Katju Warns of Strong Action Against Paid News

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Vyom, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

Citing complaints about paid news in the ongoing Assembly polls in five states, Press Council of India Chairman Justice Markandey Katju today warned all media persons, candidates and election authorities of strong action if they were found indulging in the malpractice.

"I have been receiving complaints from several quarters that in the ongoing elections in five states, the malpractice of paid news is widespread," he said in a statement here.

"A severe warning is given to all media persons, candidates and the election authorities that strong action will be taken against those indulging in this malpractice which is a blot on democracy," he said.

The retired Supreme Court judge said the malaise of paid news is "a threat to free and fair elections and it undermines the foundation of democracy and shakes the people's faith in the media.

"This malpractice will subvert parliamentary democracy in the country, unless ruthlessly stamped out."

He expressed happiness over the fact that the Election Commission has already set up Media Monitoring Committees district-wise.

"We request these committees to keep a strict watch on suspected cases of paid news and report forthwith to the concerned Election Commission authorities as well as to the Press Council," the Press Council chief said.

news.outlookindia.com | Katju Warns of Strong Action Against Paid News

maomao likes this.
  3. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

And how will he know what are paid news?

Certain channels will have to close down and so will a lot of newspapers.

Can he take them on?

Can he ever indict Barkha Dutt and NDTV and the other sleepy eye chap whose name I forget that they were in league with Nadia of the Nadia Tapes?

All bogus ho hah to pretend to be a great Crusader.

Of late he, himself, appears to be a Kapil Sibal clone and a Govt mouthpiece himself!

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
    parijataka likes this.
  4. The Messiah

The Messiah Bow Before Me! Elite Member

I hope he succeeds in his endeavour.

In his speech he has said media has responsibility like hanuman but they dont know it. He calls for self regulation and reporting imp news rather than sensationalizing things. On avg 45 farmers commit suicide everyday in India but when was last time any news reported it ? On the contrary media person claimed no Indian goes hungry.

5. Vyom

Vyom Seeker Elite Member

Well whatever way he does, even saying it as Chairman of Press Council of India is in itself a humble beginning.

6. Ray

Ray The Chairman Defence Professionals Moderator

I don't know which newspaper does not write of farmer's suicides.

I heard Katju on TV. He is did show his great knowledge of Hindu scriptures. But I wonder if quoting scriptures alone will do the work!

I wonder why people in Parliament and elsewhere spout sheyrs, scriptures and other stuff instead of getting things done, even if it is done in silence and without publicity!

Less of talk and more of action from those who are to implement is a better option.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  7. lcatejas

lcatejas Regular Member

Worst media we have in India... If you watch news channels zeenews, starnews etc they have only ads..even they will show you the security system installed on Republic day... :shocked: ..