Jeev's coach forced to remove turban at Milan airport

SHASH2K2

Jeev's coach forced to remove turban at Milan airport

New Delhi: India's star golfer Jeev Milkha Singh's coach Amritinder Singh Tuesday faced harassment at the Milan airport where he was forced to remove his turban before being allowed to board the flight to Sicily in Italy.

Jeev, who was accompanied by Amritinder, protested but they were sternly told by the security officials that his coach could either remove the turban or not board the flight.

"It is a personal insult as I have travelled all over the world and even though security officials put their detectors around my turban, I have never had to remove my turban. For me, it is like being asked to strip in public," said Amritinder in a statement.

"I also told them that they could look at my passport and see that I am a sportsperson and have never been humiliated like this, but they refused to comply. I even told them that this is not security but harassment," he added."

"I belong to a country whose Prime Minister wears a turban, and I feel that my nation should take up such issues with other countries. I do not want to stand in the way of safety regulations, but a person's personal privacy has to also be respected," said Amritinder.

Jeev, son of legendary athlete Milkha Singh, said it was a horrifying incident.

"My father wears a turban and I would be horrified if he was told to remove it unnecessarily and unrespectfully in front of hundreds of people," said Jeev.

Amritinder is currently travelling with Jeev for three tournaments on the European leg of his schedule and will be playing the Sicilian Open this week.

Blackwater

Iam sure they must have asked him to remove turban in private room not in front of everybody. Iam being a Sikh, don't see any problem with that. Air travel security is imp over everything. There should be no problem if they asked him to remove turban in pvt room.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Iam sure they must have asked him to remove turban in private room not in front of everybody. Iam being a Sikh, don't see any problem with that. Air travel security is imp over everything. There should be no problem if they asked him to remove turban in pvt room.
Im am not a sikh but i take offense.

Because it is not a security matter but jerks harassing people just for fun....remember these people who check at airports are usually lowest of the low.

SHASH2K2

By Private room you mean toilet? Because as per one news report is the place they took him instead of a separate room..

Last edited:

amitkriit

Because it is not a security matter but jerks harassing people just for fun....remember these people who check at airports are usually lowest of the low.
I agree, I have personally suffered this. They use law to satisfy their ego.

Oracle

This is a security issue and must be accepted. Sikhs and any other alike. But, if you feel, you are being racially targeted, punch those schmucks in the face! And when they are bleeding, tell them, "I ain't no Pakistani mate!"

Blackwater

By Private room you mean toilet? Because as per one news report is the place they took him instead of a separate room..
no no lolllllll. by pvt room i mean there are separate rooms or rest room or Interrogation rooms available at airports

Blackwater

you are right at some extent. Airports in US, Canada, UK and Holland understand who are Sikhs and importance of their turban. May be employees at Italy's airport must be educated about Sikhs.. As sikhs are the largest ethnic population in Italy after UK in EU..

Tronic

This is a security issue and must be accepted. Sikhs and any other alike. But, if you feel, you are being racially targeted, punch those schmucks in the face! And when they are bleeding, tell them, "I ain't no Pakistani mate!"
The irony never ends, does it?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles