John Kerry Gaffes, Washington Backpedals

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Oops: John Kerry Gaffes, Washington Backpedals | TIME.com

John Kerry's week began on a high note, with the resumption of Middle East peace talks after months of dogged effort on the Secretary of State's part. But it's closing on a more awkward one, as officials in Washington clean up after two apparent gaffes Kerry made yesterday in Pakistan yesterday.

The gaffes came in different flavors. One amounted to wishful thinking about American policy on drones. Another articulated U.S. policy towards Egypt with a bit too much candor.

First was Kerry's answer to a question from a Pakistani reporter about America's ongoing, and extremely unpopular, drone campaign in Pakistan, in which he suggested the drone strikes might be about to stop:

"I think the program will end as we have eliminated most of the threat and continue to eliminate it," Kerry said. "I think the President has a very real timeline, and we hope it's going to be very, very soon." Was Kerry announcing a dramatic policy shift? Nope. Within hours a State Department spokesperson had walked back his comments, saying: "This was in no way indicating a change in policy"¦. I have no exact timeline to provide."

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Kerry is an interesting chap.:wink:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles