Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh still caught up in caste politics

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by ejazr, Nov 26, 2010.

1. ejazr

ejazr Stars and Ambassadors Stars and Ambassadors

http://www.dnaindia.com/opinion/edi...esh-still-caught-up-in-caste-politics_1472155

Bihar has proved that it is ahead of many parts of the country when the people of the state jettisoned the caste calculus of political parties and voted for the Nitish Kumar-led NDA government for its performance based on a developmental agenda. Two of the prominent southern states, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh, have shown that they are still caught in the quagmire of caste politics.

Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) decided not to remove chief minister BS Yeddyurappa mainly because he belonged to the dominant Lingayat community. In neighbouring Andhra Pradesh, Congress has chosen Kiran Kumar Reddy to be chief minister chiefly because he belongs to the dominant Reddy community; which was the only way to counter the political rebellion of YS Jagan Mohan Reddy, son of late YS Rajasekhara Reddy.

Political scientists may have to think about why and how the economically modern Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh are still stuck in caste considerations while the economically backward Bihar has broken the stranglehold of old political thinking in a meaningful manner. Reddy has got impressive credentials in terms of political apprenticeship and educational background but they would not have got him the top job if he was not a Reddy. That is the hard reality.

The crisis in Karnataka has not been resolved but it has been put off for now. Yeddyurappa has been charged with favouring his sons in allocation of land in Bangalore. What saved Yeddyurappa is not his defense, but that he belongs to the dominant Lingayat community and the BJP had to weigh in the caste factor. Had Yeddyurappa not been a Lingayat, he would have been replaced promptly. Congress president Sonia Gandhi was justified in crowing about the fact that her party had unhesitatingly dropped Maharashtra chief minister Ashok Chavan after the Adarsh Housing Society scam. But the Congress acted for pragmatic rather than moral reasons.

What clearly stands out in the Karnataka and Andhra cases is the woeful role that caste plays in two of the economically advanced states in southern India.

3. amoy

amoy Senior Member Senior Member

would anyone bother to explain what the communities/castes do? or simply different patriarchal or matriachal tribes? or professions?

4. Phenom

Phenom Regular Member

Just because there has been one election victory against caste combination, doesn't mean that Bihar has somehow moved away from caste politics. Caste is a very powerful force in India, although its on the decline, IMHO India is not going to get rid of Caste based politics atleast for another generation.

5. civfanatic

civfanatic Retired Moderator

Just another generation? I feel the caste mentality has actually increased over the years. As people are becoming more economically secure and people from all groups have more opportunities, they are having more time to argue and divide others based on caste. It is getting fvcking ridiculous. Whenever people ask me my caste, I feel like shouting in their face, "my caste is Indian, what the hell are you?"

The government needs to stop giving preferential treatment to Dalits and "scheduled" castes. Even though this is meant to help disadvantaged people, it is actually adding more fuel to the caste divide. Nowadays, it is not uncommon to find low-caste people who are richer than upper-caste people, at least in South India. Caste isn't about money anymore, its just about the feeling of being "superior" to other human beings.

This disease needs to be eradicated as soon as possible. The day India becomes an advanced society will be the day when all Indians answer the question "Who are you?" with one and only answer: "I am an Indian". Not "I am a Rao, Telanganite, Hindu, etc."

6. rcscwc

rcscwc Tihar Jail Banned

Another generation!! Talk of eternity, thanks to the caste certificates, which lodes of gold.

Castes SHALL remian, their political effects MUST reduce. Easier said than done, but not impossible. Narender Modi does not play caste politics. He has done nothing for minorities, nor shall he. He has done nothing for the majority, nor shall he.

7. rcscwc

rcscwc Tihar Jail Banned

Drat. Duplicate.

But I zeroed on to the trouble. Not the fault of my w/l modem. It is your dratted server, which is too lazy to even update the data base. The home page of this Indian Affairs has not been updated since past 12 hours, which in todays Information Highway is "since Akbar's times".

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010