Kamorta Class ASW Corvettes

Gessler

Country flag
Is INS kamorta a stealth one?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Yes, the X-form hull design and IR-suppression technologies provide the Kamorta-class with a level of low-observability features.

Anupu

Country flag
Yes, the X-form hull design and IR-suppression technologies provide the Kamorta-class with a level of low-observability features.
I had a question, I the images we see of the III and IV of Kamorta class during their launch. The superstructure is still red. Is it because it is made of composites? I mean to confirm that their superstructure is made of composites.

INS KAVARATTI

Gessler

Country flag
I had a question, I the images we see of the III and IV of Kamorta class during their launch. The superstructure is still red. Is it because it is made of composites? I mean to confirm that their superstructure is made of composites.

INS KAVARATTI
There is a level of composite metallurgy being used in all modern Indian-made warships. As of why it's red, it's because it still has the anti-fouling paint on, i.e. it's not painted as yet. All parts of the ship's hull & superstructure are in that color before being painted in grey. For e.g. this is a Kolkata-class hull before painting -

Although the red color is still a form of 'paint', it's purpose is to make sure algae and such stuff does not stick to the ship. In our case, I'm not entirely sure what's the composition of the red color and why it's all over the ship, but yeah, the basic explanation is that it's not painted yet.

Anupu

Country flag
There is a level of composite metallurgy being used in all modern Indian-made warships. As of why it's red, it's because it still has the anti-fouling paint on, i.e. it's not painted as yet. All parts of the ship's hull & superstructure are in that color before being painted in grey. For e.g. this is a Kolkata-class hull before painting -

Although the red color is still a form of 'paint', it's purpose is to make sure algae and such stuff does not stick to the ship. In our case, I'm not entirely sure what's the composition of the red color and why it's all over the ship, but yeah, the basic explanation is that it's not painted yet.
Ok because I am trying to look at the image hard I cant see a difference between the steel hull and the composite superstructure described by a few sources. Is my approach wrong?

Gessler

Country flag
Ok because I am trying to look at the image hard I cant see a difference between the steel hull and the composite superstructure described by a few sources. Is my approach wrong?
Well, what I can say is that even if the superstructure is pure composite, you won't be able to see it on the outside. By the time the ship is ready for sea trials, the superstructure will also be painted in the same shade of grey that the hull is now.

Anupu

Country flag
Well, what I can say is that even if the superstructure is pure composite, you won't be able to see it on the outside. By the time the ship is ready for sea trials, the superstructure will also be painted in the same shade of grey that the hull is now.
OK final question for today :D, is this image a true design of Project 17 A or just someone's fancy. Thanks

shiphone

Country flag
again...as I corrected before, it's in Russia, it's 1135.6 frigate... pay a little more attention to what you have in hands...

here's the construction of P15A

--------------------
but something more persuasive for the the question...

P15A/P17 in the dock....click for the full size image with the detail

Last edited:

Gessler

Country flag
OK final question for today :D, is this image a true design of Project 17 A or just someone's fancy. Thanks

That is an artist impression, but the real design is unlikely to be much different.

Gessler

Country flag
again...as I corrected before, it's in Russia, it's 1135.6 frigate... pay a little more attention to what you have in hands...

here's the construction of P15A

--------------------
but something more persuasive for the the question...

P15A/P17 in the dock

My mistake! Thanks for the correction!

Sabru Foxtrot

Sabru Foxtrot
Indian Navy Ships during Combined Commanders Conference on board INS Vikramaditya at Sea, off the coast of Kochi.

Anupu

Country flag

================

Philipines is pretty intrested in buying 2 small frigates from GRSE, many think it will be a kamorta derivative, If that happens it would be an interesting design, we may find more markets for it.

Spectre

Country flag
What kind of depth charges and mines do there vessels carry ? If any

sbm

Country flag
GRSE was disqualified from the competition for having an insufficient net financial contracting capacity as required by Philippine procurement regulations.

ADAS 2016: Philippines set for modern warships

HHI would be building them now.
:frusty::frusty:
I met with HHI in 2014 and they were so smugly confident of winning this deal it was uncanny. GRSE tried - they won on technical grounds they lost out on not having sufficient cash reserves.

Cutting Edge 2

Space Power
GRSE was disqualified from the competition for having an insufficient net financial contracting capacity as required by Philippine procurement regulations.

ADAS 2016: Philippines set for modern warships

HHI would be building them now.
:frusty::frusty:
There must be some bribery involved which is not uncommon in Philippines. INC used to do the same thing in India by selecting only those who where willing to grease their hand.

sbm

Country flag
Corruption in arms deals is endemic globally. It takes all sorts of forms. I had the sickening experience of a Government Minister (an old friend) asking me to intercede with Damen (when we bought ships from them) to make donations trying to fool me by saying "it's all above board and legal". A Chinese company said "they would take care of me" if I would put in a good word for their ship. It is very depressing.

charlie

Country flag
Corruption in arms deals is endemic globally. It takes all sorts of forms. I had the sickening experience of a Government Minister (an old friend) asking me to intercede with Damen (when we bought ships from them) to make donations trying to fool me by saying "it's all above board and legal". A Chinese company said "they would take care of me" if I would put in a good word for their ship. It is very depressing.
Well my experience with defence industry is completely different specially in US and Canada we saw a paramount amount of changes made between 2016-2017 in companies code and conduct policy as well as trade policy related to international client, government agency and military.

There were times when our sales guys use to take people from military and government agency for expensive lunch (about $1200 for 4 people ) and golf trips.

Now everyone needs to get approval even to buy $20 lunch, that too you can only spend $50 an year per individual. ( approval needs to be taken before you spend money on an individual)

Every quarterly training presses more on export policy, shady deals and shady contractors.

Maybe European defence contractors need to get their shit together.

Prashant12

Country flag
Sitharaman to commission indigenous INS Kiltan on Oct 16

New Delhi [India]: Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will commission indigenously built INS Kiltan, an anti-submarine corvette, on October 16 in Vishakhapatnam.

INS Kiltan represents a leap forward in the Indian Navy’s attempts at indigenisation with as much as 90 percent of its content drawn from India itself.

The keel of INS Kiltan was laid in August 2010 and it was launched in Kolkata on March 26, 2013 by Chitra Joshi, wife of Admiral D. K. Joshi, then Chief of Naval Staff.

INS Kiltan is third of the four Project 28 warships. Project 28 was approved in 2003, and construction of the lead ship, INS Kamorta was started in August 2005. Two of the four corvettes, INS Kamorta and INS Kadmatt were commissioned in 2014 and 2016 respectively. The remaining one INS Kavaratti is under construction and is slated to be completed by the end of 2017.

INS Kiltan and INS Kavaratti are to be more advanced than their elder ships. INS Kiltan is capable of fighting under nuclear, biological and chemical environments. It will be a frontline warship of the Indian Navy with advanced stealth features and a low radar signature that enhances its anti-submarine warfare capability. The original INS Kiltan – an anti-submarine corvette – was decommissioned in 1987.

The Kamorta-class corvettes or Project 28 are a class of anti-submarine warfare corvettes currently in service with the Indian Navy. Built at Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE), Kolkata, they are the first anti-submarine warfare stealth corvettes to be built in India.

The platform and major internal systems of this class of corvettes are indigenously designed and built. The corvettes are named after the islands in the Lakshadweep archipelago.

The Kamorta class corvettes are intended to succeed the Kora-class corvette by precedence and Abhay-class corvette by role.

The corvette’s design was originally planned to be based on the Russian corvette Project 2038.2, however, the basic design was later provided by the Indian Navy’s Directorate of Naval Design, followed by the detailed design by GRSE.

The design includes many stealth ship features, including reductions in acoustic signature and vibration of the vessels. (ANI)

https://www.siasat.com/news/sitharaman-commission-indigenous-ins-kiltan-oct-16-1240681/

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles