Kashmiri refugees eke out livelihood in Kolkata

ejazr

Ambassador
Kashmiri refugees eke out livelihood in Kolkata

About 50 Kashmiri families have for the past two months put up tents near Dakshineshwar temple in the northern outskirts of Kolkata.

A big plot of vacant land at Rajabagan, meant for an Expressway, has become the temporary address for 350 to 400 Kashmiri refugees, most of whom are form Baramulla, Badaun and adjoining areas of the strife-torn Kashmir valley.

The flock comprises mostly tangawalaas and fruit vendors from places like Pahelgam, Patnitop and whose livelihood depends largely on tourism.

The members of the group talking to The Indian Express said that since June last year, strikes, curfews and shut-downs have made it difficult for them to manage two-square meals a day. Hundred of these families first flocked to Jammu station and from there set out for different locations.

"We have found a shelter here," said Riyaz Ahmed, one of the camp inmates. Riyaz is MA in education from Kashmir university.

"At Dakshineshwar railway station, we saw this abandoned land and decided to set up camps here. The locals are helping us with food and other necessities," said Rashid Ahmed, 23, who is a graduate.

While West Bengal Chief Secretary Samar Ghosh denied any knowledge of the new group of refugees in the northern outskirts of the city, the additional director general of Intelligence Branch, West Bengal police, Banibrata Basu, said police teams were sent to inquire about them. Their addresses in Kashmir were verified and found to be true. And on humanitarian grounds, they were allowed to stay, said Basu. The open space where Kashmiri refugees have set up camps, belong to the National Highway Authority.

An official of Belghoria police station under which the land falls said: "Initially we objected but when we came to know about their circumstances, we allowed them to stay. They get water from the nearby municipal taps and from Kishore Sangha, a local club. Food is often provided by Gurudwara Singh Sabha of Baranagar, a few NGOs and a few local mosques. The male members of the group earn some money by doing odd jobs like pulling rickshaws and working as daily labourers.

The living conditions are highly unhygienic. "If we fail to get food and lead a peaceful life, we will go back. We will ask our government to make arrangements for us," said Mohammad Shafaq, another inmate of the camp.

When contacted on phone, Jammu & Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah expressed his ignorance about the refugees. He said he will inquire about it.

pmaitra

"At Dakshineshwar railway station, we saw this abandoned land and decided to set up camps here. The locals are helping us with food and other necessities," said Rashid Ahmed, 23, who is a graduate.
Those that are helping the refugees must be commended.

While West Bengal Chief Secretary Samar Ghosh denied any knowledge of the new group of refugees in the northern outskirts of the city, the additional director general of Intelligence Branch, West Bengal police, Banibrata Basu, said police teams were sent to inquire about them. Their addresses in Kashmir were verified and found to be true. And on humanitarian grounds, they were allowed to stay, said Basu. The open space where Kashmiri refugees have set up camps, belong to the National Highway Authority.
Good that they were allowed to stay on humanitarian grounds.

An official of Belghoria police station under which the land falls said: "Initially we objected but when we came to know about their circumstances, we allowed them to stay. They get water from the nearby municipal taps and from Kishore Sangha, a local club. Food is often provided by Gurudwara Singh Sabha of Baranagar, a few NGOs and a few local mosques. The male members of the group earn some money by doing odd jobs like pulling rickshaws and working as daily labourers.
The local clubs have always been very active in WB (Similar ones took the rescue initiative, organised relief camps and common kitchens during the floods of 2000*). Moreover, there are gurdwaras/mosques and NGOs that are helping out.

So what had Gilani got to say about this? This news should be highlighted. While he does not want people from other parts of India to settle in J&K, we are willing to accomodate everyone in distress. Now, will Gilani still talk about humanity?

* - This is prima facie and what I had seen myself, and I cannot provide any evidence at the moment. Believe it or not; it's your choice.

ejazr

Ambassador
^^^I think this is an excellent example of the Bengali people and Indians at large that people will try to help other people in distress. The sad part is that educated people are being forced to live as refugees and mostly pro-India Kashmiris are being forced out of the J&K. This happened in the 1990s as well and is happening again even today.

pmaitra

^^ I agree. Thankfully, there have been no major backlash against immigrants from other parts of the India or abroad. The latest being these Kashmiri refugees, Bengal is home to many Sikhs who migrated during the anti-Sikh pogroms of 1984, it is home to people from East Pakistan who migrated to India in the months preceding the 1971-72 Bangladesh Liberation War, it is home to a thriving Marwari community, the most famous of them being Jagmohan Dalmia (whatever be the reasons), and many more from the neighbouring states. The only people the Bengalis ever fought against were the British, the history of which is well known. Said that, there are haters, like there are in every other state or country. Thankfully, they are in a minority.

Regarding pro-India Kashmiris being forced out of Kashmir, the three major examples would be:
  • National Conference workers
  • Kashmiri Pandits
  • Ikhwanis

drabhi

The so called refugees must be verified seriously. The J&K government has no such records. These people might be PAKISTANIS in disguise of kashmiris. Actually kolkata is becoming a hub for terrorists due to over enthusiastic hospitality of bengali folks. For eg main accused of bhindi bazaar blast in mumbai was a resident of beniapukur,satellite phone which kasab's gang used had sim from beniapukur kolkata. So kolkata jago stop these over enthusiastic hospitality.

lemontree

Professional
How did this group reach Kolkata?...They should be sent packing to J&K after proper interrogation.
There are no tangawallas in Pahelgam and Patnitop. These would be gujjars/ bakarvals. They traditionally own two plots of land; one on the lower reaches (for winter stay) and another on the higher mountains (where they migrate during summers).

Param

How did this group reach Kolkata?...They should be sent packing to J&K after proper interrogation.
There are no tangawallas in Pahelgam and Patnitop. These would be gujjars/ bakarvals. They traditionally own two plots of land; one on the lower reaches (for winter stay) and another on the higher mountains (where they migrate during summers).
What is your opinion about missionaries and their activities these days.The kind of demographic change that is happening is quite alarming. Should those causing demographic change along with those submitting to it be dealt the same way mentioned above?

I have noticed in a couple of threads that your opinion seems to differ a lot when it comes to Christians of Mangalore or Missionaries in tribal belt and................. Kashmir.
I still remember that suggestion of Internal strategy to deal with the Kshmir issue.Someone gave an example of Israel.

PS: I am not accusing you of Hypocrisy.

Last edited:

lemontree

Professional
What is your opinion about missionaries and their activities these days.The kind of demographic change that is happening is quite alarming. Should those causing demographic change along with those submitting to it be dealt the same way mentioned above?
I have noticed in a couple of threads that your opinion seems to differ a lot when it comes to Christians of Mangalore or Missionaries in tribal belt and................. Kashmir.
I still remember that suggestion of Internal strategy to deal with the Kshmir issue.Someone gave an example of Israel.

PS: I am not accusing you of Hypocrisy.
Although your question is silly. I shall reply - the demographic change in Kashmir is tilting the people towards their islamic brothers in Pakistan. While the christians of Mangalore or the tribal belt, lay down their lives for the country.

Besides Mangalore has a history of 500 yrs of christianity - the migrants who came down from Goa. The difference is in national or anti-national attitude of the two demographs.

The startegy for internal security is to change the demographic pattern in Kashmir to increase the hindu/ sikh population to 50%.

Param

Although your question is silly. I shall reply - the demographic change in Kashmir is tilting the people towards their islamic brothers in Pakistan. While the christians of Mangalore or the tribal belt, lay down their lives for the country.

Besides Mangalore has a history of 500 yrs of christianity - the migrants who came down from Goa. The difference is in national or anti-national attitude of the two demographs.

The startegy for internal security is to change the demographic pattern in Kashmir to increase the hindu/ sikh population to 50%.
The demographic change that is happening in the Tribal and coastal regions is a bigger danger in the long term than the Kashmir issue.
What if tomorrow some"communal" politician says that there is a need to reverse the conversions and employs the same Israel type strategy in Mangalore and other minority dominated regions?

I think being Silly with noble intentions is better than an evil idea that can backfire.

Last edited:

agentperry

they chose nothing but bengal :facepalm:

they should be kept under check bengal is so damn near bengladesh well known for its militant launching facilities.

instead of going to anyother more prosperous state which guarantee much more opportunities there opting out bengal seems a bit suspicious.

however i hope that my thinking is proved wrong over the years and they live happily and harmoniously.

agentperry

the group includes MA people also.

if a masters in arts is pulling rickshaw, be it from kashmir, mizoram or delhi. its shameful!!!

i think anyone who has devoted so many precious years of life, in this case 5 years atleast after schooling, is not getting a job and is pulling rickshaw, then i dont see any reason why he will not get 1) frustrated, 2) deluded, 3) start hating govt and 4) in case of mainland India join naxals or other extremist groups and in frontier states a separatist movt.

Param

the group includes MA people also.

if a masters in arts is pulling rickshaw, be it from kashmir, mizoram or delhi. its shameful!!!

i think anyone who has devoted so many precious years of life, in this case 5 years atleast after schooling, is not getting a job and is pulling rickshaw, then i dont see any reason why he will not get 1) frustrated, 2) deluded, 3) start hating govt and 4) in case of mainland India join naxals or other extremist groups and in frontier states a separatist movt.
That's possible in the coming years because of the deteriorating economic scenario.
When India reaches the same situation as Greece, then expect it.

drabhi

If graduates of so called refugees get jobs like pulling rickshaw and manual labours then why did they chose a far off bankrupt state BENGAL. THE WRITING IS CLEAR ON THE WALL - NO Indian state is as receptive for pakistanis and bangladeshis as bengal, here they get SON IN LAW treatment.

lemontree

Professional
The demographic change that is happening in the Tribal and coastal regions is a bigger danger in the long term than the Kashmir issue.
What is the danger? increasing christians!!..you sound as absurd as the Russian Orthodox clergy who want to ban the Bhagvad Gita.
What if tomorrow some"communal" politician says that there is a need to reverse the conversions and employs the same Israel type strategy in Mangalore and other minority dominated regions?
You have not understood the issue. What you are refering to is already taking place in BJP ruled states. What I am suggesting, is to hold the national territory, restore the control of the hindu shrines to the hindus.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles