Kaveri Engine

smestarz

Country flag
If we are using M88 core which is compressor, Turbines and burner are going to be french, what are we supplying? Wires and casing?

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
If we are using M88 core which is compressor, Turbines and burner are going to be french, what are we supplying? Wires and casing?
Why is it that you think we use M88 core? Why can't India make its own core? GTRE has done it on its own.

no smoking

Country flag
France had said that 75% of Kaveri is complete. This meant that Kaveri, by itself was flyable engine.
If it is a FLYABLE engine, then you won’t need France assistance.

I guess, it was lack of altitude testing bed due to Congress policies that the scientists weren't able to fine tune the engine. Fine tuning requires repeated testing on a daily/weekly basis. Sending it once or twice to in a year to Russia is never sufficient
Oh please, your Modi has been in power for 3.5 years, don’t you think “Congress policy” is an outdated excuse?

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag

Oh please, your Modi has been in power for 3.5 years, don’t you think “Congress policy” is an outdated excuse?
Don't you know that the engine has successfully tested 2200 hours on ground testbed. It already has endurance established with k7 prototype with 50 hours of continuous testing.

Sent from my Aqua Ace II using Tapatalk

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha

What can be made in 3.5 years? Even constructing of technological simple bridges takes that long

Kaveri is flyable with dry thrust. the problem with afterburner comes in. 55kN of thrust is sustainably doable

Pandeyji

Country flag
It would take some time to find but I remember reading on BRF that kaveri was 75% complete. It was a very long document. I will try to find it and post it

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
It would take some time to find but I remember reading on BRF that kaveri was 75% complete. It was a very long document. I will try to find it and post it
That was in 2015. Now, it is undergoing fine tuning. India lacked test bed for high altitude tests where the engine was developing problems.

What is the status now?

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
I think it's about time we bought an aircraft and modify it for engine test bed

Can't believe we actually didn't had one up until now
Last Kaveri engine run were done on a Russian Antonov Aircraft.

Pandeyji

Country flag
That was in 2015. Now, it is undergoing fine tuning. India lacked test bed for high altitude tests where the engine was developing problems.

What is the status now?
The Engine is working now only certification on Tejas remains. If everything is fine AMCA will be powered by kaveri.

Sancho

The Engine is working now only certification on Tejas remains. If everything is fine AMCA will be powered by kaveri.
Kaveri initially was aimed at 81kN, but achieved only around 70kN.

Kaveri / Snecma co-development is aimed at 90 to 95kN, which if achieved is good enough to replace GE404 from LCA, while MK2 was planned with 98kN of the GE414.

ADA plans with 110kN thrust requirement for AMCA and is proposing GE414 for the initial development as well.

Even for the use in Tejas, it will take years for finishing the development and proving thrust and reliability. For AMCA a completely new development would be required, based on the fully finished Kaveri / Snecma engine. That's why the engine and the fighter needs to be developed independently, to not make the same mistakes again.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
Kaveri initially was aimed at 81kN, but achieved only around 70kN.

Kaveri / Snecma co-development is aimed at 90 to 95kN, which if achieved is good enough to replace GE404 from LCA, while MK2 was planned with 98kN of the GE414.

ADA plans with 110kN thrust requirement for AMCA and is proposing GE414 for the initial development as well.

Even for the use in Tejas, it will take years for finishing the development and proving thrust and reliability. For AMCA a completely new development would be required, based on the fully finished Kaveri / Snecma engine. That's why the engine and the fighter needs to be developed independently, to not make the same mistakes again.
Kaveri has run at 81kN. It was aimed at 90kN. Even 80+kN was OK, but the after burners were unstable and needed fine tuning.

Years to develop? Why is it an infinite loop?

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag

CAG report 2015

You need to get your facts right and not just claim things.
You need to check the grammar used here. Or go to official website, they have quoted the achieved benchmark

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
Which neither says anything about achieved thrust, nor the 90kN goal you claimed. So even that proves you wrong, while CAG evaluated the test results.
And the results clearly states the report by 2009, researched report by 2011 quoted in 2015.

Sancho

And the results clearly states the report by 2009, researched report by 2011 quoted in 2015.

Yes, which makes the figures official and we also know that the programme was scrapped in 2015, because the DRDO was not able to fix the issues.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles