Karnataka, Maharashtra top attacks on Christians

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Vishwarupa, Jan 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vishwarupa

Vishwarupa Senior Member Senior Member

MUMBAI: Maharashtra has witnessed among the largest number of communal attacks on Christians in 2013, second only to Karnataka, says a recently-released report by the Catholic Secular Forum (CSF), an organization chaired by Justice Michael Saldanha, former judge at the Bombay and Karnataka high courts. Across the country, the report points at 4,000-odd offenses aimed at Christians, with 400 clergy and 100 churches attacked in a year.

While Karnataka may have had a higher number of attacks on Christians over the last year, the report suggests that Maharashtra is the next Hindutva laboratory. "The new government in Karnataka is sensitive to the attacks on Christians. However, in Maharashtra, the police and the lower levels of state administration are highly saffronized," said Joseph Dias, author of the report and general secretary of CSF.

From the desecration of a heritage cross in Mumbai and a statue of Jesus at Mangaon to violent

attacks on priests and nuns across the state, Dias says few other minorities would have been as tolerant to such attacks as Christians have been. "We're looked at as easy targets as we do not fight back. We are compelled to turn the other cheek because our religion teaches us not to resort to violence."

Growing attacks on India's Christian minority form the unreported story of communalism in India, says Harsh Mander, social activist and former member of India's National Advisory Council, who has worked extensively with victims of communal violence. "Unlike pogroms targeted at the Muslim community, attacks on Christians are of a low intensity, though very widespread. You don't have the sort of large outbreaks that you see in case of Hindu-Muslim clashes, and hence attacks on Christians often do not attract the same attention. However, there is a pattern emerging when it comes to attacks on Christians. Much of it is a result of Hindutva propaganda over what is perceived to be mass conversions. Like much hate propaganda, however, it is not backed by evidence to show any large increase in India's Christian population," said Mander.

Saldanha feels the onslaught against Christians is a cause for deep concern, especially in the run up to the Lok Sabha elections. "No party says they stand for communal violence, and yet such attacks continue unchecked," says Saldanha. In addition to violent attacks, Dias points to discrimination against the church in cities like Mumbai where the civic administration is ruled by the Shiv Sena-BJP combine. "There have been instances where Christian burial grounds were destroyed to widen nullahs on one side of the road, leaving the other side of the road untouched," says Dias.

Persecution of Christians in 2013

(Report by Catholic Secular Forum)

*Instances of persecution against Christians were highest in Karnataka, followed by both Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh at no. 2.

*Odisha, Chhattisgarh, MP, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Rajasthan and Delhi were among the top ten states where persecution occurred.

*Around 4,000 Christians were targeted in anti-Christian violence across India.

*Over 1,000 women and 500 children were victims of violence.

*Over 400 clergy and community leaders were attacked.

*About 100 churches and places of worship were attacked.

*7 were killed for their faith, including a 7-year-old child in Rajasthan.

Karnataka, Maharashtra top attacks on Christians - The Times of India

Why cant we ban Christian Missionaries in India? Like china, Middle east countries we should also ban them & bring strong anti conversion laws.

Are we so desperate to take money from christian missionaries?

What kind of organisations is Catholic Secular Forum? How can TOI(let) publish such reports which is authorized by government.
    Why CSF is not talking about forced/paid conversion? Why christian missionaries show Hindu gods in bad light & convert people.

adding to this Khangress is yet to release caste based census result.

I feel Hindus conversion to Christianity is biggest threat to India than corruption.

3. VIP

VIP Ultra Nationalist Senior Member

Can we know how many were attacked in fascist,Hindu fanatic and highly polarized state of India, the one and only Gujarat...

4. jackprince

jackprince Turning into a frog Senior Member

I don't. I believe if these people choose to go, they should, as either way they wouldn't be much of a Hindu. Those who don't feel pride in being a Hindu, is no loss to us Hindus.

But, you are right in one aspect. the changing demography and lack of unity in Hindus - are paving way for bigger outside threats.

5. VIP

Voluntary conversion is okay but forceful and conversion by other methods is wrong.

The Messiah, parijataka and kseeker like this.
  6. sasi

sasi Senior Member Senior Member

is it include "brain washing"?

parijataka and kseeker like this.
  7. VIP

In wrong manner ?? Yes...

parijataka and kseeker like this.
  8. tramp

tramp Senior Member Senior Member

It is clearly a Fascist ploy to equate allegiance to a religion/movement to patriotism.

rvjpheonix and Singh like this.
  9. Vishwarupa

You are free to call me fascist i have no issue.

10. tramp

Sanghi posturing is not much different from 'India is Indira, Indira is India' slogan of the Emergency days. Two sides of the same coin where allegiance to a group is promoted for nationalism.

The Messiah likes this.
  11. Vishwarupa

On what basis are your calling me a Sanghi?

I am an Hindu & i want to save my country, its religion & culture. All Hindus need not be a member of sangh parivar.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    parijataka, JBH22, afako and 3 others like this.
  12. rvjpheonix

rvjpheonix Regular Member

GIve me one example of forced conversion and how they were converted. You guys have been going on and on and on, on christian conversions. Have you ever enquired whether there is an equivalent increase in number of christians? Just say what you want to because the christians are not going to retaliate.

Mad Indian and SajeevJino like this.
  13. nirranj

nirranj Regular Member

மதம்மாற கட்டாயப்படுத்துகிறார்கள் : நறிக்குறவர்கள் மறியல் (படங்கள்)

parijataka, Mad Indian and Vishwarupa like this.
  14. SajeevJino

SajeevJino Long walk Elite Member

I read the above Article

I don't know how they yelling like Force Conversion ..They Only told about the Community to change your religion and Bring their Children to Churches and Put the commandments (Where no Pictures about Placing the commandments in front of their Houses )

So how can we came into a Decesion they forced to change their Relegion

In Christianity ..Each an Every Christian should tell about Christianity to non Christians ..But there is no way of forceful conversion and A good Chirstian don't do that

rvjpheonix likes this.
  15. VIP

Didn't I mention"Other Manner" ?? Did I claim anything like missionaries are converting many people forcefully in India ?? Read the post carefully, it's an opinion, not a claim.

And I don't wanna go in depth how missionaries convert SCs and STs into Christianity. There's a whole belt of converted SCs near by my college.

TrueSpirit1 likes this.
  16. Vishwarupa

Why should a christian tell/talk about christianity to other religion followers. Why dont they just follow their religion without disturbing others?
    Its like perusing others to know about christianity & slowly talk ill about the religion they are following. The ultimate motive here is spreading christianity by creating awareness & bad mouthing about other religion.

Accordingly to you what is the difference between a good christain & bad christain? so according to you good christains are not converting other religion followers right? But why are bad christains converting Hindus to christanity? why dont good christain condemn this act & complain it to authorities.

Good christains should not accept any more converts they should treat them as outsiders.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    Waffen SS likes this.
  17. tramp

I was not calling you Sanghi. I was just alluding to similarity between Sangh Parivar guys' cries and the past Congress slogan of loyalty to an individual to point out the fact that your stand is not different.

I can't help it if you thought otherwise.

Now even for a Hindu to equate patriotism/nationalism with religious allegiance is unacceptable and not Constitutionally tenable. India is not Pakistan!

rvjpheonix likes this.
  18. SajeevJino

SajeevJino Long walk Elite Member

In this Modern world everyone Expressing their view of Religion to other Communities ..The Hindu's doing the Muslims doing

and that means not disturbing other if so no one talk to other Community Peoples without Expressing their religion atleast a Time in their Conversation

If you take the Christianity the main thing is Do not worship or create idols ..they always tell this one to others ..So that means not bad mouthing other religion

we have Plenty of Good Christians and as well as Bad Christians too ..some works for money others are all for God

They do ..But not force others to convert they only give Counseling about Christianity ..converting is their DECISION

Anyone can come to Christianity .When you get Baptism you are a Common Christian Like Others

rvjpheonix likes this.
  19. Vishwarupa

My stand is different, no political party claims to stop conversion not even BJP.

Pakistanis become patriotic only when they are up against India. We hindus believe in Indian constitution which is very secular in nature but pakistanis constitutions is based on quran.

20. rvjpheonix

rvjpheonix Regular Member

Preaching is an integral part of Christianity. Banning us from preaching is stopping us from practicing our own religion. Saudi is a kingdom which is run by hardcore Wahhabis and china is communist. You want us to become like them?
    And there is a major difference between Abrahamic religions and Hinduism. We are monotheistic and you are not. You do not mind adding one more god or prophet. We do. We believe in one God so isn't it obvious we dont believe in yours? How is that bad mouthing? We consider it our duty to preach and to help poor people. Your so called missionaries are also helping out thousands of people. While helping them out we tell them about our faith and it is up to them to join or not. How is that forcing or brainwashing? Dont people have minds of their own to judge for themselves? Poor does not mean dumb. And conversion is an extremely personal choice. You have to accept Jesus from your heart only then are you a christian. How can you force someone to be a christian.
    And by the way how do you define a missionary? Mother Teresa a missionary?eh? After all when asked why do you serve people she said that she felt she was serving God by serving men. According to her God gave her a vision. Isn't that preaching according to you? The missionaries of yours are helping orphans, old chaps and homeless peoples and educating underprivileged children .Try not being so intolerant and though I accept some people go overboard you must focus on the positives.

SajeevJino likes this.
  21. Vishwarupa

SajeevJino;845114]In this Modern world everyone Expressing their view of Religion to other Communities ..The Hindu's doing the Muslims doing

and that means not disturbing other if so no one talk to other Community Peoples without Expressing their religion atleast a Time in their Conversation

Okay

If you take the Christianity the main thing is Do not worship or create idols ..they always tell this one to others ..So that means not bad mouthing other religion

Why should a christain ask Hindus to stop worshiping Idols, who are they to tell us, is any Hindu asking what is best? Is this not bad mouthing about Hinduism. Leave us alone, it’s our wish to create idols & worship it.

we have Plenty of Good Christians and as well as Bad Christians too ..some works for money others are all for God

Why don’t you condemn bad Christians like how we condemn bad swamijis.

They do ..But not force others to convert they only give Counseling about Christianity ..converting is their DECISION

Which good Christian has protested? Why should a Christian missionary counsel other religion followers? Counseling is also a sort of advising, here in this case asking someone to convert…. As mentioned above by you, you have agreed that christains will always discuss about Christianity with other religion followers by saying its wrong to worship an Idol then they counsel. If this is not forceful then what is forceful? .

Anyone can come to Christianity .When you get Baptism you are a Common Christian Like Others

So this means even good Christian wants conversion.

nirranj, Mad Indian, afako and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.