Kachin dha , Ancient Burmese Sword - My Family Heirloom

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
I am sure he was a brave warrior but i am also sure that if he had a lighter weapon he would have defended himself better and not get decapitated. I hate decapation particuarly when i saw a video last week of soldiers getting beheaded by Muslims in Dagistan. A lighter sword would have been easier to shield and fight back.

Iamanidiot

@Blackwater a heavy sword is a pain in the butt in burma jungles where malaria and monsoon are hell.Just look at the sword I posted it is simple and light weight the most suited tool in Burma for defence and survival with the right amount of weight.This sword was used in WW-2 is so the tale in my family

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Holding a Katana or tachi without official permit is against the Arms act. It could land you in jail.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Bwahahaha! Bleach fan. :D
Well cant practice the little Muso Shindo Ryu Battojitsu and the Hino Ryu that I learnt. Helped to keep me fit atleast.

Always preferred the sword over the projectiles.

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I was always told Swords used in combat are not supposed to be kept at home. Even Mahabharata is not supposed to be kept a home.

If anyone however is interested in buying swords, antiques or new, they can try their luck at shops in the Bangla Sahib Gurudwara complex, Delhi.

PS: JP that thing is bloody awesome, get it insured and keep it in a locker.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I was always told Swords used in combat are not supposed to be kept at home. Even Mahabharata is not supposed to be kept a home.

If anyone however is interested in buying swords, antiques or new, they can try their luck at shops in the Bangla Sahib Gurudwara complex, Delhi.

PS: JP that thing is bloody awesome, get it insured and keep it in a locker.
Singh paaji, most warrior traditions don't allow the weapons to be kept in the house. That is because of the aura that a home environment has. The aura or the energy that is around a sword or a weapon (for the warrior) is divine. It is an extension of his limbs and his soul. In times of trouble it protects him and allows him to protect his tribe/community/country/kingdom etc.

This is the reason why most of our warrior groups have a separate small "shrine" or a small altar built for weapons. This is common throughout Asia. It has a lot to do with the energy surrounding a weapon.

I also keep my family patangs outside my house in an adjoined altar. It is a martial weapon that has deep spiritual history associated with my family. Such weapons if kept at home, it doesn't bode well to be used in warfare.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
So, the discussion about swords and armor is a real interesting one! The Sword from IAI is a real cool one - a "Dha" is a sword from Burmese origin.

Dha (sword) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But the term "Dha" also found in some Indian languages - in Assamese it means a long machete, in Bengali/ Oriya it is a short but heavy Machete.

A Heavy sword is essential against heavy armor and cavalry. The famous examples are the longwords and broadwords of Europe. Cold/ frigid open plains with mounted enemies are the best place to use such swords. A longsword (4-5 pounds) can take down a light cavalry while a true two-handed broadsword like the Claymore (7-9 pounds) can take down a heavy cavalry. However, even those were not 15 kilos in weight. That type of weight is fearsome, but maybe good against Heavy armored horses. In Northern Indian plains of Punjab, they might be useful against Mughal armors.

The Two-Handed Great Sword

In hot, humid places (especially with dense vegetation), a large heavy sword is as useful as a bamboo stick. You cannot wield it freely, most of your enemies will be fast and stealthy and you will die of a hundred cuts before you get the chance to hack off someones head.

p2prada

Well cant practice the little Muso Shindo Ryu Battojitsu and the Hino Ryu that I learnt. Helped to keep me fit atleast.

Always preferred the sword over the projectiles.
Ah! Would any day prefer the Bushmaster to all that. :p

How many iai jutsus are there?

Come on. You know that's superstition.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles