K-5 SLBM: India’s Next Big thing?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
^^ Saurav Jha, who is usually very well informed in these matters has tweeted that it has been postponed. I suspect he did not mean by a few hours.
wait and watch look for Hemant guy, he has all the info.................

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
I am pretty sure that something behind the scenes is going on. Paki land also cancelled its planned test . Maybe our deep state is under pressure from Chinese to back down or else things will heat up on borders.
dont know about Pak or care about them, we have to see what is in our interest and we have to protect it at all cost. Earlier Chief used to be great, they were all from the old IGMDP, they had experienced the MTCR and had taken India in the missile field where it is today, new guys are not doing PDV or PAD tests, we are seeing less test of important missiles.

SurgicalStrike

DRDO should put more concentration on developing sea based nukes. A5 is enough for now!!!:india:

Superdefender

K-5 SLBM: India’s Next Big thing?
BY DEFENCEUPDATE · OCTOBER 8, 2017

K-5 is a nuclear capable submarine-launched ballistic missile reportedly being developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for the Indian strategic forces’ underwater platforms.It will arm the future variants of Arihant class submarines of the Indian Navy.

The K-series of missiles supposedly have better and lighter rocket casings, advanced guidance technologies for greater accuracy and a capability to fly depressed trajectories to stay away from missile defence systems for longer. Named after Kalam, a secret family of advanced weapons is taking shape but the Government is yet to decide on the induction of their land-based variants.

In a dramatic breakthrough in its nuclear offensive capability, India has successfully tested a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) with an eventual range of 3,500 km. Tested secretly off Visakhapatnam in January last year, the 10-m long and 1.3-m wide missile emerged from a pontoon submerged 50 m underwater and breached the surface. Painted black and white so that it can be distinguished in water, it has passed a critical parameter.

K-4 is quite significant in a batch of new-generation counter-strike strategic missiles. The top secret indigenous “K” missiles are faster, lighter and stealthier. They also make India only the sixth country to develop undersea strategic missiles.

K-5 SLBM will have a range of in excess of 6000 km with 2-tonne payload which can carry four multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle (MIRV) warheads of 500kgs each.

While the Actual range of K-5 will remain classified but with MIRV warheads, the missile will be able to hit targets as far as 8000-10000 km. Indian Government seems to be non-committal to confirm if the development of Agni-VI with MIRV is under development but many Defence analysts think that India might be under tremendous pressure to cap its land-based ICBM program in lieu for support from other countries for its NSG entry, this might force India to divert its focus on SLBM development.

The family of K-Series of Submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) developed by India has been developed under countries Black Project while maintaining a high level of secrecy. K-15 SLBM has 750-1000 km ranged the first missile from K-Series, which was followed up by the development of K-4 SLBM which has a 3500-5000 km range and now next missile to be developed will be K-5 with a reported range of over 6000 km with MIRV Warheads.

India at present is constructing Three Arihant Class Nuclear ballistic missile Submarine and lead INS Arihant Submarine already has been inducted into Indian Navy and work on Second Submarine is nearing completion and work are already underway on the third submarine.

India also plans to construct bigger and better Nuclear ballistic missile Submarines post completion of work on Arihant Class Submarines new larger which will be designated as S5 and will be as big as Ohio class nuclear-powered submarines currently used by the United States Navy.India is also planning to develop Six indigenous Nuclear attack Class Submarines to patrol vast Indian ocean.

Link: http://defenceupdate.in/k-5-slbm-indias-next-big-thing/

HariPrasad-1

Country flag

SOURCE: VISHAL KARPE / FOR MY TAKE / IDRW.ORG / IMAGE COPYRIGHT : IDRW.ORG

idrw.org . Read more at India No 1 Defence News Website , Kindly don't paste our work in other websites http://idrw.org/k-5-slbm-indias-next-big-thing/ .

While India is currently busy carrying out preparation for Developmental trials of countries longest K-4 Submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) in next few days, the buzz around is that next big thing to emerge in Indian Strategic calculus in missile technology might be seeing fastening development of K-5 SLBM over Agni-VI. Not so secretive K-5 SLBM will have a range of in excess of 6000 km with 2-tonne payload which can carry four multiple independently targetable reentry vehicle (MIRV) warheads of 500kgs each. While the Actual range of K-5 will remain classified but with MIRV warheads, the missile will be able to hit targets as far as 8000-10000 km. Indian Government seems to be non-committal to confirm if the development of Agni-VI with MIRV is under development but many Defence analysts think that India might be under tremendous pressure to cap its land-based ICBM program in lieu for support from other countries for its NSG entry, this might force India to divert its focus on SLBM development. After series of Developmental trials of Agni-V, India has come under severe Chinese media criticism and some diplomatic pressure from allies to maintain a low profile due to which new pictures of Agni-V launches have not been released, also it has gone missing from Republic Day parade. The family of K-Series of Submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) developed by India has been developed under countries Black Project while maintaining a high level of secrecy. K-15 SLBM has 750-1000 km ranged the first missile from K-Series, which was followed up by the development of K-4 SLBM which has a 3500-5000 km range and now next missile to be developed will be K-5 with a reported range of over 6000 km with MIRV Warheads. India at present is constructing Three Arihant Class Nuclear ballistic missile Submarine and lead INS Arihant Submarine already has been inducted into Indian Navy and work on Second Submarine is nearing completion and work are already underway on the third submarine. India also plans to construct bigger and better Nuclear ballistic missile Submarines post completion of work on Arihant Class Submarines and is also planning to develop Six indigenous Nuclear attack Class Submarines to patrol vast Indian ocean. Disclaimer : Articles published under ” MY TAKE ” are articles written by Guest Writers and Opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. IDRW.ORG is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of IDRW.ORG and IDRW.ORG does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same. article is for information purposes only and not intended to constitute professional advice . Article by VISHAL KARPE , cannot be republished Partially or Full without consent from Writer or idrw.org Note: If you have personal opinion and want to contribute for” MY TAKE ”on Defence matters kindly email us at [email protected]

idrw.org . Read more at India No 1 Defence News Website , Kindly don't paste our work in other websites http://idrw.org/k-5-slbm-indias-next-big-thing/ .

http://idrw.org/k-5-slbm-indias-next-big-thing/
If K5 is a depressed Trajectory missile like K15 and K4, It can not hit targets with multiple bombs far far away like a MIRV ICBM. It requires elevation for MIRV to glide to the targets.

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
Yeah they are going to have headache, got few more for that hypersonic weapons proliferation, just watch them, looks like a fool.
In the previous report they had mentioned India more than any country they were claiming to have hypersonic missile/glider technology.

Superdefender

I am trying to guess the yield of each K-5 warhead and therefore, the maximum capacity of K-5. With the present technology, USA is able to generate 130kt yield per 100kg mass with its most advanced MIRV warhead W88. Our design is not as advanced as theirs or at that par, atleast yet. They have come to a point where they have successfully decreased the diameter of their warhead. Not only that, they have more punch per weight.

Diameter of W88 is 0.55m and that of Trident-II D-5 SLBM is 2m. This SLBM can carry upto 12 W88s but as per treaty, now only carries maximum 8. I have drawn a sketch below demonstrating how 12 warheads will fit in Mark-V Re-entry vehicle. View attachment 20834

As you can see, all 12 warheads can be fit that way. As they can carry mostly 8, minimum 4 of them will be dummy warheads. Each W88 weighs 360kg yeilding 475kt. 12x360kg=4320kg and 12x475kt=5700kt. TRIDENT-II can carry a max warhead of 4.3tn (Throw to weight) and its maximum yeild is 5.7Mt if 12 MIRV warheads are used. Using 8, yeild will be 3.8Mt.

Now as I have already said above, we have not come upto that advanced point when we can decrease our MIRV warhead diameter to 0.55m. My right guess is in between 0.8-0.9m. K-5 SLBM's diameter is supposed to be 2m. With 0.9m d, we can accommodate max 4 MIRV warheads. If warhead diameter is 0.8m, we can pack 4 as well as 1-2 more dummies. So you see, mathematically we can conclude the max no. of warheads K-5 can carry. We don't have to search for Dr. Saraswat words.

K-4 can take 2tn warhead so I think K-5 can take 2.5tn. But as a safe guess, we take 2tn. We can accommodate 4 warheads max. So each warhead will weigh 500kg. Now assuming if we can generate 50kt/100kg, each 500kg warhead will yeild 250 kt. Hence entire 2tn K-5 will produce 1Mt. If our warhead capacity is even low, say 30kt/100kg, then each 500kg warhead will yeild 150kt taking K-5 capacity to 600kt. Thus, max yeild of K-5 will be 600kt-1Mt with MIRV. You can calculate likewise if the Throw-weight of K-5 is 2.5tn.

I am not an expert in this field. I want to answer this as a Layman perspective. Members should say If I am right or partially right or entirely wrong in my analogy. Thank you for reading.

tmp-cam-152123825.jpg

Last edited:

aditya10r

Mera Bharat mahan
Country flag
I am trying to guess the yield of each K-5 warhead and therefore, the maximum capacity of K-5. With the present technology, USA is able to generate 130kt yield per 100kg mass with its most advanced MIRV warhead W88. Our design is not as advanced as theirs or at that par, atleast yet. They have come to a point where they have successfully decreased the diameter of their warhead. Not only that, they have more punch per weight.

Diameter of W88 is 0.55m and that of Trident-II D-5 SLBM is 2m. This SLBM can carry upto 12 W88s but as per treaty, now only carries maximum 8. I have drawn a sketch below demonstrating how 12 warheads will fit in Mark-V Re-entry vehicle. View attachment 20834

As you can see, all 12 warheads can be fit that way. As they can carry mostly 8, minimum 4 of them will be dummy warheads. Each W88 weighs 360kg yeilding 475kt. 12x360kg=4320kg and 12x475kt=5700kt. TRIDENT-II can carry a max warhead of 4.3tn (Throw to weight) and its maximum yeild is 5.7Mt if 12 MIRV warheads are used. Using 8, yeild will be 3.8Mt.

Now as I have already said above, we have not come upto that advanced point when we can decrease our MIRV warhead diameter to 0.55m. My right guess is in between 0.8-0.9m. K-5 SLBM's diameter is supposed to be 2m. With 0.9m d, we can accommodate max 4 MIRV warheads. If warhead diameter is 0.8m, we can pack 4 as well as 1-2 more dummies. So you see, mathematically we can conclude the max no. of warheads K-5 can carry. We don't have to search for Dr. Saraswat words.

K-4 can take 2tn warhead so I think K-5 can take 2.5tn. But as a safe guess, we take 2tn. We can accommodate 4 warheads max. So each warhead will weigh 500kg. Now assuming if we can generate 50kt/100kg, each 500kg warhead will yeild 250 kt. Hence entire 2tn K-5 will produce 1Mt. If our warhead capacity is even low, say 30kt/100kg, then each 500kg warhead will yeild 150kt taking K-5 capacity to 600kt. Thus, max yeild of K-5 will be 600kt-1Mt with MIRV. You can calculate likewise if the Throw-weight of K-5 is 2.5tn.

I am not an expert in this field. I want to answer this as a Layman perspective. Members should say If I am right or partially right or entirely wrong in my analogy. Thank you for reading.

View attachment 20837
Nice write up dude.

Really appreciate that.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Vinod DX9

Country flag
Anup sir what is K-2 & K-6? And,please, if any link available of it

IndianHawk

Country flag
Hope all are HGV, hypersonic glide vehicle.
Explination part about HGV is good in Rand Corp video

Check out @RANDCorporation’s Tweet:
Hehe when have proliferation control ever work before. China:pound: these morons learn nothing from North Korea fiasco. What a bunch of loosers .

Global Defence

New threads

Articles