Jaya produces proof on Gandhi’s intent to dissolve Congress

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by vram, Apr 3, 2013.

1. vram

vram Regular Member

CHENNAI, APR 2:
    Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa today presented documentary evidence to Congress members in the state Assembly to validate her minister’s argument that Mahatma Gandhi wanted to dissolve the century-old political party after Independence.

Responding to a demand by some Congress members, who had sought proof that Mahatma Gandhi had advocated dissolving of Congress after Independence, Jayalalithaa stunned them by reading out excerpts from ‘The Collected Works of Mahatma Gandhi — Volume 90.’

“Though split into two, India having attained political independence through means devised by the Indian National Congress, the Congress in its present shape and form, i.e., as a propaganda vehicle and parliamentary machine had outlived its use,” the CM read out, embarrassing the Congress members.

During a discussion yesterday, Municipal Administration and Rural Development Minister K P Munusamy had said Gandhi wanted to dissolve Congress after independence, a contention refuted by Congress members S Vijayadharani and Prince.

They claimed Gandhi had never said anything on those lines and demanded proof from the minister, who said it is history and there is no need to produce any proof.

However, Jayalalithaa came up with proof to vindicate her minister’s stand.

LOL!! Somebody is going to be butt hurt today !!:laugh: She really is a firebrand when she wants to be

3. parijataka

parijataka Senior Member Senior Member

Very intelligent and well spoken lady but mercurial. :thumb:

4. nrupatunga

nrupatunga Senior Member Senior Member

Congress a "propaganda vehicle", hmmm, it seems Mahatma was able to see ahead in time.:hail:

5. W.G.Ewald

W.G.Ewald Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2 Defence Professionals

Selective excerpts don't prove her point. Gandi saying that "...the Indian National Congress...had outlived its use" is not they same as "I intend to dissolve Indian National Congress."

And Congress members were embarrassed?:dude:

6. thakur_ritesh

thakur_ritesh Administrator Administrator

What has happened over the years is that the Indian political parties, pretty much across the board and without fail, have been congressised. That has been the biggest falling of the great grand party of India.

7. SamwiseTheBrave

SamwiseTheBrave Regular Member

do elaborate on what you percieve to be the difference... i think its quite clear what the intent is from those words

8. W.G.Ewald

Gandhi said that "...the Congress in its present shape and form, i.e., as a propaganda vehicle and parliamentary machine had outlived its use.”

You believe he intended to dissolve Indian National Congress.

Could he have meant that the "shape and form" of Congress should be changed at that time?

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  9. SamwiseTheBrave

even then it would have been the congress only in name and not in behavior i.e. de facto dissolution and only retention of the "brand name" ,so to speak. the congress as it exists today is still a very effective propoganda machine and of course uses parliamentary means to achieve its aims.

10. W.G.Ewald

Here are some quotes from Mark Twain on the US Congress. Enjoy.

Fleas can be taught nearly anything that a Congressman can.
    - What Is Man?

...the smallest minds and the selfishest souls and the cowardliest hearts that God makes.
    - Letter fragment, 1891

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    - Mark Twain, a Biography

Congressman is the trivialist distinction for a full grown man.
    - Notebook #14, Nov. 1877 - July 1878

All Congresses and Parliaments have a kindly feeling for idiots, and a compassion for them, on account of personal experience and heredity.
    - Mark Twain's Autobiography; also in Mark Twain in Eruption

The lightning there is peculiar; it is so convincing, that when it strikes a thing it doesn't leave enough of that thing behind for you to tell whether--Well, you'd think it was something valuable, and a Congressman had been there.
    - Mark Twain's Speeches, "The Weather"

It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly native American criminal class except Congress.
    - Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar

It is the foreign element that commits our crimes. There is no native criminal class except Congress.
    - More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927

Whiskey is carried into committee rooms in demijohns and carried out in demagogues.
    - Notebook, 1868

...I never can think of Judas Iscariot without losing my temper. To my mind Judas Iscariot was nothing but a low, mean, premature, Congressman.
    - "Foster's Case," New York Tribune, 10 March 1873

11. SamwiseTheBrave

GUFFAWS.... mark twain was prescient in describing the Indian Congressman so aptly :rofl: