Kerala Catholic priest family in mental hospital for fall in love

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Ray, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

When someone voluntarily wishes to become a 'man of the cloth' in the Catholic faith, he has to renounce his worldly life and desire.

It is not that overnight one can become a priest,

The Church spends great time and money to educated the person in formal education as also in theology.

Many poor people join the Church just to get an education, good and nourishing food and a better life.

This man seems to be one of those types who wanted to use the Church to his advantage and then quit, having gained the bounties of the Church.

I don't think the man is mentally sick, I think he is a very clever snake oil salesman and a charlatan.

The world is full of such conmen, tricksters and basic scoundrels who want to get the best of society and give nothing back in return.

However, what was done to him may not be legally correct and above board.

3. Ajesh

Ajesh Regular Member

Its his choice, if he wants to settle down with the Woman and the woman wants to settle down with him and he eventually wants to renounce Preisthood, then what is your Problem? Its an individual's choice. If his family and Society made him as a Priest but later he found that his better life is somewhere else, what is Your problem?

SPIEZ, parijataka and Prometheus like this.
  4. Ray

The problem is a mentality born out of Calling and a mentality called a career.

The problem is a thing called Deception for Profits.

The Stayam owners are in jail for that!

But I do understand that here the word 'Loyalty', 'Being true to the Salt' is a difficult thing to fathom,

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  5. Ajesh

Ajesh Regular Member

You actually think Churches are one Holy Land? Check Check, Behind the so called "Kind Jesus is the Savior of All" there runs a Billion Dollar Industry that gets fund from just about every Western Country and it runs a Massive Brainwashing which runs along a lifetime of a man ,forget the brainwashing of a person in his Child hood.

What they lose one priest they will have another 1000's in waiting..

6. anupamsurey

anupamsurey Regular Member

i read in dan browns- Inferno, where how church has made Africa as a dumping ground for condoms. mind you church and mullahs still see family planing as evil, and we must also notice how kerla is turning into our own backyard for islamic terrorism- mind you Kerla is a state where literacy rate is thought to be almost 100 pc, it again counter the point of using formal education as a tool against terrorism, because most of the terror masterminds are educated people.

7. Ray

I could not care less about the Church and its way.

All religions and their Orders are but an industry and spiritualism is last on their mind.

This so called Priest exemplifies the rot.

Of course there will be many poor folks to join the Church. It is a great way to emancipation in a materialistic way. Good food, good wine, good accommodation, world travel and all that even the middle class cannot afford. In fact, there was a report that since nuns in Europe are scarce, nuns of Kerala are going to the Vatican & other holy joints and in the name of service to the Lord are actually maids to scrub the floor and so on.,

I have seen the same in Mother's House ie the acclaimed Mother Teresa's house when I wad organising the funeral. The Europeans nun was acting like prima donna and the tribal (or so they appeared) were lifting water and scrubbing the floor and the damn Belgian pastor knocking off ham and bacon as the Indian nun served him hand and foot.

NO religious order in any religion is true to the religion. Its all about power and money. Check the spat between that Sankaracharya and the Sai Baba issue.

I am merely addressing the issue on Morals, Being true to the Salt, the Honour and Value of one's Word.

If these can be thrown to the winds and cast asunder, then what is left?

Deceit is something you may concur as pristine, but I don't.

8. bennedose

bennedose Senior Member Senior Member

Is it possible that the man deserved to be in mental hospital for becoming a man of the cloth in the first place?

Peter likes this.
  9. Ajesh

Ajesh Regular Member

All these words are relevant in Your Army, but not in the General World, Here it is a World of Malice, some do it better some do it Best.Its a Case of choosing between Who is Lesser,

By the Way Army seems sacrosanct but who knows there might be massive corruption there as well?

parijataka likes this.
  10. Ray

:rofl: :rofl:

11. Ray

You must forgive me. A man is influenced by his environment.

Further, when I was young and in a joint family, it was no different from what was the morals that was imbibed as it is in the Army.

Yet, I will concede, the modern world of unitary families and materialism, that inflicts us today, including my own family, totally baffles and sadden me.

And yet there are those who speak so vociferously about our 'Indian/ Indic' culture and so on, who know fanny adams about the same excepting being cosmetically 'nationalistic'.

I don't claim to be hell of an Indian, but then I have gone through the era where I have experienced the goodness of Indian society crumble around me as pseudo nationalism took grip with people who have not seen the real McCoy (to some extent since I too have not seen what it was before my time) pretending to be vanguards of Indian and Indicness!

The Army is not the same Army as it was in my father's time, which got degraded in my times, and as i see it now, it does not give me great joy since the rot of society has visited it even more ferociously than before!

Let me be frank, if this egalitarianism not been insisted by Nehru to break the Army tradition backbone, we would have still held our heads high.

Post 1962 War when street savvy chaps from the civil street (Emergency Commission, though to be fair, not all, but a majority) were recruited and became officers, they brought in the virus of street savvy avenues to fulfil misplaced ambitions, it became the name of the game.

Now, it is too late to cry over spilt milk!

12. Ajesh

Ajesh Regular Member

I am not cosmetically Nationalistic, Just to tell You i chose not to go to a High Paying Job in US, I chose not to pursue a "Beautiful Looking Girl Friend" because she wanted to go out of India, So what does it leave me to?

A Blue Fox in my Family, Because in their Eyes i am more or less a Failure, Couldnt settle anywhere nicely nor do i have Beautiful spouse wherein i was the one expected to get these things ,

But I am not the One to sit and Cry , after all i have one thing left with me, thats My conscience. ---- everything Else.:hat:

Regarding the Amry, like You an Uncle of mine has said the Same things. But You, me and everybody needs to be Optimistic about things, however idealistic that Might sound.

parijataka and Peter like this.
  13. pkroyal

pkroyal Regular Member

I totally agree with the Brigadier.
    We live in troubled times, the age of innocence, poetry, inner beauty& contemplation is over & behind us.
    To each his own ( I, me ,myself seems to be the mool mantra )
    Mark my words, if you can keep your head ( wisdom) when all around you ,people are loosing their's, you will be a man my friend ( Kipling ?)
    Information overload is what we all are suffering from.

Peter and Ray like this.
  14. ITBP

ITBP Regular Member

I dont see any reason to oppose this move.

Jesus said to love him more than you love your sister, brother or parents.

So what is wrong?:rolleyes: :sarcastic:

You dare to ignore Son(why son? Not daughter) of God's warning?

Peter likes this.
  15. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

The proper course would be for this priest to talk to his bishop (chain of command issue, just like army). His family is hysterical.

Dovah likes this.
  16. Energon

Energon DFI stars Stars and Ambassadors

There is no evidence presented here which indicates any intention on this man's part to conspire against the church. What is clear however (at least based on the information here) is that this individual's family is more interested in his priesthood and religious values than he is himself. It's not as is if this guy abused his priesthood to forcibly procure sexual gratification, he seems to genuinely be interested in pursuing a relationship with another consenting adult and has chosen her over his religious dicta and the order of the priesthood. From what I understand the Catholic church is not like the Italian mafia; you can resign your post if you choose... I mean the pope did it.
    Luckily this man also lives in a free country where he has the legal right to make that choice.

17. Otm Shank

Otm Shank Regular Member

"may not" lol

Great job at trying to justify it morally while half heartedly condemning it legally.

18. Ray

Have seen such shenanigans first hand.

Joining the Church is a 'calling'. ( An inner urge or a strong impulse, especially one believed to be divinely inspired to accept the Gospels as truth and Jesus as one's personal saviour.)

But when the 'calling' is opportunism for better life and then, when life is good to you because of the organisation lifting you from poverty and illiteracy and thereafter giving it a shakedown, it is morally disgraceful.

But legally, who can contest the opportunistic 'call of the heart'?

19. Ray

Indeed, India is a free country.

However, as I see it, in a free country, one goes by the rites, rules and regulations of the religious body one joins voluntarily.

If this man was not interested in his priesthood, then he should not have joined it. The fact that he can leave his priesthood when he had taken a vow, indicates that he is not a sincere and a reliable chap who can live up to his word and principles. In a way, it is good that he is 'saving' the Church.

Why the last Pope resigned is shrouded in mystery. The speculation is that it is the result of the massive bank fraud that the Vatican indulged in and his playing Pontius Pilate in that, as also in the sexual abuse issues.

Speculations, nothing concrete.

20. mattster

mattster Respected Member Senior Member

Guys.....every man makes mistakes, and commitments that he sometimes fails to keep.
    No one is infallible. Every Catholic priest has the right to leave the order and the priesthood.

Only in places like India......can the family of a perfectly sane man who wants to leave a religious order of his own free will, be committed to a mental institution by his family against his wishes.

The question you folks on DFI should be debating is not about the Priest who wants to leave and get married.
    The question that should be asked is how can you commit someone to mental institution for simply wanting to leave a religious order. In this case, he just wants to leave the priesthood........he is not even renouncing his Catholic faith.

Can you imagine how freaking stupid the authorities who sent this man to a lunatic asylum are.

As a Malayalee Christian - I can say that this type of behavior by his family is very unusual.
    He is by no means the first one to leave the Priesthood.
    It may be a stain on your family name, but priests are also free men who serve the priesthood by choice.

This is not the Army, where you sign a contract and there is no getting out.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
    Otm Shank and Energon like this.
  21. Eesh

Eesh Regular Member

A man becomes a sadhu volatarily. But he can come back and marry.

A jain sadhvi too can come back and marry.

For that they are not declared insane, or a charlatan or a snake oil salesman or a conpersons like are doing.

Where is the anti khap crowd? Are they hiding in their holes?

Mind you the said hospital HAS to be catholic run outfit. Why should they be not investigated deeply? How many other priests and nuns have been locked away like that?