Jew 'shouting Allahu akbar' shot dead at Jerusalem's Western Wall

pmaitra

Jewish man 'shouting Allahu akbar' shot dead at Jerusalem's Western Wall

A young ultra Orthodox Jew watches the scene close to the Wailing Wall Photo: EPA

A Jewish Israeli man was shot and killed by a security guard at the Western Wall early on Friday morning after shouting "Allahu akbar" (God is Great).
[HR][/HR]
The 46-year-old Israeli, who was well known in Jerusalem's Old City and is reported to have worked at a local soup kitchen, was shot at least eight times. Despite the efforts of emergency medics who attempted to revive the man for more that 20 minutes, he died at the scene from his wounds.

The security guard, who witnesses said was is in his mid twenties, told Israeli police officers that the man had emerged from the bathroom area towards the rear of the Western Wall Plaza at around 7.40am, shouted "Allahu akbar" and appeared to remove an object from his pockets, which the guard considered suspicious. Believing the man to be a Palestinian attempting a terror attack, he opened fire.
Source: Jewish man 'shouting Allahu akbar' shot dead at Jerusalem's Western Wall - Telegraph

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Vinaash Kale, Vipreet Buddhi.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Oh ill tell u the history!
That will be the day when I would have to learn History from a guy who grew up reading books of fiction institutionalized by a dictator as history!

Ever heard of Paranoid personality disorder?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Ever heard of Hezbollah?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:

DivineHeretic

Country flag
It is a pretty sad incident, It might have been amusing had it not for the fact that an innocent died.

Though in the defense of the guard, there have been hundreds, if not thousands of precedents of men, women and children blowing themselves up after shouting these verses. At that moment there was no way of determining the intent or motivation of the victim, and with the possibility of suicide bombing, there was no way a guard could have shot the hands or knee.

We had a similar situation, albeit in a military zone, where a mentally challenged kid was shot dead by Military Police for refusing to stop climbing the fence walls.

This is not a justification for the act. But it does show that in a society on hair-trigger alert, under sustained threat of vilence, an innocent act can easily spiral into a fatal incident.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
It is a pretty sad incident, It might have been amusing had it not for the fact that an innocent died.

Though in the defense of the guard, there have been hundreds, if not thousands of precedents of men, women and children blowing themselves up after shouting these verses. At that moment there was no way of determining the intent or motivation of the victim, and with the possibility of suicide bombing, there was no way a guard could have shot the hands or knee.

We had a similar situation, albeit in a military zone, where a mentally challenged kid was shot dead by Military Police for refusing to stop climbing the fence walls.

This is not a justification for the act. But it does show that in a society on hair-trigger alert, under sustained threat of vilence, an innocent act can easily spiral into a fatal incident.
That's not a proper comparison. The Wailing Wall is over 2000 years old and is among the most sacred sites in Judaism.
Israel being under surrounded by hostile Arab states and under constant threat of Islamic terrorism, I would say: the man was an idiot and that the soldier did the right thing.

DivineHeretic

Country flag
That's not a proper comparison. The Wailing Wall is over 2000 years old and is among the most sacred sites in Judaism.
Israel being under surrounded by hostile Arab states and under constant threat of Islamic terrorism, I would say: the man was an idiot and that the soldier did the right thing.
I did not intend to compare the two incidents. My apologies if I sounded so. I was only citing the incident to show that 'innocent' acts could lead to deaths, particularly when the security personell misjudge your intent.

As for the guard being right or wrong, it would probably depend of the perspective and the experience of the individual judging the act. Btw, I'm not talking in legal terms, I strongly believe he was legally within his right to shoot, especially given the scenario there.Had it not been for the suicide bombers, there would be little justification for the fatal shooting though.

Different countries would have different SOPs though. In the UK, unless the guy actually pulled up a bomb or stated shooting, he wont shot, and even then most definitely not fatally.
In Russia or the US shouting would not invite the shooting, but any suspicious movement that followed most definitely would get you drilled.
Different countries, different experiences, different perspectives.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Why did he shout "Allahuakber"? I think he was shot by the guard by some misunderstanding and now he is making it up to save his back. Or he heard it wrong. Or the poor man shouted to mock the Muslims made Allah angry :p

A similar incident happened in India few years back. A Airforce officer forgot his ID card and tried to entering the airbase admonishing the guard in typical Indian manner. The guard immediately shot him.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Was he a Jew or an Israeli Arab?

Global Defence

Articles