Karnataka college keeps girl out for wearing headscarf

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by I-G, Aug 19, 2009.

1. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Karnataka college keeps girl out for wearing headscarf
    TNN 19 August 2009, 01:46am IST

MANGALORE: The Sri Venkatarama Swamy (SVS) College in Bantwal has restricted a first year BCom student from attending the classes till she conforms to the rules and regulations of the college, which is not to display her religious identity, the headscarf.

The student Aysha Asmin, after objections from saffron-leaning students, was told by the college management not to wear the headscarf, which she started wearing after the college had prevented her from wearing the burqa.

Aysha has not been attending the classes from past 12 days. Trouble started after the college elections. She alleged that college president Bharath started heckling her for wearing a scarf saying that they too would come wearing a saffron scarf.

"He was taken aback when I said I don't mind. I don't even mind wearing a saffron scarf", Aysha told TOI. After this, harassment continued, but Aysha was stoic till it reached a flash point when the principal told her not to attend classes.

Aysha's father clarifies that he admitted his daughter to the college only after clarifying that there would be no issue for wearing a burqa in the college with a lecturer.

Karnataka college keeps girl out for wearing headscarf - India - NEWS - The Times of India

3. natarajan

natarajan Senior Member Senior Member

colleges is for uniformity so it is good to have all students in casual or formals instead of wearing religious identity ,it is a place for learning not religious place
    my opinion:
    i have friends and they used to say it was against their will and they are happy to come out with chudis and other western wears but most of them are forced to wear it:cray:

4. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

College is a place where it is teached to respect all religions but here president Bharath started heckling her for wearing a scarf saying that they too would come wearing a saffron scarf.

Religion is always part of ours identities and if someone is following his or her religion then no one should have any problem .

Its sad that now secularism is used as an ideology to counter religion same like the communism.

5. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

I feel all such Institutions dealing in this way need to be regulated. There is no problem in wearing a scarf if a Religion asks for it.

I know of Christian schools which require the students to attend bible class/prayers. I always think why government dont keep religion out of Colleges. But keeping religion out doesnt mean stopping someone from following their religion on campus if it doesnt bother anyone else.

6. sky

sky Regular Member

in france no religious clothing or jewellery can be worn in school.school is a place of learning and they must not show there faith there .i could not agree more,in britain young muslim girls wont to wear the hijab/niqab to school,this never happened 20 years ago.i feel school is for learning and no place for you to promote your faith.these young girls dont do well at school and just wont to exercise there religious freedom,like some badge of honour.they should grow up and remember the real reason they are there.

7. Flint

Flint Senior Member Senior Member

If they're a private college they are entitled to make their own rules, although its not acceptable that they promised to allow the girl to wear her religious garb and then refused after she was admitted.

8. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Does it means that the state wants the people to follow thier type of religion ? So what is the difference between Secularism and communism ?

I dont get urs last sentence . basically both Franch and Britian were colonolists and still have influence in many Muslim countries and this is the real reason that Muslims are in such numbers in almost all the countries which were having colonolist past .

9. Antimony

Antimony Regular Member

IG,

I think Flint's statement says it well. I will add that if this was a State sponspore4d collge than this action would have been illegal.

10. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Every instituion have to provide education no matter which religion thier follow . Now i m thinking how we are going to provide free education if every institution instead of providing education would impose rules .

11. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

What about the Free edcuation bill ? How the private institutions are going to cope up with many other things and instead of teaching starts imposing rules .

12. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

They have not denied her admission. They are asking to follow institute rules which is not to wear scarf. If it is true, they have the right. If they are wrong, she should take them to court.

13. sky

sky Regular Member

ig
    what i mean is they are sent to school by there parents to be educated,so they can get a a job,rather then standing up for there religious rights.as i said when i went to school 20 years ago ,we did what we were told and tried to fit in.now since 9/11 muslims try even harder to show the differences betwen us rather then what we have in common

14. ahmedsid

ahmedsid Top Gun Senior Member

If it was mentioned in the prospectus, she should not have relied on the words of lecturers or others, she should have double checked and got in writing. If it was not mentioned in the prospectus, she should take the college to court and get some action taken.

15. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

We always talk about Constitution . So now where are the rights of freedom of religion ?

There are already 3 croces cases pending in courts .

16. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

So u mean a religious person is not successful compare to an athiest ?

9 11 was indeed a terrorist attack but one should not forget that they got all the support from America while fighting Soviets . So it was just creation turned against its master .

17. Antimony

Antimony Regular Member

If you are asking my perspective on this, State sponspored schools cannot have a say in religious things nor can they teach any. Private schools can do whatever they want. If parents don't like it they can yank their kids out.

Its all there in the Constitution, Articles 26 - 30

18. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

Be it state of private institution , no one should set guide lines for the students , if religion is really a personal issue .

This is not any answer that if parents dont like it they can yank out thier kids , Here the main thing should be providing education not making students to leave the institutions because of thier religious beliefs .

19. Daredevil

Daredevil On Vacation! Administrator

They didn't deny her education. They are only telling her not wear her religion on her sleeve when in the institution as mandated by their rules and regulations. What she does in private, no body cares, even the institute.

To turn your argument on your head, people should go to educational institutes for gaining knowledge not to show how religious they are.

20. saffron

saffron Regular Member

True, religion is a personal issue, I strongly advocate the separation of church and state.

But, in this case since the institution is private there is nothing you can do. The way schools can enforce a uniform, the college can also enforce a uniform (in this case no religious garb). Are you trying to imply that having uniforms is against religious freedom?

21. I-G

I-G Tihar Jail Banned

So u mean she cant follow her religious beliefs in short ?

I m turning my argument to my head only . So does religious people should go institutes to gain knowledge , its not about showing , from where u got its about showing ?

It is just head scraf