K-4 Missile

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
re: Breaking news: K-4 missile tested

i was proven wrong by DRDO, i thought that due to lot of activity for MH 370 and almost coming of new political master, DRDO would have saved these type of tests to please new political masters to get better funding. But this is surprising, they have put the country first and not the petty things. :hail: :hail: :hail:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

This is excellent news.
Congrats to the scientists and engineers.
Any possibility that this was actually tested from Arihant?
they will not test it from Submarine for Arihant as it is unproven system. One false move and it will endanger lives of our navy guys, right now Indian navy is going through rough phase.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

@Kunal Biswas sir they have not release name of the missile, can it be A3SLBM ? report does not say it is K4.

Some bird told me two different project and two different teams are working on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

laughingbuddha

Country flag

Excellent news.
So when do we expect the MIRVs?

ubuntu

Tihar Jail
Banned

It does not rule out Arihant :-D
it is mentioned in the above report.if itz really from arihant then we would have seen the news from all world news channels.

Bheeshma

Hey > 2000 km can mean anything from 3K to 6K km. :thumb:. Next need the BMD missile PDV to be tested followed by full range test of K4/5 or whatever this was.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

Congrats for SLBM.

But now we need to acquire new subs on priority.

indiatester

Country flag

it is mentioned in the above report.if itz really from arihant then we would have seen the news from all world news channels.
I got it. I have a case of too much wishful thinking today. :thumb:

ubuntu

Tihar Jail
Banned

I got it. I have a case of too much wishful thinking today. :thumb:
got you bro .I also had the same wish and actually visualised arihant firing it.

makmohan

Congratulations DRDO.. really a suprising news on SLBM, I was actually waiting for any word on Nirbhay

p2prada

@sayareakd

It should have a new name. Just like how Prithvi became Dhanush. K-15 and K-4 are just codenames.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Re: Breaking news: K-4 missile tested

Big step in getting a credible undersea deterrent. Extending range is not an issue. Even if we get a say 3000-4000km range which this K4 was always supposed to be, it will be enough to strike Chinese eastern seaboard, Beijing from a safe distance

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Re: Breaking news: K-4 missile tested

This is first publicised test of K4, as earlier also test of this black project were published by India Today. Plus best part is that we have master the tech where missile is launched from.submarine.

This same tech will be seen in next launch of A5 with cold launch canister.

wont be bad idea to have 20+ underwater pantoon launchers with live missiles till 5-8 ATV become operational.

WMD

India test fires K-4 SLBM

India tests new underwater nuclear missile

NEW DELHI: India has test-fired a submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) with a "longer range" than that of the existing one of 750-km in the quest towards building a credible nuclear weapons triad.

The new SLBM with a range over 2,000 km, tentatively dubbed K-4, was tested from a submersible pontoon in the Bay of Bengal on Monday. The test came up for discussion in the annual DRDO directors' conference, attended by defence minister A K Antony and national security advisor Shivshankar Menon here on Tuesday, said sources.

The new missile, part of the "K" series of underwater missiles being developed by DRDO, will have to be tested several times, first from pontoons and then finally from submarines, before it can become operational.

While India for long has had land-based Agni missiles and fighters jury-rigged to carry nuclear weapons for deterrence, constituting the land and air legs of the triad, the lack of an operational SLBM has been a big operational gap.

The 750-km range K-15 SLBM, which has undergone around a dozen tests from pontoons, is yet to be tested from a submarine. That will happen only after the first indigenous nuclear submarine INS Arihant goes for sea trials later this year.

Though the miniature 83 MW pressurized light-water reactor on board the 6,000-tonne INS Arihant went "critical" on August 10 last year, it is yet to attain the full power needed for the submarine to head for sea trials.

During these 18-month-long extensive "sea-acceptance trials", the 10-tonne K-15 missile -- which can carry a one-tonne nuclear payload - will be fired from the four silos on the submarine's hump. Two more nuclear submarines are being built to follow INS Arihant under the secretive ATV (advanced technology vessel) project at the ship building centre in the naval dockyard at Vizag.
India tests new underwater nuclear missile - The Times of India

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles