Kamorta Class ASW Corvettes

rajsking

Country flag
if you guys wondering what i am talking about check after 4.04 frame
Pardon my ignorance, but after seeing the video - was just wondering, if there is a way by which we can determine the general direction or better the probable source of missile launch.
We can design kamikaze helicopters / unmanned aircrafts to target enemies' sleathier ships/subs. Even if our enemy is the first one to find our location and fire a missile - I believe our choppers can then launch a counterattack against the target by tracking the incoming missiles.
Enemies will truly fear our ships having such choppers/unmanned aircraft. It will hit the enemies where it hurt them most - Few millions Vs billion dollar worth stealthy assets. And if, they do not attack, our reconnaissance choppers / unmanned aircraft will track them down in due time and attack them .

rajsking

Country flag
Thats's what a cruise missile is.
Let me re-phrase it.
0:00 time - an enemy sub detects our recon helicopter, but our helicopter has still not detected it (Enemy sub is stealthier)
0:10 time - Enemy sub launches 2 missiles which attacks our helicopter from 2 different direction. ( As seen in the video)
1:00 time - Our helicopter see the approaching missiles but still have not detected the enemy sub.
My question is - if there is any system - through which we can track the source of incoming missile (maybe by tracking the source of radar signal of the incoming missile etc.) I believe, visually we cannot make out the source of attack as incoming cruise missile do not follow straight path) .
1:10 time - Our helicopter launches all its missiles (maybe cruise) - towards the source of incoming missile - even if it still cannot detect the sub. Maybe it transmits the approx location of the attack-source to its ship and the ship launches the cruise missiles.
1:20 time - pilot jumps from helicpter
1:30 time - enemy missile hits our helicopter
2:30 time - our missiles hit the enemy sub - even if our sonar/radar have not detected it.

I would like to know if such system exists. - Or if such system is possible.

Last edited:

Bheeshma

Finally. Have they revealed the weapon fit? Any Klubs on this puppy or is it only barak-1's.

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag

Bheeshma

Good if it has universal launchers to fly the Klub anti sub version too.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Let me re-phrase it.
0:00 time - an enemy sub detects our recon helicopter, but our helicopter has still not detected it (Enemy sub is stealthier)
0:10 time - Enemy sub launches 2 missiles which attacks our helicopter from 2 different direction. ( As seen in the video)
1:00 time - Our helicopter see the approaching missiles but still have not detected the enemy sub.
My question is - if there is any system - through which we can track the source of incoming missile (maybe by tracking the source of radar signal of the incoming missile etc.) I believe, visually we cannot make out the source of attack as incoming cruise missile do not follow straight path) .
1:10 time - Our helicopter launches all its missiles (maybe cruise) - towards the source of incoming missile - even if it still cannot detect the sub. Maybe it transmits the approx location of the attack-source to its ship and the ship launches the cruise missiles.
1:20 time - pilot jumps from helicpter
1:30 time - enemy missile hits our helicopter
2:30 time - our missiles hit the enemy sub - even if our sonar/radar have not detected it.

I would like to know if such system exists. - Or if such system is possible.
no it does not happen that way.

Anti sub helicopter armed with torpedo and sonar send to area where sub is found.

they lower their sonar while hovering

then they try to hear the submarine on sonar, once found they launch torpedo to submarine

Now that submarine at present except US and German cannot launch underwater to air missile.
US has those, but they never shown any pic so far.

laughingbuddha

Country flag
Good to know that the Kamorta is to be inducted soon. As the yards seem to have overcome construction and supply glitches, one hopes to see them churn out the corvettes at a much faster pace. This goes for the Kolkatas and Shivaliks too as the IN needs them for the projected CVBGs and more.
I wish they would instal integrated masts in future Shivaliks and Kamortas.
Also, now that the IN has the P-28 and P8I, I wonder if there is a desi SOSUS in place in the Bay and the Arabian Sea to detect intruders and to guide our anti-sub assets to intercept?

Last edited:

Blood+

Country flag
Seems like there is no Klub AShM in Kamorta class corvettes.The information wrt Klub is most probably a false one.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Possible, Pity if such system integrated on board it would have been a very formidable ASW system ..

ladder

Country flag
Seems like there is no Klub AShM in Kamorta class corvettes.The information wrt Klub is most probably a false one.
Why you say so?

If your statement is due to lack of VLS or inclined tube launcher, then you should look more at the anti-sub version of Klub missile, which can be (Klub -S) launched from 533 mm torpedo tubes.

91-RE-2 version of Klub family

91RE1 / 91RE2 (SS-N-27 Sizzler)

The 91RE1 (Klub-S) and 91RE2 (Klub-N) anti-submarine torpedoes, use a separating underwater missile with a hydro-acoustic seeker and have been designed to destroy submarines. They differ only in their booster configuration. In the Klub-S, the missiles are launched from the submarine's torpedo tubes, while the Klub-N uses ship-mounted launchers and so can fire in any direction.

The submarine-launched 91RE2
anti-submarine missile.
Both variants use a rocket-booster to reach the designated target area. This considerably extends the
target-engagement range in comparison to a conventional torpedo. In the case of the 91RE2 variant,
it allows surface vessels to create a far larger defensive perimeter against submarine threats.
The
91RE2 weights 1200 kg and has a maximum range of 40 km. The 91RE1 variant allows the launch
submarine to engage the target submarine much earlier than a conventional tube-launched torpedo.
The 91RE1, is designed to be launched from a 533mm torpedo tube at depths of up to 150 meters
while the launch submarine is traveling at up to 15 knots. The missile weighs a total of 2050 kg. At
the maximum launch depth, target engagement can be at a range of up to 50 km.

http://www.dtig.org/docs/Klub-Family.pdf

Last edited:

ladder

Country flag
Sorry my bad 3M54E1 is missile which would be used. from TT tubes of surface ships having AShM capability.

For surface vessels of smaller displacement or with shortened torpedo launchers, the system uses the 3M-54E1 anti-ship missile, which has a booster and a subsonic cruise sustainer stage, but carries a heavier warhead than the 3M-54E missile.
After launch from either a vertical or angled deck-mounted launcher or from a submarine torpedo tube, the 3M-54E and 3M-54E1 follow similar trajectories. At an altitude of up to 150 metres, the solid-propellant booster is jettisoned, the under-fuselage air intake is extended, and the air-breathing sustainer engine is started.
Klub (SS-N-27) ASCM

laughingbuddha

Country flag
For a ship of its size and tonnage one expected a limited surface warfare and air defence capanility along with its primary anti-sub role.

Warhawk

On May 13, 2014 DCNS announced that in mid-March 2014 Garden Reach Shipbuilders and Engineers (GRSE), Kolkata had accepted without reservation the first of the two port raft-mounted gearbox for the Project 28 Kamorta class ASW Corvette INS Kavaratti.
GRSE have orders to build four Project 28 Kamorta class ASW Corvettes for the Indian Navy at a cost of approximately Rs. 1,700 crore each. The ships - INS Kamorta, INS Kadmatt, INS Kiltan and INS Kavaratti - have very low under water noise signature and low radar cross section. They are the first stealth corvettes designed and built indigenously.
P28 corvetts have with more than 80 percent indigenous content and are capable of fighting under NBC (nuclear, biological and chemical) environment.
In 2006, GRSE entered into a contract with DCNS for the design and integration of four pairs of raft-mounted gearboxes intended for the propulsion of the four P28 ASW corvettes.
Under the agreement, DCNS was to produce two raft-mounted gearboxes for the first corvette in France on the DCNS Nantes site. The remaining six gearboxes were to be produced in India by DCNS' industrial partner WIL (Walchandnagar Industries Limited).

Thum! Kaun Aata Hai?: GRSE Accepts Gearbox for Fourth P28 ASW Corvette INS Kavaratti

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles