Jawans clash with officers in army camp in Leh

pmaitra

Ha Ha Ha ..... so for you, the crux is "why Stalin sent so many of the Tsarist officers to the gallows" .. you would have been foremost instigator and calling for gallows !!
Thank you for your insightful comment. Very informative indeed!

Read what the army says. Calling this a mutiny is mischievous reporting. It is quite obvious who is instigating right now, isn't it? ;)

pmaitra

What is mysterious is that were the women also staying in tents, wherein there are no doors as such and instead there are flaps. The so called 'bathroom' is a small 40 lb tent that is just behind. It can't be that the lady was bathing with flaps open. I thought they were staying at the GREF camp. GREF camps are proper barracks and rooms!

The CO should not have admonished the officers in front of troops. That is never done since it reduces the authority of the officers.

Beating is a crime as per Army Act - Ill treating a Subordinate is the wording.

The soldiers should have never lost their cool. They should have taken up the issue with higher authorities. In short, what they did is take law into their own hands. It is obvious that they have taken weapons or else where is the problem of entering the unit and arresting them?

Collectively breaking the military protocol is mutiny as per the Army Act, no matter who started it.

If the Batman system goes, then it will be a sloppy army. Spit and polish gives a sense of aura that is essential. What are medals for or the ranks on the shoulder? That could also go so that no one knew who is who and all would be equal. Interestingly, the Chinese army has brought back all these trappings of authority and valour!

Is a DM or a Police officer entitled to orderlies or help? Just visit them and see what is going on. Or visit a Ministers or an IAS chap's house. In short, it will find a backdoor entry and it will be worse.

Community based Regiments build up spirit. Like anything else in life, it has pros and cons. BTW, this Regt which has ruined the reputation of the Army is not a Community based unit. So, nothing is perfect and nothing can be predicted.

It is because we are shedding old traditions and become 'sexed up' with fancy scientific and egalitarian theories and practice that we are having all these issues.

Do read Philip Mason's "A Matter or Honour" to understand what makes the Indian Army click and he has handled the issue most fairly including berating the British for any practices.
Thanks for your comments Ray Sir.

Collectively breaking the military protocol is mutiny as per the Army Act, no matter who started it.
Then it were the majors who started the mutiny.

If the Batman system goes, then it will be a sloppy army. Spit and polish gives a sense of aura that is essential. What are medals for or the ranks on the shoulder? That could also go so that no one knew who is who and all would be equal. Interestingly, the Chinese army has brought back all these trappings of authority and valour!
Hierarchy is one thing, but with equality, the Soviet Army did prove to be quite different from a sloppy army. I am sorry, I don't agree with that.

Community based Regiments build up spirit. Like anything else in life, it has pros and cons. BTW, this Regt which has ruined the reputation of the Army is not a Community based unit. So, nothing is perfect and nothing can be predicted.
True, there are pros and cons.

Please read the third paragraph of the opening post and tell me, has that not, despite individual bravery, hurt the reputation and morale of the troops? It was the Kumaon Regiment: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/military-history/35075-rezang-la-13-kumaon.html

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Thanks for your comments Ray Sir.

Then it were the majors who started the mutiny.
It is not who started.

It is who were participating in it.

The officers did not start the mutiny. They ill treated a subordinate. They will not go scot free.

Hierarchy is one thing, but with equality, the Soviet Army did prove to be quite different from a sloppy army. I am sorry, I don't agree with that.
If an Army is not heirarchial, who the hell will obey orders? And why should they? Why should a sane human being go into an attack knowing fully well that his chances to come out alive is slim? Do you really believe that fiery nationalism is in all?

True, there are pros and cons.

Please read the third paragraph of the opening post and tell me, has that not, despite individual bravery, hurt the reputation and morale of the troops? It was the Kumaon Regiment: http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/military-history/35075-rezang-la-13-kumaon.html[/QUOTE]

Third para reads

Even so, Brigadier Hoshiar Singh, commanding his men atop Sela, refused to withdraw. He argued he was adequately equipped and fully prepared to take on the Chinese. He was forced to leave on pain of being court-martialled, and was ambushed and killed by the Chinese.
However, note the issue below. It will indicate what I mean by bonding and why one should not break the community based Regts.
As it happened, among the dead there were three members of the same family, two brothers and their brother-in-law (sister's husband). They were the ones who had given the company early warning of the Chinese assault. A large number of men, though not related to one another, belonged to the same village!
Further, they are raising Arunachal Scouts with Arunachalis and who will operated in that area one. They will be defending their home and hearth. Now who will be more motivated to do so - Arunachali or someone from Punjab?

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Thank you for your insightful comment. Very informative indeed!

Read what the army says. Calling this a mutiny is mischievous reporting. It is quite obvious who is instigating right now, isn't it? ;)
Political statement honed by years of being subservient and honed by Indian politics. Deals! And compromises!

Same thing like that Corps Cdr working out a 'deal' with the muntineers!

If he had the personality, he would not work out any deal. His personality should have been adequate.

But then personality is at a premium these days.

A commander should command respect and not expect it because he packs brass on his shoulders! That can be got by hook or by crook!

A commander must be a troops man and not a mere Annual Confidential Report awardee pandering to his seniors whims and being politically acceptable - be a play safe chap and somehow finish his command without any hassles! The US Army calls it 'ticket punching'

The famous saying is - war? not in my time. Hence, 5 star living and fun!

Kargil and 3 Inf Div. Rings a bell?

Last edited:

Oracle

pmaitra,

While I agree to your views that if someone does a peeping tom, he should be beaten up, but this is a professional army we are talking about. In my organisation, if someone say for arguments sake, passed a lewd comment at say my wife, it would be juvenile of me to beat that guy. I would rather report this matter to the management. OTOH, if it is my neighbour, chances are high that one of us land in a hospital.

IA is known for integrity, ethics and professionalism and I too find it disturbing that things came to such a sorry state that an entire regiment is disbanded.

Adux

Country flag
All that is required is some honest soldiering and less of following the US techniques and procedures, which maybe OK for the US, but not for India.
Brigadier,

I really would like to know how United States is connected in this?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Let's be honest here, most of us (warm blooded) would have gone ape shit if some guy working under us walked into room while the wife was having a bath.

pmaitra

Third para reads

Even so, Brigadier Hoshiar Singh, commanding his men atop Sela, refused to withdraw. He argued he was adequately equipped and fully prepared to take on the Chinese. He was forced to leave on pain of being court-martialled, and was ambushed and killed by the Chinese.
However, note the issue below. It will indicate what I mean by bonding and why one should not break the community based Regts.
Ray Sir, you have not answered my question.

A unit wants to fight till death. That unit is ordered to retreat. The unit refuses. Is that or is that not mutiny? That is collective insubordination and tantamount to court martial.

Just because someone refuses to take commands, if that has to be blindly labeled as mutiny, then there are many brave, including Brigadier Hoshiar Singh, who are almost mutineers.

The army statement makes complete sense to me. This cannot be termed mutiny.

Moreover, a leader has to command respect, not demand it. When they don't live up to their standards, and bring their wives into a training exercise, and then beat up somebody, and on top of that refuse medical aid, and also beat up the CO, it is quite clear who is to be blamed. These majors have simply lost their right to hierarchical superiority, and lost respect in the eyes of their men. So many men got agitated - why? It is pretty obvious that they realized it wasn't the fault of the soldier that he walked onto the major's showering wife. What was she doing there - against protocol? When officers behave like this, they end up getting beaten by sticks.

There is a nice movie called K-19, the Widowmaker. There, the Captain of the Soviet Submarine, (Harrison Ford), tells his men, "Without me, you are nothing; without you, I am nothing!" Makes complete sense to me. Every officer should endeavour to earn the respect of their men, failing which, they should simply step down.

Also, it is high time we got rid of this 'batman' system. Enough of this hierarchical bottom-kissing. Everyone in the Soviet Army was a comrade first, ranked combatant next. 'Tovarish Kapitan,' 'Tovarish Komandiir,' etc., were common ways to address others. Yes, they did have a hierarchy, but everytime one addressed the other, they were reminded that everyone was 'Tovarish' first, and anything else, second.

In hindsight, I don't see too many reasons to blame Stalin for purging thousands of his Tsarist officers. Evil? Yes! Necessary? Yes again! This is my opinion, but not only mine, but also, that of Vladimir Putin. I am glad Stalin got rid of at least some of the Imperial vanity.

P.S. (1): I have seen the pictures you shared with me. Thank you for sharing. You were a good leader and earned the respect of your batman. That doesn't always happen. My comments above are despite that.

P.S. (2): Tovarish means comrade.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Let's be honest here, most of us (warm blooded) would have gone ape shit if some guy working under us walked into room while the wife was having a bath.
A good movie Tunes of Glory tells the story of an XO of a Scottish Regiment in Canada who bashes a corporal who he finds dating his daughter. The CO yields to pressure not to prosecute, and ends up a suicide.

With Alex Guiness and John Miles. I recommend it.

Tunes of Glory (1960) - IMDb
This is the story of a conflict between two senior officers in the cloistered environment of a Scottish military regiment. Major Jock Sinclair has been the acting Colonel of the Regiment for a lengthy period of time. He is admired and respected by officers and men alike and there is a general assumption that he will be made their commanding officer. To everyone's surprise, they learn that Lt. Colonel Basil Barrow has been named to the post. Although a member of the Regiment, Barrow left as a young subaltern, made his career in staff functions and is basically unknown. Barrow is a strict disciplinarian compared to Sinclair's easygoing approach and as he tries to impose his own style of leadership on his command, he struggles to gain the loyalty of his officers, particularly that of Sinclair who bristles at being a second-in-command with little to do. A final confrontation between the two men leads to tragedy for both of them.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Brigadier,

I really would like to know how United States is connected in this?
I don't intend to speak for BG Ray, but the US Army would turn the incident into an unending investigation and courts-martial, with introduction of racial overtones at every juncture, and civilian lawyers stacked many layers deep.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

A unit wants to fight till death. That unit is ordered to retreat. The unit refuses. Is that or is that not mutiny? That is collective insubordination and tantamount to court martial.

Just because someone refuses to take commands, if that has to be blindly labeled as mutiny, then there are many brave, including Brigadier Hoshiar Singh, who are almost mutineers.

[/I]
Army can not run on whims and fancies. If Brig Hoshiar Singh was ordered to withdraw, he will jolly well withdraw consequences not being his responsibility. No one should fight his war in the Army. It is leadership's war which goes right up to the PM. One may disagree with a lawful command but can not disobey. This much basic should be clear.

In the instant case the majors are clearly guilt of assault and affray wherein they should have been put under arrest by their CO. The others are clearly chargeable for mutinous conduct.

pmaitra

Army can not run on whims and fancies. If Brig Hoshiar Singh was ordered to withdraw, he will jolly well withdraw consequences not being his responsibility. No one should fight his war in the Army. It is leadership's war which goes right up to the PM. One may disagree with a lawful command but can not disobey. This much basic should be clear.

In the instant case the majors are clearly guilt of assault and affray wherein they should have been put under arrest by their CO. The others are clearly chargeable for mutinous conduct.
Again, beating around the bush.

Had Brig Hoshiar Singh and his men disobeyed the commands and continued to fight the PLA till death, would that have been a mutiny? Yes or No? No beating around the bush.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
I presume a PA to a Minister is also a slave and so is the peon of the DM and the orderly to the SP.

I assure you the Sahayak is treated better.
Even they are treated as slaves and these practices should be abolished. I have seen ministers shouting at senior rank civil servants, its just disgusting. The new egalitarian folks like us would never take such jobs.
The way peon is treated is built into the babu-system and so is this batman. It is right time to take corrective measures. And we need to get over this so called "aura" feeling which comes only when we have boot-polishing people under us.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Again, beating around the bush.

Had Brig Hoshiar Singh and his men disobeyed the commands and continued to fight the PLA till death, would that have been a mutiny? Yes or No? No beating around the bush.
You seem to be beating around and flogging the issue..
yes, disobeying the lawful command collectively is a mutiny..

That would have been mutiny.......... but you have too many doubts !!

pmaitra

You seem to be beating around and flogging the issue..
yes, disobeying the lawful command collectively is a mutiny..

That would have been mutiny.......... but you have too many doubts !!
I figured out your response: YES.

Thank you for your response!

P.S.: Yes, I have too many doubts, and I like to ask questions and argue. Sorry if it makes you uncomfortable. If you are expecting people to blindly take your words for it, you are at the wrong place. If asked, answer, or say you don't know. Don't complain - it makes you look silly.

pmaitra

You are worse than Stalin...
I take that as a compliment.

Be glad you are not a Tsarist officer while I am in power.

P.S.: Just kidding. Take it easy my man, this is just the internet. Go, step outside, get yourself a bottle of Coca-Cola, and chill!

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I take that as a compliment.

get yourself a bottle of Coca-Cola, and chill![/I]
OH again an injection. I would prefer to get outside and do anulom belom under a Banyan (peepal) tree rather than get gassed up with your Coca Cola

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
Time to go for another skirmish...in Kashmir or Kargil...to strengthen our soldiers minds..:laugh:

Anyone know how far, the paki's & chinese are staying from our border?.

2 days ago heard pak rangers violated ceasefire in poonch. From where or from how far are they firing at our checkposts?.

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

The army statement makes complete sense to me. This cannot be termed mutiny.
I did not understand what you wanted to know when you asked me to see Para 3.

Now I know.

Let me take you through the paces of withdrawal so that I hope I can explain in detail so that you understand it in its perspective.

There are two things that can happen when a position become untenable due to overwhelming enemy action:

(a) Withdraw in a systematic way as per the Ops of War Withdrawal technique. Or,

(b) Have a Rout – means, taking off like scared rabbits in a disorganised way.

When a sub unit, unit or formation withdraws, a part of the force (let's call it A) holds the enemy at bay, while the other part (let's call it B) withdraws to the next suitable area for defence.

When they (B) are established, the part that was in contact with the enemy (A) withdraws and goes beyond to the rear of where B is and takes up position.

This 'leapfrogging' to the rear happens till they all come to the position decided by the higher commander where the Force will hold the enemy from any further advance.

Now, this is a much organised activity and not chaotic.

In a rout, there is no command and control and there is no unit cohesive. It is everyone for himself. The attacker aims to achieve a rout on the defender since that would make the attacker's task easier.

Therefore, if Brig Hosiyar Singh did not withdraw, he only endangered the others who were withdrawing as per plan. In war, one has to conform to the higher commander's plan rather than indulging in heroics. Now, if the higher commander is incompetent, it is just bad luck. No one should endanger the others who are adhering to orders and obeying the dictates of a plan.

The unit as a whole cannot decide to flout an order. If an order is being flouted, it is the head of the formation/ unit/ sub unit who is flouting since the troops will obey any order given by the head of that organisation. It is all fine for dramatic effect to state that the unit refused to withdraw.

Please note, the army does not 'retreat' (which is chaos) and instead 'withdraws (which is an organised manoeuvre).

It sounds very patriotic to claim 'the unit refused to retreat', but that is not how things happen. It happens in films and fiction. Hence, the unit did not 'mutiny'. It merely obeyed the CO's order. The CO was thus guilty of 'gross insubordination' and should have been charged so.

I hope I have been able to explain the issue.

Moreover, a leader has to command respect, not demand it. When they don't live up to their standards, and bring their wives into a training exercise, and then beat up somebody, and on top of that refuse medical aid, and also beat up the CO, it is quite clear who is to be blamed. These majors have simply lost their right to hierarchical superiority, and lost respect in the eyes of their men. So many men got agitated - why? It is pretty obvious that they realized it wasn't the fault of the soldier that he walked onto the major's showering wife. What was she doing there - against protocol? When officers behave like this, they end up getting beaten by sticks.

There is a nice movie called K-19, the Widowmaker. There, the Captain of the Soviet Submarine, (Harrison Ford), tells his men, "Without me, you are nothing; without you, I am nothing!" Makes complete sense to me. Every officer should endeavour to earn the respect of their men, failing which, they should simply step down.
It is not known as to why the wives were at the practice camp.

During a practice camp, even spectators and VIPs at the OP end, cannot smoke or drink. That is how serious it is.

However, after the practice camp, if there is a 'picnic spot' nearby, it could be that it was decided to go there and have a picnic. Possible. Maybe it is here that the things went out of control.

Men or Officers cannot go 'out of control'. The reason is simple. It is what differentiates a disciplined and organised body from a Mob.

Also, it is high time we got rid of this 'batman' system. Enough of this hierarchical bottom-kissing. Everyone in the Soviet Army was a comrade first, ranked combatant next. 'Tovarish Kapitan,' 'Tovarish Komandiir,' etc., were common ways to address others. Yes, they did have a hierarchy, but everytime one addressed the other, they were reminded that everyone was 'Tovarish' first, and anything else, second.

In hindsight, I don't see too many reasons to blame Stalin for purging thousands of his Tsarist officers. Evil? Yes! Necessary? Yes again! This is my opinion, but not only mine, but also, that of Vladimir Putin. I am glad Stalin got rid of at least some of the Imperial vanity.
By using the word Tovarich, it does not in any way make the Russian Army egalitarian. It is all cosmetic.

Are you aware how they treat their soldiers? Hardly very comrade like!

Another week brings two more horrible stories about senseless brutality in the Russian army. This time one of the victims is 19-year old Radik Habirov from Kazan, who was brought in to a local hospital weighing only 65 pounds and is now in a coma. This is the worst case of documented abuse in the Russian Army since the widely reported case of Pvt. Sychev six months ago. Last week in Moscow more details emerged from closed hearings about the extent of Pvt. Sychev's mutilation. Even Army doctors accustomed to seeing scars and broken bones from abuse have been shocked at how severely Pvt. Sychev was tortured by his comrades.

http://www.russiablog.org/2006/07/russian_army_needs_a_reform.php
Most of us are good leaders.

But then there are deviates too!

BTW, sahayaks are not just picked up and ordered to become one. People are asked who would like to be a sahayak and then and then only, is he sent.

There are cases where a chap is ready to be a sahayak to A but not to B.

And likewise, everyone does not want to be an ADC to a General or to the Governor or even the President either.

Also, the jawans are not all so bhola bhala chaps as is made out in the media hype that is ingrained in the public mind.

It is fashionable to feel that the those who are in the position of authority (be it in the Forces or in the Govt or even civil) are all scoundrel and those who are the worker ants are made of sugar and spice and all that is nice. This is the image that has been fashioned by the politicians after votes, where the lower echelons are hopelessly being deprived and ill treated and discrimiantd by those who are better off in position than them!

One hears of 'poor jawans dying' in war. Please check the ratio of those who died in wars and it will be realised that officers are way ahead in 'dying for the Motherland' (sounds patriotic, right) if the ratio is taken. But then who mentions them and even if they do, it is 'poor junior officers dying'.

Again check the ratio, have you not heard of COs dying and they surely are not junior officers.

Even Brigadiers have been killed!

We all serve and serve with dedication.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles