Jeep looks to shift production to China

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
In another potential blow for the president's Ohio reelection campaign, Jeep, the rugged brand President Obama once said symbolized American freedom, is considering giving up on the United States and shifting production to China.

Such a move would crash the economy in towns like Toledo, Ohio, where Jeeps are made and supplied, and rob the community of the economic security they thought Obama's auto bailout assured them.
Jeep, an Obama favorite, looks to shift production to China | WashingtonExaminer.com

rockdog

Country flag
I like Land Rover more than Jeep, my second car should be Land Rover, but thanks the heavy duty, the price is $USD80000 even for the cheapest one...

W.G.Ewald

Professional
I like Land Rover more than Jeep, my second car should be Land Rover, but thanks the heavy duty, the price is $USD80000 even for the cheapest one...
I like the MB Geländewagen.

J20!

Country flag
I like the MB Geländewagen.

Hahaha! That looks a bit too "hip hop" for you Ewald...

On a serious note though, I feel that US public opinion on China as a whole is shifting to a "they steal our jobs" mentality, forgetting that at the end of the day, many US companies struggling to survive in this period of economic hardships, need China's cheap, but highly skilled labour to survive.

US labour may be preferable for the US public in terms of employment, but it's becoming more, not less difficult to support their wages for US and US based companies. That's the reality, and you cant really blame Obama for the economic slow down now can you?

I'd rather they keep Jeep manufacturing in the States to avoid the ensuing "we hate China" ruckus, but China can hardly refuse such employment opportunities. And let's not forget that we the Chinese buy more American brand cars than Americans do...

Last edited:

bose

Country flag
The brand JEEP is now owned by an Indian Car Manufacturer "Mahindra & Mahindra". If at all the production line is to be moved out of USA it should ideally come to India similar to what the same Car manufacturer has done after acquiring the korean SUV maker SyengYong.

It makes scense to bring the production line to India as in 3/4 years of time India is going to become worlds third largest car maker.

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Hahaha! That looks a bit too "hip hop" for you Ewald...

On a serious note though, I feel that US public opinion on China as a whole is shifting to a "they steal our jobs" mentality, forgetting that at the end of the day, many US companies struggling to survive in this period of economic hardships, need China's cheap, but highly skilled labour to survive.

US labour may be preferable for the US public in terms of employment, but it's becoming more, not less difficult to support their wages for US and US based companies. That's the reality, and you cant really blame Obama for the economic slow down now can you?

I'd rather they keep Jeep manufacturing in the States to avoid the ensuing "we hate China" ruckus, but China can hardly refuse such employment opportunities. And let's not forget that we the Chinese buy more American brand cars than Americans do...
Jeeps will still be made in the States. A trade war with China would put too many Americans out of work.

average american

The brand JEEP is now owned by an Indian Car Manufacturer "Mahindra & Mahindra". If at all the production line is to be moved out of USA it should ideally come to India similar to what the same Car manufacturer has done after acquiring the korean SUV maker SyengYong.

It makes scense to bring the production line to India as in 3/4 years of time India is going to become worlds third largest car maker.
Jeep is a brand of American automobiles that is a marque of Chrysler Group LLC, a multinational automobile manufacturer in a global strategic alliance with Fiat.[2] The former Chrysler Corporation acquired the Jeep brand, along with the remaining assets of its owner American Motors, in 1987. Jeep's line of vehicles consists solely of sport utility vehicles and off-road vehicles but has also included pickup trucks in the past. Can you show me a source that JEEP is owned by Mahindra & Mahindra

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The brand JEEP is now owned by an Indian Car Manufacturer "Mahindra & Mahindra".
I don't think Mahindra owns the "Jeep" brand. Although it may have bought the right to exclusively manufacture some of Jeeps old models. They are two different things.

J20!

Country flag
It would put a lot more Chinese out of work then it would americans.
Sure, but it would still crash both economies. Don't forget that China is the no. 1 market for US goods... The American car making industry would be dead for one.

This has got to be the funniest, warmest cold war ever seen. You could shoot you adversary, but you'd be shooting yourself in the process. The economic version of Mutually Assured Destruction. What I think is the reason no outright open conflict will occur between China and the US for the foreseeable future, almost similar to the rivalry between the US and the SU, just switch the thousands of nuclear warheads with trillions in trade...

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles