22 and saty like this.
  11. Anand Nair

Anand Nair New Member

Fair enough. We can consider Theory 3 too!

Your theory is an EXPLANATION for how "Keralites had infrastructure built for them". Okay. We can accept that as a possibility. Why not?

But what is your PREDICTION based on Theory 3?

a) Will Kerala continue to be AHEAD of other states of India by 2021?

or

b) Will Kerala's economy go bust by 2021 (when the oil based Gulf economies will have slowed down, and there would be huge job losses)? Will Kerala be worse off than other Indian States by 2021?

My prediction (based on Theory 2) is that Kerala will continue to be AHEAD of other states of India (more particularly, ahead of Gujarat) by 2021 -- whatever happens in the Middle East, and even if ALL gulf jobs are lost.

So, would you like to take a BET? We can verify whose prediction turns out right by 02 Feb 2021. Okay?

12. punjab47

OK, I would say

1. If christians are taking statistics then it will remain ahead or get extra points regardless.

2. I think Keralite position depends on if we have civil war or not.

If we do then it will drop in rank.

If we do have civil war then bet is:

If you win bet we target christian & muslim
    If I win we target christian & muslim

Either way, Bharat Ma (Vaheguru) wins. :D

13. Anand Nair

Anand Nair New Member

I can see that you an ardent supporter of Narendra Modi and the RSS. Your refrain "we target christian & muslim" is indeed the REAL agenda of this govt -- which already has the dubious distinction of being the biggest flop show since Independence. We want more people like you exposing the real agenda of Modi...

I will make another prediction -- if there is going to be a civil war, the RSS will be the first to run away, throwing their lathis on the way. Wanna bet?

14. punjab47

I am not supporter of Modi or RSS you stupid christian.

I am a servant of Guru Gobind Singh.

@Agnostic_Indian @genius third moplah mallu I guess.

Coconut sipping imbeciles,

parijataka, Mad Indian and saty like this.
  15. Anand Nair

Anand Nair New Member

The views as expressed by you are NOT that of Guru Gobind Singh!

If you talk like an RSS guy, you can expect people to regard you as an RSS guy. Godse too had claimed he was not an RSS guy!

You can keep trying to protect Modi and the RSS by denying your affiliation with them -- but we are not fools! Because Modi/ RSS have supporters like you, so we need to oppose them. People like you are those who reveal to the world the REAL nature of Modi & RSS. Keep it up!

16. punjab47

Yes they are imbecilic mallu, go read Uggardanti I've posted it here:

Your expertise is inbreeding rapist pedophile & zombie carpenter, stick to that.

Modi / RSS are children compared to Khalsa. Do you remember 47? 40% muslims gone in 4 weeks. :D

Mad Indian likes this.
  17. saty

saty Tihar Jail Banned

Hey Mallu our present PM is an RSS guy,HM is an RSS guy, Many CM's&Cabinet ministers are RSS guys for at-least another 15 years.

Buredin for Sickular guys. :D

parijataka and Mad Indian like this.
  18. Indx TechStyle

Indx TechStyle Perfaarmance Naarmal Senior Member

Yoye data is old.
    In 2015, India's HDI was recorded to be 0.609 and that for Kerala was around 0.750.
    For Punjab, I think it was written around 0.650-0.675.

parijataka likes this.
  19. Anand Nair

Anand Nair New Member

.....................................................................................

20. Anand Nair

Anand Nair New Member

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

21. Anand Nair

Anand Nair New Member

Thanks! I see that Kerala continues to lead in terms of HDI in 2015 too!

I had quoted from the 2011 report published by the UNDP. Has the report been published for 2015? What about the ranking of other States, particularly of Gujarat?

Can you give the reference for the 2015 HDI figures?

You can see the 2011 UNDP Report at http://www.undp.org/content/dam/ind...human_development_index_for_indias_state1.pdf

Indx TechStyle likes this.